Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan/Lodge Winterisation Antifreeze
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Caravan/Lodge Winterisation Antifreeze

Good morning the collective.

We purchased a new and very nice full residential spec Willerby Lodge this year up in the Lake District and we need to winterize it although the heating will be kept on via a Hive Thermostat which we can monitor. This is our first venture into lodges and caravans full stop.

We have been told we still need to take precautions even though we have a Caraguard Drain Down System (https://www.caraproducts.co.uk/how-it-works/) which works well Smile

Toilets, showers and sink u-bends still need to be protected as I guess freezing cold air is under the chassis.

When you start looking for biodegradable antifreeze the prices are all over the place from £15 per litre to circa £24 for 5 litres - but which one to trust?

Some examples would be:

https://www.thecaravanwarehouse.co.uk/Prod...ables/WWS5

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124988092464?ep...R7bKga7pYA

Any steer would be gratefully received before we commit to buy the Caraflow as that seems the most reasonable?

As always, thanks in adavance.
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #230788717th Sep 2022 10:07 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

69 views and nuffinck Big Cry
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #230800818th Sep 2022 3:49 pm
Bubblehead

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 3

I use this stuff on the toilet system and fresh water system on a boat. Have never had an issue.
Don’t know if it’s the cheapest but most convenient for me to pick up.
Literally pour it in the fresh water tank and run everything u til it comes out the other end.
https://www.marinesuperstore.com/winterizi...-non-toxic
There may be better stuff but it’s worked fine for me for many years.
 2005 Disco3 HSE Auto 😁  
Post #230803919th Sep 2022 7:48 am
Kilovolt

Thumbs Up

Cheapest so far (per litre) Bow down

Post #230805919th Sep 2022 1:08 pm
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Not knowing anything about this I'm interested to know why you need to worry about the u-bends freezing, being open ended presumably it's not the expansion that's the issue?

Post #230815620th Sep 2022 5:15 pm
Kilovolt

Good point but as this is a 12 month site I can come and go as I please. If you arrive and the u-bends are frozen you would have the devil’s own game to thaw them. No sinks, now showers and no toilets Rolling Eyes

Hence just keep them protected Thumbs Up

Post #230815720th Sep 2022 5:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >