Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

CB Radio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
CB Mount

The DIY roof rail mount looks neat and tidy CFB and just the job - Ill be seeing TFC tomorrow so will see what he has in his toolbox!

For those looking for CB bits and pieces, I've been using Thunderpole for quite a while. They are very helpful and knowledgeable on the phone as well Thunderpole Home Page

Post #2693117th Mar 2008 8:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

DG wrote:
I have a Midland Alan 42 Multi which is an excellent portable. Have a neat piece of heavy duty velcro just to the right of the radio binnacle (near to my left knee) and on the back of the CB ...I just stick it on as and when required ....very sturdy and convenient. Aerial runs through to the back of the motor and up through the tailgate and onto the rack ...all without any holes Thumbs Up

DG, how do your run your cable out the back up to the roof without any holes? I'd love to see a photo!

Post #2700499th Mar 2008 8:30 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Gareth wrote:
I have a Midland Alan 42. Its a handheld, with a car kit. The aerial is a magmount on the rear of the roof, wire in through the tailgate seal.

Gareth, do you have a photo of this? I'm in the process of installing a HAM radio and looking for good ways to get to the roof antenna.

Post #2700539th Mar 2008 8:31 pm
Maverick

Scotland 

countrywide wrote:
I got a Sirio aerial, lost the allen key already Embarassed

Got many an allen key here, I can send you one if you like! Site donation of course! Thumbs Up
 Ben

1996 Defender 90 300 TDi 

Post #2700549th Mar 2008 8:32 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Maverick wrote:
countrywide wrote:
I got a Sirio aerial, lost the allen key already Embarassed

Got many an allen key here, I can send you one if you like! Site donation of course! Thumbs Up

Thanks for the offer Thumbs Up , but I found a multi allen key tool thing in the garage which seems to have the right size.

Last edited by countrywide on 9th Mar 2008 9:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2700919th Mar 2008 9:33 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

nwoods wrote:
Gareth wrote:
I have a Midland Alan 42. Its a handheld, with a car kit. The aerial is a magmount on the rear of the roof, wire in through the tailgate seal.

Gareth, do you have a photo of this? I'm in the process of installing a HAM radio and looking for good ways to get to the roof antenna.

Not got a photo, and the kit is in my 2a at the moment. It really easy though, I stick the magmount on the strip of steel behind the glass roof and infront of the tailgate (HSE spec). The wire just lies down the edge of the seal (gaffer tape to secure) and passes over the seal just below loadspace cover height. I then run it under the boot floor rubber mat , under the 2nd row seats, under the carpet mats in the rear, along the drivers side of the center console so that the connector lies adjacent to the front edge of the seat runner.

There is a tall blank plate to the right of the radio, I stuck some velco onto it. The corresponding velcro is on the back of the CB. The power adaptor is into the cigarette socket.

I dont permanently install the wire, as I need to be able to get it out easily. Most of the time I off-road in my 2a, so the cb lives in there usually.

Post #2701009th Mar 2008 9:47 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Help - Knight in Shining Armour Required

CFB wrote:
Home Made, rectangular piece of metal with a hole drilled for the antenna mount and another for a coach bolt that slides along the rail (courtesy of TFC)

Click image to enlarge

Is there a knight in shining armour on our Forum who has a spare domed nut and bolt to fit in a roof rail (as in the photo) that they could send me? I've made up the plate and drilled it, I've got my new aerial and mount but I've mislaid the nut and bolt that TFC gave me a few months ago! Help Big Cry

Post #32093712th Jul 2008 12:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrH

United Kingdom 

Hi guys,

I'm confused as to which model to go for Midland 38 Plus 80Ch, 78 Plus Multi or 98 Plus 80 Ch. They're all in the same sort of price bracket but which it the better - as you can guess I'm new to the subject. Right, touch paper lit, waiting for the results Whistle
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #32095112th Jul 2008 6:42 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They all work well, get the one with the features you want, keep an eye on the size too - smaller generally means easier fitting
I got a 98 Plus coz the channel display is on the left hand side so it's not obscured by the steering wheel where I have it fitted above my left knee and it's got the the ESP noise cancelling stuff that seems to actually work
 The End  
Post #32095512th Jul 2008 7:09 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

Cheers Slimer, I was erring towards the 98 but then saw the others. Thumbs Up

Just one more question - I'm looking at a combo deal with aerial and mount for £77, given the choice of large (155cm) or small (86cm) Spring aerial would you go for one of these aerials or are there better smaller ones?
Post #32096912th Jul 2008 8:50 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Larger is better when it comes to 27MHz, small 'spinger' will be fine for general use though. Quality cable and low SWR will help loads
 The End  
Post #32147713th Jul 2008 10:47 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Thanks again Slimer,

Would you suggest buying a SWR meter, or can it wait until a D3 meet where I could maybe borrow someone elses SWR meter? I.e. I thought it's not going to cause any long term damage to the unit, just not perform as well if I don't trim the aerial straight away, or is that assumption wrong?

Regards,

DN
Post #32155614th Jul 2008 9:30 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Matty , Martin ( Marcon) Im sure could bring his meter to Clonaslee.I think Im going to change my aeriel so was going to ask him to tune it in.

Post #32155714th Jul 2008 9:34 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

Sounds like a grand plan DW - I just need to get myself organised and buy the stuff before we come over Confused
Post #32158014th Jul 2008 10:40 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

BarryG wrote:
Just got in the post this morning my new rig Thumbs Up
I got a President Harry 11 (very tidy rig , cant beleive how small it is ) , Im going to have a go on saturday
and see if `i can get it to fit where the ash tray is ,

I went for a Sirio Mythos 9000 antenna and a Sirio Mag 145 Mount , The Quality of the
Sirio gear looks great and looks very smart up on the roof.

I also got a SWR meter and patch Thumbs Up

I'll pop up some pics once I have her in.

Matty , by pure coincidence myself & Martin got the same one as Barry above.We mounted them between the TR/Gear console and the pasenger seat.It's a tiny unit and fits in there perfectly and is in perfect reach of your left hand.They're a brilliant unit.

Post #32158414th Jul 2008 10:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >