Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Changing Xenon bulb in Xenon headllight
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

One of mine has gone too. Hoping its just got jiggled out of contact due to driving over the lunar surface that is Dublin's icy roads these past week. But if not, then care will be taken. HIDS4U will provide.

I once forgot to switch off an AC Drive before trying to unscrew the 600 VDC connectors on the capacitors on it. That was an interesting experience - I had to retrieve my screwdriver from where it had embedded itself in the wall on the other side of the room. But I had to use my left hand, as my right arm was so numb. Embarassed

Post #72961710th Dec 2010 10:55 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

For my own curiosity, I've been reading a bit more about HID lamps recently, a good quote (from here) : -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp#Burn..._operation

The ballast controls the current to the bulb. The ignition and ballast operation proceeds in three stages:

1. Ignition: a high voltage pulse is used to produce a spark – in a manner similar to a spark plug – which ionises the Xenon gas, creating a conducting tunnel between the tungsten electrodes. Electrical resistance is reduced within the tunnel, and current flows between the electrodes.
2. Initial phase: the bulb is driven with controlled overload. Because the arc is operated at high power, the temperature in the capsule rises quickly. The metallic salts vaporise, and the arc is intensified and made spectrally more complete. The resistance between the electrodes also falls; the electronic ballast control gear registers this and automatically switches to continuous operation.
3. Continuous operation: all metal salts are in the vapor phase, the arc has attained its stable shape, and the luminous efficacy has attained its nominal value. The ballast now supplies stable electrical power so the arc will not flicker. Stable operating voltage is 85 volts AC in D1 and D2 systems, 42 volts AC in D3 and D4 systems. The frequency of the square-wave alternating current is typically 400 hertz or higher.

The point being that the supply to the actual discharge lamp (bulb) is AC and not DC, so after disconnecting the wiring plug from the lamp unit, (necessary to remove it,) there will be no stored energy in the ballast unit and no danger of a shock.
 Clive

Post #72965310th Dec 2010 11:26 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ndsykes wrote:
One of mine has gone too. Hoping its just got jiggled out of contact due to driving over the lunar surface that is Dublin's icy roads these past week. But if not, then care will be taken. HIDS4U will provide.

I once forgot to switch off an AC Drive before trying to unscrew the 600 VDC connectors on the capacitors on it. That was an interesting experience - I had to retrieve my screwdriver from where it had embedded itself in the wall on the other side of the room. But I had to use my left hand, as my right arm was so numb. Embarassed

Have a spare xenon in the shed if you want it , will be in Dublin all next week.A few quid to any kids charity and it's yours.

Post #72969611th Dec 2010 12:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Damn it - should have read my emails before. I checked the bulb this morning and it had indeed gone, so I ordered a pair online.

Thanks for the offer though Wex. Top man...

Post #72980111th Dec 2010 12:50 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

thinking of changing bulb to 3000k "yellow" unit. much better for seeing things than the 4300k cold white light.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #73019112th Dec 2010 2:15 am
bensla

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting seeing the last post about colour temp - I was looking at mine the other night and thought one looked warm and one looked cool. I think I have one of each! Also they don't seem super bright (dipped) so wondering if they're due a replacement.

Post #235302313th Nov 2023 11:41 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Anything with such high voltages will have discharge resisitors built in. They sink the voltage within a second or 2 once power has been removed, if you want to be certain just make sure they have been off for a few minutes before you start the job.

The main thing to remember is if after putting it back together it doesn't work is to make sure you give it that delay after removing power before diving in to find what is wrong. I have seen a few people get bitten (me included) by the voltages because they assume that nothing worked when the supply may have been OK. At only 85v they are relatively safe but they can sting a bit (America class 110v as safer in comparison to 240v).
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #235310314th Nov 2023 6:16 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Throw the xenon bulbs away and fit LEDs instead, 1/4 of the cost and twice the brightness and they just plug in Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #235311914th Nov 2023 9:43 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

So ... do LED bulbs have same connection as Xenon or Halogen? Presumably you bin the ballast?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #235312214th Nov 2023 10:21 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Plug and play if you get the correct ones, look on ebay, mine are not adaptive. Been fitted about 3 years with no problems and no alterations to the ccf.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #235312314th Nov 2023 10:25 pm
bensla

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Tip for anyone changing these. Twist and remove the bulb connector anticlockwise before releasing the spring wire clip. This lets the plug and wire be moved out the way for the bulb to come out freely once the spring clip is released.

Post #235379622nd Nov 2023 9:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >