Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

A close one...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
A close one...

A couple of days after a nice off-road day with the local Land Rover club, involving some mud Very Happy my D3 developed a strange knocking sound. The knocks seemed more or less synchronous with the wheel rotation, so I expected maybe a stone in the caked mud would have worked its way into contact with the wheel, or something like that. So I cleaned the brakes and rims from mud, but the knocking sound remained.
I noticed that the sound came and went when slightly turning the steering wheel, or by selecting off-road height. As I could find no obvious cause, I went to the dealer for a check. They put it on stands, let the wheels spin free but no sound could be heard. They looked at the brakes and the drive shafts, but these seemed ok. They did notice that most of the underside of the car was still covered in caked mud, including the front and rear suspension, and even parts of the brakes too. So they told me that there was no serious fault with the car, and that the caked mud was most likely causing the sound. They told me to clean it thoroughly and to come back if the problem persisted after that. I went home, feeling a bit silly that I went to the dealer for a problem caused by a bad cleaning job... Embarassed

So, I cleaned the wheels, brakes, drive shafts and suspension even better last night but the sound remained. This evening, when I was about to leave the parking garage at work the knocking sound became a nasty scraping sound. With the failed wheel bearing of TFC's D3 in Spain freshly in mind, this sound made me very suspicious. As it was now so loud I could finally trace it to the left front wheel. I decided to jack up the car and feel if there was any play in the wheel bearing. Just when I was about to do that I noticed that the wheel nuts stuck out more than usual, and I found that 4 of the 5 nuts were so loose that I could easily remove them by hand! Shocked The wheel was just held in place by the one remaining wheel nut... Big Cry

I removed the wheel, inspected the wheel hub, the rim, brakes and suspension, but could find no obvious damage. So I re-fitted the wheel, tightening the nuts well. The nuts on the other wheels were all ok. Needless to say that the knocking and scraping noises were gone after this. Rolling Eyes I will definitely have a serious talk with the dealer. Evil or Very Mad

The whole thing left me with a number of questions:

- Will this situation have caused damage to the rim, wheel hub or other components around the wheel?
- What caused this? 2 months ago my D3 had its 20000K service. Will the dealer remove the wheels during that service?
-This wheel had been changed previously during the Marcanterra trip, but I checked the tension of the nuts when I got home.
Could it really have worked itself loose, and how could I prevent that from happening again?

It would have been quite a surprise if the wheel would have come off on the motorway Shocked

Quite surprisingly, only a very minor vibration could be felt in the car or through the steering wheel during all this. This was dismissed as caused by a bit of left-over mud on the rims.
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Last edited by Beaker on 28th Nov 2007 10:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22902928th Nov 2007 10:28 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 
Re: A close one...

Very lucky but...

Beaker wrote:
my D4 developed a strange knocking sound.

when did you get your D4????
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #22903828th Nov 2007 10:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Now don't say I didn't warn you Beaker.

see my first para of first post
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic15948.html?highlight=check
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #22903928th Nov 2007 10:38 pm
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hehe, well spotted Woody. Must be the whisky I am enjoying... Rolling with laughter Edited now Thumbs Up

Ronp: you did warn me, but I missed that post Laughing
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.