Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Considering a D4 - some questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Inspectorclueso

Considering a D4 - some questions

Hi there, just joined in the name of research on these, I have dropped into the welcome section as well...

I'm considering a D4 to replace our Mercedes E350 (2011 model) estate, for general family, towing and holiday duties. I need something with 3 proper seats in the back and preferable, 7 seat capability, which lands me on a D4 as an option. I'm going into this eyes open, as it does appears that I may need to deal with some 'issues' during ownership, but everyone told me that about the Range Rover L322 that I had for 3 years and 30k miles, which apart from routine maintenance, never gave me an issue...

Questions I have are:

Is there an optimum model year ? I see 2012 moved to SD and 8 speed which appeals, then it looks at though 2014 / 2015 are lower tax, possibly due to Euro 6 / ad blue. Any for / against points on these, if I have this right ?

I'm looking at some that seem to be on the cusp of needing the large belt service. How much does this cost roughly, so I can work out how I factor this in ?

If I purchased from a dealer, are any of the warranties actually worth the paper they are written on, or are the likely issues, all 'exclusions'. I tend to but privately if I can, as I don't need px and like to know who has had the car....

Would you consider a pre-purchase inspection worthwhile, or just a thorough going over with my own researched checklist ?

Oh...and not sure if this is the pace to ask, but has anyone considered alternatives. I'm open minded but I really struggle to see anything as versatile, including the important rear seat for 3 and occasional 7 seat capacity, plus high towing limits. I've looked at a new XC 90 but the rear row seats were awful in my opinion and the middle row seats not that spacious...

All info appreciated !

Post #22343205th Jun 2021 10:18 am
boodog

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Welcome to the group. I won’t try to answer any of the questions as I’m a born again owner having taken a break for a few years

What I will say is that if you buy a D4 the smile on your face will compensate for the running costs. If you want to turn that smile into an outright laugh take it off road (after some tuition) and you’ll be astounded at just what these iconic beasts can do.
 MY2016 SDV6 Graphite in Fuji White....... as I like to see the mud and scratches 🤪  
Post #22343305th Jun 2021 11:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Glasgow is banning older diesels from the city from June 2023, and diesels need to be Euro 6 compliant. That’s a situation which is only going to spread to other cities so keep that in mind.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #22343335th Jun 2021 11:32 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Inspector and welcome to the joys of Disco ownership, assuming you take the plunge Laughing

MY2012 moved to 8 speed gearbox and slightly higher BHP, you know its 8 speed if it has the round gear selector. September 2015 is when the Euro6 engines were fitted so lower RFL. As with any second hand car purchase, buy as late a model as you can whilst keeping reserves for inevitable servicing/maintenance.

Cam belts need to be replaced at the earlier of 7 years or 112,000 miles, cost is around £1,200.

Warranty - can't answer that as mine is over 100,000 miles so no experience. If you use the Search function you will get some idea if these are worth it.

I would suggest your own thorough inspection of the vehicle will pick the chaff from the wheat. View a few cars and test drive them to get a feel for what they do.

Personally I can't think of any other vehicle that is as versatile and gives that perm-a-grin feeling and has the ability to empty your wallet with ease Rolling with laughter
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #22343505th Jun 2021 1:36 pm
Inspectorclueso

Thanks for all of the replies so far, on the diesel ban point, yes I'm about 20 miles west of Birmingham which has just intro'd a clean air charge and I'm aware this will only spread to other cities. We very rarely drive into any cities though, we're semi rural, which is how I like it !

It does seem that the Sep 2015 onward cars are both fairly rare and demand a premium, so one to consider as to whether its worth it. What you save on tax, you more than pay for on the purchase...

Post #22343545th Jun 2021 1:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >