Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Crank Gone... D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Icarus

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

My heart goes out to you Gorilla63. I too love my D4, so understand exactly how you must feel.

Can I ask - Was it a main Stealer garage, an LR indie garage, or a general garage that did the service for you?

I do hope that you manage to find a replacement vehicle that brings you the same pleasure you had from your D4.

Best wishes. [/quote]
 I’m a Disco 4 believer. What a vehicle!  
Post #236955724th May 2024 4:28 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

PROFSR G wrote:
Wasn't there someone on here about a year or 18 months ago with a kaput D4 engine just after it was serviced by a garage?

I think this is the one albeit much more than 18 months ago. Tempus Fugit!
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic173275...nst+garage
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236956324th May 2024 7:10 pm
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 

Icarus wrote:
My heart goes out to you Gorilla63. I too love my D4, so understand exactly how you must feel.

Can I ask - Was it a main Stealer garage, an LR indie garage, or a general garage that did the service for you?

I do hope that you manage to find a replacement vehicle that brings you the same pleasure you had from your D4.

Best wishes.
[/quote]
Thanks, for this. Garage was a reputable LR workshop - no way suggesting anything untoward. Currently looking at getting the engine redone, or a 2022 RR. Looking at options.

Post #236965926th May 2024 1:41 pm
desv8

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I find posts like this horrific.

I totally get the reputable garage scenario but mistakes are made, how an oil change resulting in catastrophic engine failure after a couple of days can be put down to one those things, are they implying that had you booked your car in a week later it wouldn't have made it?

My daily drive a Skoda Superb went in for a cam belt, I picked it up and didn't get a mile up the road before it stopped, phoned the garage and was asked whether I had recovery, I had picked it up not five minutes earlier. I politely advised the garage that I had no intention of having the car recovered, I then politely advised that they were going to recover the vehicle, I then politely advised that they were loaning me a car until my car was rectified. Transpired that the belt had been installed incorrectly, 'one of those things' was the explanation. No explanation as to why the car given back to me this way as had obviously not been road tested. Skoda main dealer, even reputable garages make mistakes, we all make mistakes. I would be politely asking for a full explanation.

Wish you well with deciding your next steps Thumbs Up

Post #236973827th May 2024 10:37 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Gorilla63 wrote:
Absolutely gutted. D4 (2015 SDV6) been fautless and dependable - not a hint of trouble. Took her in for a 100,000 service came back with engine sounding different - a light diesel "clatter" is all I can describe it as. Initially I though a cover had been left off or a different oil was used - called the garage who advise nothing odd was picked up.
2 days on, vehicle stuttered and stopped. Recovered to the garage who advised the crankshaft had failed. Wholly Censored off. Loved that car. Not sure I'll do another - very tempted to get a D5, but not sure I want the frustration.

Hi

Wished to also add heartbroken for u that this has happened

Indeed seems very strange to come back with a noise leading to a crank failure seeing it was perfect before

Can easily see that it’s not wanted for nothing with the huge amount of time and expense you’ve spent

Hopefully u don’t have to write it off but understand ur in a difficult situation of what to do , moreover hope the garage has an excellent reputation by at least as a minimum going 50/50 towards a new engine if not more considering it happened shortly after

Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall if they have cameras inside the workshop as may be able to see what they did ??

All the best

Last edited by gstuart on 27th May 2024 11:02 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #236974027th May 2024 10:43 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

May I ask a daft question plse Whistle

Would it be possible if the garage left the oil filter housing slightly loose by accident then started the engine would that then cause oil starvation to the engine oil injectors by the crankshaft etc plse

Then realising it was loose , torque the filter housing but by leaving it loose at the start if that could cause irretrievable damage to the engine plse

Of course clutching at straws but was just a thought if that could happen in this scenario

Read somewhere that Dex crankshafts are supposed to be good but Genmot to be avoided , been watching the Barum engine video as he has started to take apart a SDV6 crank failure , know LR Time are also doing a gen 2 rebuild

Many thks

Post #236974127th May 2024 10:54 am
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 

desv8 wrote:
I find posts like this horrific.

I totally get the reputable garage scenario but mistakes are made, how an oil change resulting in catastrophic engine failure after a couple of days can be put down to one those things, are they implying that had you booked your car in a week later it wouldn't have made it?

My daily drive a Skoda Superb went in for a cam belt, I picked it up and didn't get a mile up the road before it stopped, phoned the garage and was asked whether I had recovery, I had picked it up not five minutes earlier. I politely advised the garage that I had no intention of having the car recovered, I then politely advised that they were going to recover the vehicle, I then politely advised that they were loaning me a car until my car was rectified. Transpired that the belt had been installed incorrectly, 'one of those things' was the explanation. No explanation as to why the car given back to me this way as had obviously not been road tested. Skoda main dealer, even reputable garages make mistakes, we all make mistakes. I would be politely asking for a full explanation.

Wish you well with deciding your next steps Thumbs Up

Thank you.

Post #236974227th May 2024 11:27 am
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 

gstuart wrote:
May I ask a daft question plse Whistle

Would it be possible if the garage left the oil filter housing slightly loose by accident then started the engine would that then cause oil starvation to the engine oil injectors by the crankshaft etc plse

Then realising it was loose , torque the filter housing but by leaving it loose at the start if that could cause irretrievable damage to the engine plse

Of course clutching at straws but was just a thought if that could happen in this scenario

Read somewhere that Dex crankshafts are supposed to be good but Genmot to be avoided , been watching the Barum engine video as he has started to take apart a SDV6 crank failure , know LR Time are also doing a gen 2 rebuild

Many thks

Not a daft question, thanks for your input, but would there not have been oil pressure warnings and error history to fall back onto?

Post #236974327th May 2024 11:30 am
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 

Update after a few weeks of consideration. I couldn't go with a Rangie, although i was tempted - didnt like the Volvo, Audi or even a Ranger. I've decided to put in a new engine into the D4. Probably crazy, but it should see me for a few more years.

Post #237092711th Jun 2024 11:03 pm
PROFSR G

Who's supplying the engine and who is fitting it?

There's plenty of engine remanufactures and rebuilders out there but very few quality ones!

Choose carefully, very carefully!!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237093011th Jun 2024 11:46 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Unless it's a genuine LR unit. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #237093111th Jun 2024 11:52 pm
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 

PROFSR G wrote:
Who's supplying the engine and who is fitting it?

There's plenty of engine remanufactures and rebuilders out there but very few quality ones!

Choose carefully, very carefully!!

Many thanks. This will be a new unit from JLR. I considered a rebuilt unit, but have seen some horror stories, so wentvwith a new JLR engine.

Post #237094012th Jun 2024 7:03 am
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
 Just 'cause you got the power... that don't mean you got the right.

Post #237094112th Jun 2024 7:11 am
Icarus

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Gorilla63 wrote:
Update after a few weeks of consideration. I couldn't go with a Rangie, although i was tempted - didnt like the Volvo, Audi or even a Ranger. I've decided to put in a new engine into the D4. Probably crazy, but it should see me for a few more years.

I don’t think you’re crazy at all Gorilla63!
If you’re putting a new JLR engine in your vehicle, then you effectively have a new Disco4, which I believe is the peak of Land Rover development, and absolutely a future classic.
Being a new JLR engine, who will fit it for you, a Main Dealer?

I hope it all goes well for you and your D4, and that you’ll soon be back on the road, happily burbling along.
 I’m a Disco 4 believer. What a vehicle!  
Post #237094612th Jun 2024 9:58 am
PROFSR G

Moo wrote:
Unless it's a genuine LR unit. Thumbs Up

Not if it's a JLR remanufactured unit with a Bosphorus crank. Whistle
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237096312th Jun 2024 1:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to: