Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Crank worry, Confusion, help please..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Upper Gornal

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Crank worry, Confusion, help please..

Hi to all you wonderful Discovery owners...My dilemma is, i have a beautiful 2014 SDV6, 79000 miles FSH.I am now getting very paranoid with this crank issue ??, is mine likely to have the chocolate crank or have i dodged the bullets, i have been looking at a 2016 Sport for my sins but unsure on what engine has what crank Embarassed , please shed some light on this one if you can or am i worrying about something that may never happen, TIA Thumbs Up

Post #234539717th Aug 2023 6:05 pm
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Upper Gornal, You me and many others with the same dilemma, I’ve just purchased an 11plate landmark, It’s my 4th Disco , 1 D2 and 2D3s but my first D4, Love the car as there’s nothing quite like em to compare, looks like the crank is an absolute lottery, I recently asked the same question in a post about the statistics and percentage of failures, Still no wiser really and car has other things going on to keep me and my wallet busy Big Cry, Might see you around as only Dudley based myself, Enjoy the ride Thumbs Up

Post #234543318th Aug 2023 8:05 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Crank worry, Confusion, help please..

Upper Gornal wrote:
Hi to all you wonderful Discovery owners...My dilemma is, i have a beautiful 2014 SDV6, 79000 miles FSH.I am now getting very paranoid with this crank issue ??, is mine likely to have the chocolate crank or have i dodged the bullets, i have been looking at a 2016 Sport for my sins but unsure on what engine has what crank Embarassed , please shed some light on this one if you can or am i worrying about something that may never happen, TIA Thumbs Up

The answer is 'who knows?' Its random with no set pattern some go high mileages some low. Service and oil changes make no difference. As for 2016 DS there are a whole range of issues there with the Ingenium engines.....

Get a warranty and just drive and enjoy it Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #234544018th Aug 2023 9:40 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

My first D4 had crank failure at 82k (weirdly on 82,000 exactly!) back in 2016, i'm now on my third D4 and have covered 10's of thousands of miles since the crank going on my first one, with total peace of mind, if it happens it happens, worrying about it won't change anything. If you're unable to enjoy the car without constantly worrying about the worst case scenario then probably best to move on to another vehicle.

I also have a 997 Porsche 911 which are renowned for bore scoring resulting in an expensive engine rebuild, done 50k miles in mine over 6 years and it's been sweet as a nut, all I read online about them is worry and paranoia from other owners about the 'what if'. It seems silly to me to let it cloud your ownership experience.

Post #234544318th Aug 2023 10:01 am
Upper Gornal

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Darryl, thanks for the reply, yes mate i have had my Disco now almost 5 years and never missed a beat. I tow my caravan all over the place and it's a pleasure to tow with, comfortable, not bad on fuel, but this crank problem keeps rolling around in my head. I have had several Landy's Disco's 300Tdi, TD5, RR sport , TDv6 but this one has been the best by far, Like you say it's a lottery with these but i will just keep enjoying the experience Wink see you about Thumbs Up

Post #234544518th Aug 2023 10:19 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

My local mechanic almost always has a failed low miles/newish engine to show when I pop in. Latest is an ingenium with 20K on the clock ... but it's usually non-JLR stuff: BMW, Skoda, VW, Mini , Vauxhall etc etc

Happens to all manufacturers but JLR have made the rebuilds harder.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #234544618th Aug 2023 10:21 am
kim0785b

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Keep on top of the oil change, 4000 - 8000 miles on an SDV6 3.0, V-power fuel helps the engine keep itself clean, also when I had my engine replaced was advised to let the engine work up to operating temperature before you start pushing the revs. Don’t floor it, it’s not a Ferrari!
 Discovery 4
Oct 2015, 2016 build
SDV6 Santorini Black SE
New engine at 42k
Car camper 

Post #234641229th Aug 2023 5:07 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

to be fair that's straight forward "Mechanical sympathy" no matter what engine it is, getting it up to temp before using hard and allowing time to treat it gently and cool down before turning off.

the thing is how many peeps use the coolant temp gauge to decide when an engine is warm Rolling Eyes
its not, coolant temp gauge might be at norm within 3 miles and 10 minutes but the engine and engine oil might not be up to temp until at least twice that or longer.

Oh and for the OP, buy a lottery ticket when ever you think about the crank, its an odds game either way enjoy it.

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #234643729th Aug 2023 8:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >