Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

D4 XS: Water Ingress
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
D4 XS: Water Ingress

So, after five or six weeks of ownership and beautiful weather to boot, the heavens opened last weekend and my first fault/warranty claim raised its ugly head. Mad

A drive back from Bristol to Stroud in the torrential rain was no problem, the auto wipers and lights worked as expected and did a very good job. On arriving home I parked up with the front end facing downhill on nothing more than a 15% incline. There the car was left for an hour or so (with it still pouring with rain) and, on my return, I noticed that Mother Nature was doing her best to wash the dashboard with drops of rain, which were coming in from near the rear view mirror and onto the passenger vent and screen. Big Cry

I don't have a sunroof or anything else fixed to the roof. So, has anyone else experienced this and, more to the point, with the dealer fixing the issue, is there anything I should be checking when I get the car back?

Thumbs Up

Now updated with pic:

Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #11392172nd Aug 2013 2:26 pm
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Did you get anywhere with this?

Post #115521610th Sep 2013 7:52 am
alfamale

Yep all done. They had it few days though. Blamed it on the windscreen company. Re-sealed and no problem since...but then we haven't had huge amounts of rain since.
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #115523910th Sep 2013 8:29 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #115524810th Sep 2013 8:55 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Had this with a Galaxy once, turned out that aftermarket widscreens had an issue with how the sealed the top where the electrical/earth contact was for the heated screen. Another new windscreen fitted and extra sealer added solved the issue. Could be that they did not put enough sealer in place or managed to wipe it as they put screen in.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #115524910th Sep 2013 9:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alfamale

I must check to see if the windscreen is OEM or aftermarket actually...didn't occur to me! Thumbs Up

Post #115525410th Sep 2013 9:16 am
alfamale

So the same thing has happened again, water coming in through the windscreen and onto the dashboard.

The original re-seal was done by Listers Droitwich in Aug 2013 and this weekend it's been in to Stratstone Cheltenham and they're telling me it's a £100 fix (at best) but it's likely the windscreen will crack when they remove it so more likely £500-£600. I asked if their insurance would cover them breaking the windscreen and they said no, and it's apparently unlikely that my auto insurance will cover it.

I get the impression Stratstone don't want to deal with it and would rather it went back to Listers. And Listers still haven't called me back to discuss.

Has anyone else heard of windscreens cracking when they're removed and, what are the chances of WD covering this under warranty if it all goes T.U.? What other options should I be looking at?

Thumbs Up

Post #145771913th Apr 2015 4:57 pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 

I would consider hitting the screen with a hammer and then claiming for a new screen off your car insurance max. 50- 80 pound excess . Then the new screen will have a warrenty by the windscreen company. Ps removing an existing screen will very often crack it .

Post #145772413th Apr 2015 5:06 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There's a lot of stones on the road where you live Simon...

The issue will have been a replacement window at some point that wasn't left long enough to cure or wasn't taped in place correctly whilst curing.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #145773713th Apr 2015 5:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

a gentle tap with a small hammer Whistle worked for me many years ago !!

autoglass replaced my windscreen a few months ago and removed it without breaking it. they used cheese wire rather than the proper window tool.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #145774613th Apr 2015 6:03 pm
alfamale

And so the saga continues. Still not repaired and, with all the rain we've been having lately, the water has now leaked via the rear view mirror on to the head unit and lcd, which made a low pop/click sound on Tuesday and hasn't worked since.

Given that the dealer in Droitwich didn't repair the fault properly in 2013 and that the dealer in Cheltenham couldn't mimic the fault and therefore repair in April, should I be the one that has to potentially fork out for a new head unit, discoloured headlining and sun visors, et al?

Land Rover CRC apparently refusing to comment until a full report is sorted by Cheltenham!!!

Post #14697887th May 2015 11:51 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

I had this after a windscreen replacement. Tried another screen, and refitting, both made no difference. Eventually discovered water entering between a weld above the windscreen fixing. Never explained why it started after replacing screen as it didn't look related. Must have put some tension on somehow. Anyway, once discovered, screen company plugged the weld with the same stuff they use to fix the screen - no more leaks. Sorry no pictures, didn't think, was just too relieved to get it fixed.
 d4 HSE  
Post #14698607th May 2015 2:30 pm
alfamale

The original invoice from the Droitwich dealer stated that, after carrying out leak tests, water was "coming in from around the top and corner of the windscreen".

Perhaps this is the same then?

Thumbs Up

Post #14698687th May 2015 3:00 pm
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Could be. First noticed mine running down A pillar and in through the plastic clip with airbag wriiten on. Soon found out how to remove A pillar and trim top on ceiling(from instructions on here) and could then see more easily that it was very near the corner - but it was an inch above (outside) the windscreen fixings. Once it was inside the trim, it looked like it was from the windscreen. You should be able to try it at home if you want, take the bits off inside and get someone to hold a hose.....good luck, hope you solve it Thumbs Up
 d4 HSE  
Post #14698827th May 2015 3:30 pm
alfamale

Many thanks, Stick Thumbs Up

Post #14698967th May 2015 3:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >