Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

David - D3 TDV6 HSE 2005, Future family Overlander / Camper.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
DJEwen

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Laughing Aye, there was a camper van pulling out the lay-by as I arrived.
 2005 Discovery 3 HSE Zambezi Silver 56,000mls  
Post #233301011th Apr 2023 3:37 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

DJEwen wrote:
I stopped for a quick photo on the top of the Cairn O Mount.

A great place to see the Northern Lights from when they happen....
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #233302611th Apr 2023 5:21 pm
DJEwen

Yes it is, no light pollution around here, you can just pop out into the garden for a swatch at the northern lights.

Post #233360517th Apr 2023 4:25 pm
DJEwen

As mentioned previously the passenger front and rear footwells were wet and I had ordered 4x new drain exit bungs/tubes which came on the slow boat from China.

They arrived on Saturday and on Sunday I set about the repair. Knowing my headliner was dry and going off what I have read on this forum I decided to go straight to removing the CJB. Naturally I managed to brake both glovebox pins in the process of removing it.

Sure enough once I got the CJB out there was the drain pipe just hovering in the air not connected to anything, the outlet piece still connected to the wing but perished. It appeared to me that the hose seemed a little short (not the first time I’ve heard that) Whistle

Anyway, I installed a new outlet bung and made up a little extension for the hose and connected them all up. Next I moved onto reinstalling the fuse box… that experience was hands down the most horrid task I have ever had the displeasure of executing in my entire history of car repairs. I think it took me about 2 hours to get it back in. Being an XL handed fella it may have made it more difficult, At first I was laying upside down with my feet on the headliner, and head under the glovebox with a head torch on thinking to myself “what are you doing”. I installed the green one that way but then just couldn’t get the orange one in to the point where I decided to remove the green one again which nearly drove me to tears.
I somehow managed to rotate the entire board 45° so the fuses were facing the centre console then very slowly and painfully I managed to get the two of them back in. To say I was glad was an understatement, then to start the car and find no errors was equally as pleasing.

Next I moved onto the back passenger one, after tackling the front however this was like stealing candy. The back one wasn’t at all perished but was of the old non return valve type so I changed it none the less.

As the CJB took up most of the time I didn’t get to the drivers side which no doubt will be a walk in the park after the above but I intend to do them later this week. I quickly done a drain test as they are flowing as expected on the passenger side. There is no drainage on the drivers side however so I’ll start with the exit pipes change out first and then see if the pipes need rodded.

Now. The passenger side carpet is absolutely soaked. The sound deadening really holds water. I’m fortunate enough to have a wet vac so I managed to remove all of the pooled water and dry the tops of the carpets but the foam is holding water still.

I don’t really want to have to remove all the interior to get the carpets out and I’m thinking I could maybe remove the passenger side front and rear seat, lift the carpet slightly and block it up, wet vac as much as I can from the foam then rent an industrial dehumidifier and air mover from my local HSS and leaving them in the car for a week just to be certain everything comes dry? Does anyone have any thoughts or success with a dehumidifier?

TIA

Dave

Last edited by DJEwen on 1st May 2023 4:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #233360817th Apr 2023 4:49 pm
DJEwen

Since we have been blessed with 4 days of glorious sunshine, after propping up the carpet and wet vacuuming as much water out of the foam sound deadening as I could I have left the car in the sun with the carpets propped up from sunrise to sunset with the windows and doors open, this seems to be drying out the remainder of the wet. I’m hopefull it’ll all be dry by the weekend, 2 days in and a huge improvement already (obviously removing the main water with the wet vac has assisted in this).
Post #233390819th Apr 2023 10:16 pm
DJEwen

I figured I'd update what's happened of recent, and that's not much, at least for this year anyway.

The car eventually made it to its health check appointment at MMP 4X4 where DiscoMikey and his team looked over it and then road tested it. Other than the unfortunate section of rust in the rear arch/sill, it was said it's the cleanest D3 they had seen. They seemed surprised to still see OEM stickers on most of the suspension and drivetrain components and original non rusty brake pipes. The technician took it for a road test and later said it's the quietest D3 he's driven. I'm confident I bought the right vehicle and will now proceed with the modifications.

Dave.
Post #23443514th Aug 2023 4:52 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Right then ..... get a move on !!!

Laughing

seriously, good you got a "clean bill of health" on the D3 Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #23443614th Aug 2023 6:45 pm
DJEwen

Haha, well you're not wrong! I'm on a waiting list for both my RTT & 270 degree awning, It may be time to consider other options.
Post #23445627th Aug 2023 2:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >