Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 brakes lock on while driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dhaynes

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Disco 3 brakes lock on while driving

Ey up, can anyone “shed some light” on a little problem I’ve got, I picked up a lovely Disco 3 from Brightwells auction on Friday but by the time I’d got to the M5 (25 miles) I pretty much had all 4 brakes locked up and ended up getting AA relay’d back home, the offside front seemed to be the main culprit so changed the calliper yesterday morning and went for a spin, 20 mins of driving later and I’m back at the side of the road with brakes locked up !, there is a recent bill with the car for a master cylinder and servo been replaced early this year !....... any ideas ???

Also had the following fault codes from AA man

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control - 5TL / Diesel CR/EDC SID 20x Status :U0416 - CAN communication with vehicle dynamics control unit. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P020D - Injection time, cylinder 4. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too high. Historical fault. Status :P020F - Injection time, cylinder 6. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too high. Error sporadic. Status :P020A - Injection time, cylinder 1. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too high. Historical fault. Status :P045D - Exhaust gas recirculation control B. Error Message : Malfunction. Historical fault. Status :P2299 - Brake pedal/accelerator pedal position. Error Message : Not all events stored. Error sporadic. Status :P045C - Exhaust gas recirculation control B. Error Message : Malfunction. Historical fault. Status :P062D - Output stage injectors bank 1. Error Message : Electrical interference. Historical fault. Status :P132B - Turbocharger boost pressure control A. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too low. Error sporadic. Status :P023D - Intake manifold pressure/ boost pressure sensor A. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too low. Error sporadic.We have arranged for a recovery of your vehicle.Engine Oil Level Ok. Coolant Level Ok.

Post #22292479th May 2021 6:18 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Its been known that the brake hoses colapse internally and act like a one way valve
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22292509th May 2021 6:46 pm
Dhaynes

Yes I've read that, and certainly the front offside has all new hoses and brake pipe

Post #22292539th May 2021 6:53 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Disco 3 brakes lock on while driving

Dhaynes wrote:
Ey up, can anyone “shed some light” on a little problem I’ve got, I picked up a lovely Disco 3 from Brightwells auction on Friday but by the time I’d got to the M5 (25 miles) I pretty much had all 4 brakes locked up and ended up getting AA relay’d back home, the offside front seemed to be the main culprit so changed the calliper yesterday morning and went for a spin, 20 mins of driving later and I’m back at the side of the road with brakes locked up !, there is a recent bill with the car for a master cylinder and servo been replaced early this year !....... any ideas ???

Also had the following fault codes from AA man

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control - 5TL / Diesel CR/EDC SID 20x Status :U0416 - CAN communication with vehicle dynamics control unit. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic. Status :P020D - Injection time, cylinder 4. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too high. Historical fault. Status :P020F - Injection time, cylinder 6. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too high. Error sporadic. Status :P020A - Injection time, cylinder 1. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too high. Historical fault. Status :P045D - Exhaust gas recirculation control B. Error Message : Malfunction. Historical fault. Status :P2299 - Brake pedal/accelerator pedal position. Error Message : Not all events stored. Error sporadic. Status :P045C - Exhaust gas recirculation control B. Error Message : Malfunction. Historical fault. Status :P062D - Output stage injectors bank 1. Error Message : Electrical interference. Historical fault. Status :P132B - Turbocharger boost pressure control A. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too low. Error sporadic. Status :P023D - Intake manifold pressure/ boost pressure sensor A. Error Message : Lower signal amplitude too low. Error sporadic.We have arranged for a recovery of your vehicle.Engine Oil Level Ok. Coolant Level Ok.

if its had a new servo master cylinder i would be checking that the rod from servo to master is not too tight causing the brakes to bind when the system warms up do the brakes free off when left to cool off
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #222940210th May 2021 5:04 pm
Dhaynes

Hi yes when they cool down it drives normal until they warm up again !!

Post #222940610th May 2021 5:39 pm
Dhaynes

I’ve just tried to undo the 2 nuts holding the master cylinder........ and Jesus !!!!!, if someone told me Eddie Hall had tightened them up....... then I’d agree, looks like I’m going to have to take the 2 brake pipes off just to get some purchase on the nuts !!

Post #222942110th May 2021 6:39 pm
Dhaynes

Evening all, quick update, have taken the master cylinder and servo off, and there’s a fair bit of black oil in the servo, poss engine oil assuming it’s come from the vacuum!!, any suggestions
Cheers
Dave

Post #222998513th May 2021 6:33 pm
aja4x4

There was a recall to replace the servo pipe to a different design to prevent it from happening but if the vacuum pump has started leaking internally the oil gets sucked into the servo when left over night
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #222999113th May 2021 6:53 pm
Dhaynes

I’ll have a look the vacuum pump tomorrow night cheers

Post #222999813th May 2021 7:41 pm
Dhaynes

I’ve read a fair few posts about having oil in the servo and how it causes brake fade, I’ve got oil in my servo and the bloody brakes are jamming on !, I’m now thinking it’s 2 separate issues, I’m going to try and get a vacuum pump and servo today

I picked up a genuine brake light switch so might as well bang it all on at the same time assuming the oil in the servo has nothing to do with my brakes coming in mid journey

Post #223004314th May 2021 6:37 am
aja4x4

I think the oil in the servo may be the cause of the brakes to sticking on.
The vacuum pump is not a nice job to do but its ore awkward than difficult
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #223004614th May 2021 6:47 am
Dhaynes

Yeah looks to not exactly the most accessible place in the engine bay

Post #223008814th May 2021 11:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1