DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Discovery 4 suspension fault C1A20-64
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hoppohopkins

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Discovery 4 suspension fault C1A20-64

Hi All,

Have had a fault recently come up on the dash 'only normal height available'. I have owned the 2010 disco for about 6 months and fault has just showed, it doesnt seem to drop obviously overnight and suspension appears okay when driving, previous owner had installed a new Aerosus compressor just before I purchased the vehicle and on inspection the compressor does look fairly new so seems to add up . So i am wondering if maybe as the fault is 'pressure increases too slow when filling reservoir' my thought was maybe a leaky reservoir which looks a little rusty but nothing horrendous, just interested before replacing the tank what other components could be at fault ? Cant hear any obvious leaking underneath and pump runs for about 10 seconds on startup and then cuts off assuming to do an algorythm but its getting power and does seem to put pressure in on startup as vehicle does lift slightly nothing too noticiple so maybe pointing at a small leak however would that prevent the pressure getting its specified level on startup ?

Cheers

Tom

Post #233328914th Apr 2023 11:44 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

I have the same thing on my 2015 135k mile d4. When my indy read the code,he recommended replacing the compressor and so booked in for week after next. However, reading yours, looks like there could be other causes...
 d4 HSE  
Post #233329114th Apr 2023 12:10 pm
Pollski

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Not sure what our system fault log number is but we are also getting the 'normal access height only' warning. Booked in next week for a smoke / leak test to find out where/what it might be. Luckily it isn't causing issues, aside from an annoying yellow triangle on the dash !
 My16 HSE Landmark - 2016 - Current. Indus Silver
My11 HSE - 2011- 2016. Stornoway Grey 

Post #233359917th Apr 2023 3:47 pm
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

2016 Graphite – AMK compressor

Crikey folks – this is me right now. Same intermittent message and code.
So far I’ve fitted another compressor that’s had the beads and seals changed. Kit supplied by 4x4 seals. How to change them here;

&t=35s

There are a number of Youtube videos on how to remove your AMK compressor. If you’ve got the time and tools do it yourself. There’s nothing to catch you out. Nothing needs coding and nothing can be put back together wrong.

Top tip – Youtube videos will tell you that the top bolt (shown A) of the compressor mounting bracket is hard to access, especially for refitting. They are right. I left mine where it was (just slackened it right off with a ring spanner) Removing the two lower one’s with their easy access is no problem.

Removing the three torx rubber compressor mounting fixings (one shown B) means the compressor just slides out real easy.

Back to the drawing board for me.....

Post #233363617th Apr 2023 7:34 pm
kevofcov

Lots of info in this thread

https://www.disco4.com/forum/topic746.html...;start=285

My current thinking is that the compressor is worn out. Looking into having it overhauled after reading this on a thread

The compressor has a thermal cutout at around 130C IIRC. The compressor also has a very low duty cycle, meaning that while it's very powerful, it can't run continuously. It gets hot very quickly and hits the thermal threshld in around 60-90 seconds of running. If the tank is not up to optimal pressure before then, on comes the light and the failure warning.

Post #233374618th Apr 2023 8:18 pm
stick

I had noticed that mine seemed more likely to do it when cold and therefore was wondering if it was battery related. However my Indy reckons that the compressor is less efficient with cold air and therefore exacerbates any problem that might be developing. New compressor on Monday...
 d4 HSE  
Post #233383619th Apr 2023 3:10 pm
kevofcov

Let us know how you get on Thumbs Up

Post #233387719th Apr 2023 7:39 pm
stick

update: they checked for leaks and didnt find any. Replaced the compressor Monday and so far has not shown any faults. Hope that is it...
 d4 HSE  
Post #233505530th Apr 2023 11:23 am
kevofcov

Quick update.

Car is a 2016 Diesel Graphite
Took the plunge and purchased a new compressor. Went down the blatant copy route (from China?) for £126 delivered. Bonkers price see here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155363226422

Madam has just driven off with the new compressor and I’ll report back in a few weeks to confirm no issues.

Couple of notes for fitting;
No need to remove the 3 bolts that attach the steel mounting bracket to the chassis as shown on youtube videos. Leave the bracket alone and just remove the 3 rubber suspension bolts – the compressor will slide out from the side.

The air inlet fitting shown A in the pic attached was a different thread on the new compressor so I was not able to just swop it to the new compressor and use fitting B. They have thought of this and have supplied a length of pipe and a connector – see the next photo

Pics should expand when clicked on.

When I removed the exhaust pipe from the old unit it was a struggle. The whole fitting snapped off. Looking at it, it does look like poor design so be careful.

Post #23444696th Aug 2023 1:16 pm
kevofcov

Update
three weeks of use and all is fine. Very Happy
three months all good Very Happy
9 months no probs

Post #234558320th Aug 2023 6:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >