DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Door Latch Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
ChrissyboyD3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Hi Gents
just joined the forum with a 55 petrol auto D3, had the car 5 years
Last week I got back to the station after work, and the drivers door failed to open. The other 3 doors plus tailgate were OK. It was pitch black, so couldn't do much more than clamber over passenger seat and centre console. At home tried the tips advertised on the forum to do with operating dash lock and internal door handle, but sadly nothing. Then out of the blue the internal door lock worked and door opened Shocked

I cleaned visible surfaces of the lock meachism and striker bar with WD40 and a clean rag, and everything was fine everyday for a week until yesterday, when it failed again. Absolutely no response from dash, remote or interior locks.
The drivers interior door locking button(the small black one not the silver one) remains in same position & doesnt have the the same "on -off" action that the other 3 doors have.

Wound down the drivers window, and tried to look down between the window and rubber trim to see if there is a bar or cable to pull on, but finding nearly impossible to spot anything, and now of course with the door shut, I think there is zero chance of getting the trim off. Starting to feel a bit of a plonker for thinking i had solved the problem with a spot of WD40 Sad

Any thoughts?
I begrudge taking to it the stealers

Post #9163791st Apr 2012 2:18 pm
Pilbara Disco

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have the same problem as Chrissyboyd3, the drivers door is locked and have tried all manner of jiggling the internal latch whilst pressing the lock/ unlock buttons on the console but unable to open. This is not the first time, had the door catch mechanism replaced under warranty about three years ago and the console button trick worked then but not now. Question

There is some fantastic info here on how to fix the problem once the door is open however I am unable to remove the door card with the latch Censored . Big Cry Does anyone know another alternative way of opening the door?

A number of people have asked the same question but never a reply? Can someone take pity an offer some advice? Bow down
 Phil

2006 Disco 3 HSE
2.7 TD 

Post #95278310th Jul 2012 1:42 am
Tellmewhatsnew

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Doors Not Locking

Sorry can't help with the issues immediately above as I do not have solutions. In fact I think I have a different problem with door locking than those described on this thread and I was hoping someone could help.

Over the last week when I have locked the D3 with remote button either the front passenger door or drivers door have not locked (everything else is) - stumbled on it by chance when I tried the door and the alarm went off. It started with the drivers door - but that seems to have fixed itself - and has gone onto the passenger door.

Has anyone go a solution for this

Thanks

Post #96580714th Aug 2012 5:06 pm
jfazzie_tdv6

2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Tellmewhatsnew, I had a similar issue where my osf and osr doors were randomly not locking for about 3 months. It got to the point though that it used to start tripping the alarm at random nights. Used to be ok during the day though for some reason.

The car just seemed to want to wake, me and the neighbours up. There were no specific alarms coming on the logs.
I bit the bullet and replaced the Drivers door lock with a new one, following the guide off here, and it seemed to sort the issues out. Locks every time now and the passenger one has decided to work every time now aswell. It's been a good 4 months now.

Post #9726082nd Sep 2012 9:02 pm
Tellmewhatsnew

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the advice, I was hoping there may a 'fix' that didnt involve me spending money - but thats the joys of owning a disco I suppose - something will always go wrong and itll always cost. Thanks again. Glad I havent had the alarm issue so I better get it done before that starts!

Post #9726963rd Sep 2012 8:31 am
robogiles

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

56 D3: Tailgate cable broken at the 90deg bend. Love this website for telling me the solution. Tailgate closed shut when broken. So I had to break in the carpet covered trim on the inside as described earlier. Find the cable and pull the inner with pliers. All worked ok. Used a pair of electrical connectors to cobble it together so not requiring the £27 new cable from LR. Smile

Post #101042628th Nov 2012 1:42 pm
SLD3CT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Hi all,

I have a problem with my bonnet... I know it's not the doors but I can't see a thread for the bonnet so I went with this one.

My bonnet is shut but in the dash it is saying bonnet open. Any ideas.

Thanks.

Post #103782318th Jan 2013 9:41 pm
Adolfsson

Sweden 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Great Tips !

Post #10853759th Apr 2013 6:12 am
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

SLD3CT wrote:
Hi all,

I have a problem with my bonnet... I know it's not the doors but I can't see a thread for the bonnet so I went with this one.

My bonnet is shut but in the dash it is saying bonnet open. Any ideas.

Thanks.

Does this help?

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic92624.html?highlight=Bonnet+catch
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #111589611th Jun 2013 8:59 pm
DiscoMJ

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Discovery 3 HSE 07

Mine is a similar problem to those listed in the board... though its my drivers door that has decided to keep itself unlocked. The alarm arms itself, all other doors lock, but the drivers door will still just pull open.

Any suggestions? Common issue?

MJ

Post #111680713th Jun 2013 6:29 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Common issue as you can see by the threads. There is a 'how to' fix guide on the forum that shows you how to replace the lock mechanism for about £40.

Supposed to be an easy job but I found it a bit of a fiddle, so the wife did some of it.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic33743.html?highlight=

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #111683713th Jun 2013 7:21 pm
DiscoMJ

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Thats ace thanks very much for the link. Duly sent to the other half who fixes the likes of this

Thanks

MJ

Post #111684313th Jun 2013 7:45 pm
terencehill

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 3
rear door sensor says it is open while door is closed-how to

hi.my back door sometimes goes crazy.it eorks mechanically well but sometimes it goes crazy and says the error message it is open.the worst when this happends at night when it is armed and the alarm goes on.any idea how to fix it easily or how to lock the car when nhe senses the door is open?thanks

Post #113699827th Jul 2013 5:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ole C

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

This is what I did when rear rigth door latch wouldnt open without help (pull the tab on the door while pushing the "open" button" on the dash).

I took out the latch using the guide in this thread. Then I opened the latch mechanism to figure out what was wrong.
Everything looked fine, but there was two plastic arms hitting each other, instead of one passing under the other.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The white plastic arm had become bent, causing it to hit the end of the black arm.

So I took a heat gun to the white plastic arm and managed to make it straight again.

Then I chamfered the edges on both plastic arms, so that if they should hit each other agein, they would slide away from each other rather than go nowhere.

Here is also a video of the lacth operation before I fixed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...sE4b_B_IrQ

The noise in the background is my 2,5 year old son entering and wondering what daddys doing in the garage when all the beautiful rain is pouring down outside :)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #11402375th Aug 2013 1:23 pm
terencehill

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks for the reply. I think I have an issue with the sensor and not mechanical.
Where can I find the door sensor? Keeps saying the door is open while it is closed...
anyone could send me a picture how to get to this sensor or micro swich?

Post #11413558th Aug 2013 8:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >