Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Double dipping?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ace_brodie

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Double dipping?

So for peace of mind i put in place a WD warranty and got a good deal after negotiating - got everything covered.

Now looking to put in place breakdown cover. Was looking at the AA and i see they also offer Breakdown Repair Cover for a few quid more.

Would it be a good idea to have both BRC and WD? are there any advantages? are there any disadvantages?

any advice would be great!

Andy
 2007 XS, Leather Auto - Stornoway Grey
Bright Pack
Privacy
Side Steps
'Narpy' Grille 

Post #110687821st May 2013 5:38 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Some insurances only pay out if there are no other policies in force. If they are both like that you'll be Censored !

Post #110689921st May 2013 6:17 pm
ace_brodie

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

That was kind of my thoughts too... Paranoid on breakdown, hassle and cost of repairs, thinking it might be good to double up on cover and could probably end up worse off.

Sticking to recovery only, so looking into rac, aa, green flag etc. Any suggestions welcome Smile

Andy
 2007 XS, Leather Auto - Stornoway Grey
Bright Pack
Privacy
Side Steps
'Narpy' Grille 

Post #110740022nd May 2013 10:36 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't be over confident about having everything covered by WD they are notorious for bucking out, double check the small print before signing. If you have got everything covered by them why duplicate. AA cover is good and reliable but claims are limited.
If the word indemnity is used in either policy it means you are insured with that policy providing you are not insured elsewhere, if both policies give indemnity insurance you will have a problem making a claim Shocked
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #110741022nd May 2013 10:56 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

M3DPO wrote:

If the word indemnity is used in either policy it means you are insured with that policy providing you are not insured elsewhere, if both policies give indemnity insurance you will have a problem making a claim

Can you explain that please Question

Post #110741922nd May 2013 11:26 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

BBDisco3 wrote:
M3DPO wrote:

If the word indemnity is used in either policy it means you are insured with that policy providing you are not insured elsewhere, if both policies give indemnity insurance you will have a problem making a claim

Can you explain that please Question

The majority of insurance policies are indemnity, it will be written in the T and C's. Imdemnity means you are covered under a policy providing you are not covered by another policy.
For example, a tile falls off a roof and damages your car, if the owner of the roof is insured against this, the claim will be against him or his insurers not yours, if he does not have insurance or the owner of the roof cannot be traced the claim is against your insurers. If both have indemnity insurance the insurance companies have to decide who is to blame, this can be a long drawn out process, although in the case of motoring claims they seem to have a code of honour in a knock for knock situation, but a mechanical breakdown who knows.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #110761523rd May 2013 2:12 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

I don't see why you will have problems in making a claim if you are for some reason insured twice. Each Insurer would pay their rateable proportion.

If I have travel insurance with £500 baggage cover and I lose £2000 worth of clothing then the extra £1500 would be covered under my home insurance (if I have such cover). I don't think I would have problems making a claim - that’s what the policies are for.

The example of the roof tile is not correct. The car owner has the right to take action against the house owner regardless of the terms of the motor policy. If the claim was made against the car policy then the Insurer would endeavour to recover the cost from the house owner (who may be insured for such risk) but there is no such "code of honour" and the "knock for knock" agreements ended many years ago.

ace_brodie can choose to obtain warranty cover twice if he wished but would obviously only be indemnified up to the amount of the loss providing it was covered and again each Insurer should pay their rateable share within the policy limits. If the actual breakdown circumstance was only covered in one of the contracts then obviously there would be no payment under the other. The cost of purchasing the 2 contracts may well exceed the potential benefits but the option is still available to him.

If I own two houses and take insurance on both, I will automatically (again subject to being included) have personal liability insurance covered twice. If I step in to the road and cause an accident, the fact I have two insurances covering the risk does not mean they are void nor that I should have difficulties.

Post #110763123rd May 2013 3:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >