Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

DPF >_ Restricted Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
agreiguk

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
DPF >_ Restricted Performance

So I've only covered 1000 miles in my new Disco 4 MY13 and yet in its short life it's switched on to Restricted Performance / limp home mode twice. The first time I had left it parked up for two weeks, on is second run it displayed RP however turning it off for a while cleared it. The garage said it was the DPF needing regenerated but all my miles are motorway.

Second time round it had sat for three days and on starting up I got RP. Once again the garage says dPf.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, starting to dread not driving it for a day or two....

Alan

Post #112019820th Jun 2013 7:02 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I haven't had any problems with my DPF and mine does mostly short journeys and very little miles on the motorway (supposedly the worse type of journeys for a dpf) also it tends not to be used every day. I think I would be pushing your dealership for a better answer as I wouldn't expect the DPF to become blocked after only a thousand miles Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #112019920th Jun 2013 7:09 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

What if any warning lights are coming up on the dashboard?

If it's a DPF full problem there should be a warning light illuminated, if there are no lights then it points to another problem. Most likely to be the DPF differential pressure sensor that is faulty. A faulty pressure sensor will give you reduced engine performance but no warning lights.

If it happens again give LR Assist a call and get them to check the fault codes on their computer and make sure they get the right fault. It's easy to pick up on it being a DPF fault when it's actually a pressure sensor fault.

I had something similar in another LR product and it took 3 visits by LR Assist to correctly identify the problem.

Post #112021120th Jun 2013 7:31 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I have a D4 and have only done 14k miles from new since December 2010 with no DPF problems. I used to do a mixed journey of 15 miles each way to work which was 10 miles M1 and 4 miles city roads. I guess the somewhat sprited M1 bit kept the DPF clear and I regularly heard the high temp tick down that others have reported.

Recently however, I read that some cars with a DPF have a small reservoir of "ad blu" or similar additive which needs to be topped up at regular service interval (think I saw this on honest John). Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members may know if this is the case for the Discovery. Could be you didn't get topped up as it were !
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #112023920th Jun 2013 7:57 pm
allyv

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

no add blu system fitted on d4, force regen should be done on motorway at 60 mph over an hour . with no backing off.

Post #112039720th Jun 2013 11:17 pm
kp

United Kingdom 

The JLR System is like the newer PSA units(they use the same tech and engines mostly Very Happy ) and after the issues with the citroen fluid years ago, Eolys IIRC or something, they moved to forcing it through by dumping extra fuel into the system and getting it red hot to clean itself out Smile

nice, but bad for economy really on that trip.
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #112068621st Jun 2013 2:25 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

The PSA, Ford & Volvo system is a fluid bag/tank that needs topping up once or twice in the life of a car and is fitted near the fuel tank to self dose when filling up, it's not a bad idea as forced regeneration sometimes can "run-away" but there is an additive available for the fuel as a single shot to help the regeneration, quite simply called DPF cleaner (we sell it)

Common causes of DPF Faliure/blockage/limp home mode...

Incorrect engine oil adding to soot buid up.
100% Bio Fuels.
City Cycle Driving - regeneration does not have a chance to complete.
Short trips - The DPF needs to be around 600c to regenerate.
Age - High mileage/wear and tear
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #112069221st Jun 2013 2:36 pm
dervdave

United Kingdom 

markate wrote:
Most likely to be the DPF differential pressure sensor that is faulty. A faulty pressure sensor will give you reduced engine performance but no warning lights.

If it happens again give LR Assist a call and get them to check the fault codes on their computer and make sure they get the right fault. It's easy to pick up on it being a DPF fault when it's actually a pressure sensor fault.

I had similar issues with a 2.7d Jaguar which the MD eventually found that a faulty pressure sensor was the culprit.

Post #112086121st Jun 2013 7:07 pm
agreiguk

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for everyone's help, the dealer has since changed the sensor and are confident this is the problem fixed.

I'm less convinced as since they changed the sensor there is a very distinct lag from low speed or stationary. As I pull away it sits and has a think before rocketing off as I've over compensated to try and pull into traffic. I'm trying to adapt my driving to compensate but this is starting to take the shine off the new car. Really upset a few drivers trying to join traffic!

Hs anyone experienced anything like this, it was running fine until the two instances of restricted performance.

Post #112146522nd Jun 2013 11:07 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

agreiguk wrote:
As I pull away it sits and has a think before rocketing off as I've over compensated to try and pull into traffic. I'm trying to adapt my driving to compensate but this is starting to take the shine off the new car. Really upset a few drivers trying to join traffic!

Hs anyone experienced anything like this, it was running fine until the two instances of restricted performance.

I think "hesitation" might have been mentioned before Whistle

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic91114.h...hesitation
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic94744.h...hesitation

Post #112147822nd Jun 2013 11:26 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If your chassis number falls within the range (probably on the second update LTB00545) get it booked in and updated, The dealer wont automatically do this update it is only done if you complain about the hesitation Thumbs Up

Quote:
LTB00451

Issued 30 APRIL 2013

Model Year 2012 Onwards

VIN Range CA596988 to CA625890

Poor Response when applying throttle from a low speed due to gear shift mapping (3-2 downshift)

Cause - software issues

Automatic Transmission - tune download SRO 44.90.10 Casual part LR023295

AND

Quote:
LTB00545

Issued 14 MAY 2013

Model Year 2012 - 2013

VIN Range CA596988 to DA677290

Customer may complain of a hesitation at a low rolling speed, for example when approaching a traffic island / roundabout

Cause - Software calibration, engine acceleration and downshifts 4-3-2

Automatic Transmission - tune download SRO 44.90.10 Casual part LR041171
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #112153723rd Jun 2013 9:06 am
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

They could have also done a hard reset, which wipes the adaptive shift memory of the slush box. I noticed the hesitation when new, but now not so much (and no, it's not me getting used to it, as I swap between two different vehicles), although I've hit the problem featured in LTB00545 twice now.

Post #112158923rd Jun 2013 10:32 am
Splitpin

There are lots of faults that can stop regen and give RP, to stop damage to the DPF.

or a fire Shocked

With tighter emission requirements additional liquid tanks will return to dose the after treatment systems, watch this space!

get shares in add blu!

Post #112164123rd Jun 2013 12:35 pm
agreiguk

Thanks for all the advice. Ive since checked the Vin and my car falls into the 545 update so Ive asked the dealer to investigate when the update can be done. Fingers crossed this is a fix, it was working fine until they started to monkey around with the sensor Surprised(

Cheers.

Alan

Post #112200724th Jun 2013 9:44 am
Hairy Dan

Your dealer should be able to do it while you wait, mine only took 30 minutes Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #112201024th Jun 2013 9:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >