Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

EGR Valve and Engine Caution Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Ian 2206

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
EGR Valve and Engine Caution Warning

Help and advice please. SWMBO jumped in the car today and the yellow engine caption caution light (next to the park brake) remained illuminated. She called the local Dealer who advised she called LR assist who have duly attended this afternoon. The LRA engineer has cleared the caution however his laptop advised that Sensor A still has a fault and that if the caption illuminates again it's time for a shop visit at a dealer. Crying or Very sad The caution is linked with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. Can anyone comment on previous experience of this fault and also the operation of the EGR and what it does. Thanks.
 D3 HSE, Stornoway grey, 2007 MY, side steps, privacy glass, door protection strips.  
Post #24915422nd Jan 2008 5:45 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had exactly the same fault showing when mine was in for a service, but had had no prior messages or warnings, Dealer replaced r/h egr valve(which I presume has sensor 'A' on it).Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valves, do just that, take off smallish amounts of exhaust gases and re introduce them into the inlet manifold to be re burnt, usually not all the time, just under certain conditions, to decrease emissions really,(and supposedly lower combustion and turbo temperatures). They can cause problems when they clog up with sooty / gummy deposits etc though.

Post #24916922nd Jan 2008 6:06 pm
Ian 2206

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for that DND3. The caution light reappeared after about 3 miles driving so it's being booked in!
 D3 HSE, Stornoway grey, 2007 MY, side steps, privacy glass, door protection strips.  
Post #24919722nd Jan 2008 6:36 pm
cibja

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi from Spain

I have posted some thing similar in the post of the Glowplugs

Last Sunday 20/01/08, the yellow light in the panel indicatin some problem related with motor/ exhaust system was on.

Since Monday I have my car on the dealer and they have told me they must replace the EGR valves ( under warranty of course)

I have read somo other post from people who had also to be replaced EGR valves.

I hope today or tomorrow to have my car back ( I miss him so much Sad Laughing Laughing )
 Thanks all

cibja 

Post #24949123rd Jan 2008 8:36 am
D'arkuk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

My D3 was in for this over Christmas, I had both valves go on mine, as soon as the waning light came on I called the Stealer (Guy Salmon – Stockport) and was advised to take it in, they diagnosed the problem and organised a courtesy D3. I have to say that the Stealer was fantastic, however because of supply problems they had my car for 3 to 4 weeks, leading me to wonder how many people are having this problem. Also I believe that the valves are connected in some way to the cooling system and that running the car on damaged or broken valves can damage the cooling system which could be catastrophic for the engine. Could one of our more knowledgeable members confirm or deny this?
 Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #24951523rd Jan 2008 10:20 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine was off the road for all of December and first 10 days or so of Jan for EGR valves - no stock. Can safely say that when they stick properly you have Nooooo power at all. Mine was trailered away and I had a LRA RR Vogue for the full 6 weeks . . . . 8)
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #24981823rd Jan 2008 7:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cibja

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi

To complete my last post and in relation with what 90BHP says.

My delaer have told me yesterday that perhaps until end February they do not have EGR valves. There is no stock even in central spare parts warehouse in England.

Know I am waiting to see waht solution gives me my delaer ( in terms of a substitution car or so)

I do not understand how a company like Land Rover cannot have enough stock of this kind of materials, moreover when the failure seems to be relatively usuall.

Best regards
 Thanks all

cibja 

Post #25008924th Jan 2008 8:00 am
DISCONUTCASE

United Kingdom 

Hi chaps,
I have come across this on many occasions, I use the Autologic diagnostic kit and this enables me to look at both egr valves 'A' and 'B'. The live data allows you to watch the command position, the position the engine control module is asking the solenoid to move to, and the actual position, the actual feedback position of the valve. By looking at this live data you can see if the solenoid is failing. Although in most cases a fault is logged.
I have made up a blanking plate before to prevent boost pressure leakage, so if the valves are on back order this might be the answer to get you back on the road short term.

Post #25108625th Jan 2008 10:00 pm
D'arkuk

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm not mechanically minded in any way (can you tell,Laughing) but I would like to know the answer to this:
D'arkuk wrote:
I believe that the valves are connected in some way to the cooling system and that running the car on damaged or broken valves can damage the cooling system which could be catastrophic for the engine. Could one of our more knowledgeable members confirm or deny this?
Any comments? Brute force and ignorance, the D3 does the rest.  
Post #25129226th Jan 2008 1:17 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have never seen any tie in with the cooling system (liquid that is) . But believe that running with EGR valves inoperative or malfunctioning may expose the engine (and turbo) to slightly higher combustion (ie, gas) temperatures than normal. Can't comment on whether it would cause damage or not, I'm afraid.........PS if you google 'EGR valve ' you may find something that explains it better.

Post #25129626th Jan 2008 1:26 pm
DISCONUTCASE

United Kingdom 

Yes it is connected to the cooling system, sort of. Rolling Eyes
If you look down at the exhaust manifold you will see the solenoid and valve combined known as the EGR modulator. this is distinguishable by the attached stainless steel gas pipe. The modulator is attached to the EGR cooler, the cylindricle component with the 2 coolant hoses. The idea is the gas passes through the cooler on its way to the throttle body to be recycled in the hope the light up time of the CAT is reduced, and therefore in diesels a reduction in NoX emmissions. The engine coolant is flowing through the cooler so failure of the modulator or blanking of the valve does not effect the coolant temperature at all. Infact the newer modules, are fitted with a thermostaticly controlled cooler.
The EGR valves are never open during heavy load, i.e accelleration, the valve only opens on overrun or when steady rpm is maintained. This to prevent a loss of boost pressure.
Blanking plates are quite commonly fitted to the EGR's on many vehicles especially diesels due to the fact the carbon deposit's being recycled clog the valve not allowing the valve to close properly. This causes a drop in boost pressure noticed by the driver as a lack of power.

Post #25147027th Jan 2008 12:26 am
wolster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Any TD5 owner who wants to improve their performance fits an EGR blanking plate on day 1.

Its there to shave a few %ages off the emmisions readings by putting the nasty air back into the system a second time around.

Best description I've heard is "Its like breathing your own farts." Laughing

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of blanking them off on our TDV6's. Is ther a reason for this?
 What if the "Hokey Cokey" really is what it's all about?

'54 TDV6 Auto SE, Silver, Leather, HSE Wheels, Alpine Roof, Light Guards, Black Side Tubes, Tints.
Y 110 County Commercial, White, just bought it... watch this space for added bits! 

Post #25153227th Jan 2008 10:26 am
DISCONUTCASE

United Kingdom 

I guess no blanking plates are readily available like the TD5 or TDi.

we still have to make our own plates at the moment for the TDv6 and TDv8.

Post #25158427th Jan 2008 12:55 pm
wolster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Have you made and fitted some then, NutCase?
 What if the "Hokey Cokey" really is what it's all about?

'54 TDV6 Auto SE, Silver, Leather, HSE Wheels, Alpine Roof, Light Guards, Black Side Tubes, Tints.
Y 110 County Commercial, White, just bought it... watch this space for added bits! 

Post #25158627th Jan 2008 1:13 pm
Bonzo

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have recently posted on this elsewhere in here, largely due to drastic loss of power at low revs, then a sudden rush at 2250 - 2500 when the turbo suddenly wakes up fully. Into the stealer last week to confirm the suspicion of EGR valves. Same problem with supply though - currently on back order, with no indication on when they will arrive. Needless to say, this arose with 2 months of my warranty evaporating, so I am facing a bill of £380. Sad If you see a 54 plate black D3 slowly chugging out of a side street, give it plenty room, then give it a friendly toot - it'll probably be me Thumbs Up

Post #2548984th Feb 2008 4:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >