DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

EPB Emergency release
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
EPB Emergency release

Hi all

Can I ask where the emergency release is on a D4, mine did the dreaded squeal this morning and is now stuck on

thanks
 Mark  
Post #222725928th Apr 2021 1:22 pm
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Mine was under the cup holders.

Pull the holders up and out, remove 2 screws holding a plastic splash plate down, and it should be to see.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #222726028th Apr 2021 1:32 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

agree ... saw mine there when I had the centre console apart.

from plenty of posts on here, you have to pull it like you want to break it.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #222728028th Apr 2021 4:31 pm
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

thanks all Thumbs Up
 Mark  
Post #222729028th Apr 2021 5:33 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You definitely need to pull it hard! Probably harder than you can do with your hands alone without causing a mishap with your fingers through the loop. Thread a spanner or something through to use as a handle.

Post #222733128th Apr 2021 8:05 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

pull hard very hard with a big stick or tube if needed

Post #222735428th Apr 2021 11:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nobbygezza

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Epb

Mine has just done the same, loud screech and warning light on dash. I have removed cup holder and can see cable, I was expecting it to be stiff but you can pull it with no resistance for about 3” I have tried pulling it more but nothing it’s solid, there is a red plastic clip with strap attached just sitting there, also I have a black lever with a picture of foot brake on which is locked shut by a coin type key lock. I have unlocked this a pulled that lever to but still nothing. Please see attached pictures, if anyone can shed some light on where the red clip go’s and how to release handbrake would be great thanks.

Post #223044516th May 2021 3:55 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

This loud 'screeching' noise.... just happened to me and parking brake error. What is the cause and fix?

Hopefully manage to get the emergency release sorted, but is that just a one time hit - ie, if I release it, will brakes try and close up again and result in me being back to square one if I drive it?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #23581168th Jan 2024 1:32 pm
Landylad

Re: Epb

Nobbygezza wrote:
Mine has just done the same, loud screech and warning light on dash. I have removed cup holder and can see cable, I was expecting it to be stiff but you can pull it with no resistance for about 3” I have tried pulling it more but nothing it’s solid, there is a red plastic clip with strap attached just sitting there, also I have a black lever with a picture of foot brake on which is locked shut by a coin type key lock. I have unlocked this a pulled that lever to but still nothing. Please see attached pictures, if anyone can shed some light on where the red clip go’s and how to release handbrake would be great thanks.

OK, struggling a wee bit.... I can't see the cable for the emergency release (as picture above with the white plastic shrowd) - could it have been pulled out by a previous (similar) issue? HELP!!!
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #23581228th Jan 2024 2:36 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The wire with the loop on the end is the handbrake release. As others said it needs to be pulled really hard to release.
The red lever is the gearbox release usually used to recover the vehicle if it develops a gearbox fault.

Post #23581328th Jan 2024 3:45 pm
Landylad

Yeah, that bit I understand. It's the white loopy wire that's not there. I can just about make out a white plastic grommet at the very bottom of the plastic section - I think that may be it and the actuator has pulled the damn thing almost right back into the subsection of the vehicle.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #23581348th Jan 2024 4:10 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The cable is not white, you're looking for a cable similar to the thin (inner) brake cable you find on a push bike.

Post #23581388th Jan 2024 4:52 pm
Landylad

Thanks guys - I'm not Landrover qualified, but I know what a cable looks like Wink

So as it transpired, the cable (with white shroud) had been pulled down underneath where it's typical housed. A bit of persuasion with a spring puller and pair of mole grips and it came back.

Unfortunately, even applying a fair old degree of brute force to release, it's not having the desired effect on the drum. I know you guys said it needs LOTS of force, but not entirely sure how much is within practical terms before it would break something.

So all in all, I have a car sat with a seized on left rear drum (EPB) and no ability to move it.

I'm thinking two options here that I saw on YouTube - take the hub off and dismantle shoes - but I don't think this would work as I can't get enough slack in the cable.
Or chop the cable with a grinder/wire cutters before it comes into the break housing?

Either way, I need to get it released so I can drive it to a local garage to get them to look at it.

Actuator or cable problem itself? The actuator still squealing - I removed fuse to stop it trying to pull cable any more.

Arrrrrgh!
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #23581448th Jan 2024 5:10 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi, I had exactly same a few months ago, pulled the release cable so hard the crimp failed (where the cable is crimped back on itself to form that loop accessed from behind the gear lever).
Car was not accessible by recovery, so I had to take an angle grinder to one of the cables just forward of rear wheels. Huge BANG when the cable parted.
Be SLIGHTLY careful, due to BIG tension in that cable (not the emergency release cable, I mean the cable from servo to drum), when I finally cut through it, the car settled a little, so you don't want to be too close and be trapped. Also of course, ensure transmission is in "P", or "1" if it's a manual.
Wish you luck Smile))

Post #23581478th Jan 2024 5:41 pm
Landylad

Cheers KPTV8. I spoke with a local mechanic I use. He reckons it could be the shoe lining has slipped, binding up the drum. I don't think me pulling the emergency release any more than I am, is going to prize it loose.
Think the first thing I need to do is try and get the drum off and release the shoes. He said the adjuster could have got ceased up with the frosty conditions. Last resort is cut the cable.

Just need to get it mobile first and foremost.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #23581528th Jan 2024 5:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >