Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 27 of 36 <123 ... 262728 ... 343536>
steel_nick

Bulgaria 

Ok, I went through the adjusting the brake pads and bedding procedure afterwards. Everythibg seems ok for now. Couple of points to have in mind.
1. On the video in tube I watched, the guys were tightening the notchy adjuster were tightening it the other way. So if You have come to a point that there is no way to tughten it up, but the wheel still rotates, try the opposite direction.
2. While trying to enter the bedding procedure (same happened to the guys on the video) it didn't happen the first time, but the 3rd or 4th. Just follow the entry steps.

Hope this helps. Cheerz!
 If U are not on the edge, U are takin too much space.  
Post #216846318th Aug 2020 12:23 pm
Dave InOz

Australia 

IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE GEARS
I had to replace the gears inside the box as it had striped some of the teeth off. After watching and reading lots of ways of doing this, they all do it by removing the EPB box with cables attached, which is a very difficult and frustrating thing to do.

THERE IS NO NEED TO PULL THE EPB BOX OUT OF THE CAR.

You take the cover off, unscrew the left hand cable out and pull it out of the box. Unplug the electrics to the gearbox. Unscrew the gearbox and slide it out over the right hand side cable and remove it from the car to replace gears. EASY save yourself hours and hours of frustration.

Post #218095019th Oct 2020 12:57 am
Jimmy_P

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

hey all, ive read all 27 pages, and on page 24 Disco swede dscussed the square nut.. i have my module open, and cover off... managed that easy enough on the garage floor...
my module need unjamming, but as the square nut is inside and not outside the module i cant seen to achieve this. ive been told the square nut needs to be pulled out so i can unjam the thing. As i pull the LH cable to try and achieve the square nut moving out.. it seems impossible. Is there somthing i have to disconnect in order to get the square nut out.current state of the module is, manually unlatched, and jamed. i did adjust the shoes, but that been done in this condition, if i release all the adjustment from the LH wheel do you all think that will allow me to pull the cable out of the module..
thanks

Post #218115320th Oct 2020 12:55 am
Jimmy_P

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

After going to work and thinking about it.. im all sorted now, literally took 5mins to fix the jam.. thanks guys really appreciate all the info.

Post #218115520th Oct 2020 1:50 am
Hamez

United Kingdom 

I've been having handbrake issues for a while now. I've pulled the manual release a couple of times. The handbrake still works, unusually so I'm told.

Currently it applies as normal with a clonking noise at the end. It sounds like something is slipping on release. Any ideas what it would take to fix and approximately how long?

I can't be off the road too long, this is my only vehicle but the cost of having a new unit fitted is quite high.

Alternatively are there any reputable suppliers of recon units out there?

Any info would be more than welcome.

Post #218768317th Nov 2020 8:07 pm
wedgev8

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

@disco_mikey
The Link on the first Page "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcV6vCnib9o" is mit working.
Can you help me with another link to the Sound File?
My car sounds like this here
Is it the same?

Post #219525021st Dec 2020 10:02 am
samg7512

Yes 100% the actuator, try to adjust your brakes correctly following bodsys brake bible before doing anything, poor adjustment can cause this, also leave your handbrake OFF don’t do what I did and had to cut my cables or your ballache turns into a BALLACHE!

Post #219549022nd Dec 2020 10:44 am
wedgev8

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

...problem is solved. Yesterday I was under the car and have opened the actuator box.
the both brake cables where not latched together and the winder was jammed. So I took a hammer and a chissel and hammered several times on the brass winder. After this I could use the unjam and relatch function of my diagnostic tool. (LR II)
Now it is working fine and I readjusted also the park brake shoes.

Post #219549522nd Dec 2020 11:01 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

PAGODA  
Post #220150812th Jan 2021 8:44 pm
Jamietb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
EPB Help

Hi All,

I’m trying to fix my dad’s D3 for him but don’t really know much about them. The EPB has been working fine and then the other day it just made this loud grinding noise when trying to apply the brake and it popped up saying Parking Brake Fault on the dash.

I’ve had the rear disks off and given things a clean and then followed Bodsy’s Brake Bible to make sure they’re adjusted correctly but the issue remains.

Today I got it up on a lift and popped the cover off the EPB module to have a look and was expecting it to be fully extended / jammed but it looks to be about halfway out. I was a little confused though as the photos in the guide for this show a threaded rod to the right of the brass one and I don’t have this?

I’ve attached a photo to see if this is normal and also a video so you can see what happens / hear the noise. Not sure if it’s just a case of removing the gearbox on this and replacing the internals or if I should be doing something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Very Happy

Video: https://youtu.be/a9sNYiyC9NI

Edit: It looks as if the threaded rod may be stuck inside the brass one?

Thanks,
Jamie.

Post #22083576th Feb 2021 1:32 pm
Darcy390

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

&ab_channel=EmmanouilTatouris

Post #222141731st Mar 2021 8:04 am
aaronb1013

United States 

Similar to the last post, I heard a noise that sounded identical to this:

I went in and discovered that the brake has not been released (see photo). The brake appears to be in the engaged position. The epb light is flashing on the dash and when I release the brake (via the switch, not the emergency release cable) nothing happens. I wonder if the tension sensor is broken, but the electrical cable appears attached. Do I need to reset via ODBII? Anybody else in this situation? It seems as though when I pull the brake switch to set the brake it doesn’t know it is already engaged. Thanks in advance!

Post #22228756th Apr 2021 11:16 pm
aaronb1013

United States 

Forgot to included the photos in my last post. Please help me Disco_Mikey!

Post #22228826th Apr 2021 11:39 pm
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Any tips on getting the rusty screws out?

Got 4 out so far, but what a pain!

Does anyone have a part number for replacement screws as I don't want to put them back in.

Edit: and for a lid, just incase anyone does damage one.

Half way to getting the cover off though, whoo hoo! Very Happy

Last edited by jamez79 on 10th Apr 2021 11:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22235439th Apr 2021 4:57 pm
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Got the screws out using a flat headed screwdriver socket to fit in the rusted torx head.

To get the cover off, I went in via the o/a wheel arch and used a trim removal tool as it's bent, and levered the top corner away using the bend in the tool against the mounting point on the top of the epb module.

Once it was away slightly, I pushed a flat bladed screwdriver in the gap and then breathed out. Laughing then I just worked another screw driver in (a thin one) and kept prizing away along the top and side until the sealant gave in.

Once it starts to give in, you can get underneath and prize the bottom edge away, working along until it fails and comes away in your hand.

My brass piece was up against the square metal but a tap on the lower edge, aiming the force downward as beescribed by disco miley, and it started to turn.

I could just flick it down with a flat bladed screwdriver then to unwind.

Off to get the iid tool to unwind the rest of the way.... then to find the cause. Thumbs Up

Post #222366210th Apr 2021 11:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 27 of 36 <123 ... 262728 ... 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >