Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Everything for over-landing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
greg00

Switzerland 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I'll add another category: communications.
(edit: leeds already mentioned that Wink )
Are you using your mobile phones all the time?
We often use Two-way-radios. Sometime when one of us has to scout the path/trail by foot or just in shopping malls to avoid high roaming cost when you're outside the EU Wink

Navigation: I will get a lot of hate when saying this (even from SWAMBO) but I got rid of all paper maps.
I have detailed offline maps of where I'm going in different apps: 1) Open Street Maps in Gaia (iOS), 2.) Tomtom (device and app), 3.) offline Google Maps 4) Other local map apps like Swiss Topo. And this setup is on all our Phones, Tablets and Laptop. The chance of breaking them or running out of power at the same time is very slim.
On the road we use 2 devices at the same time: one for our destination (tomtom or OSM) to get a rough idea which way to go and one for spontanious local exploration (OSM or google maps). you can get a 1 month unlimited data sim card at a reasonable price in most countries to download information before entering no signal zone, which are getting harder to find nowadays.

Tires: it's a religion Wink I recommend AT tires and belive in BFG KO2 Bow down ... including full size spare
 _,,,_______///________
/// LR3 SE V8 Java Black 

Post #22945536th Jun 2022 2:40 pm
Register

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Greg - thanks again.

I'm reasonable adept at the eating drink bit but to quote you, this is a reasonable summary - stay on trails for a few days and then hop back into civilisation, campsite or hotel, to refill provisions

Maybe more adventurous if that works out.

Sarah loves a paper map to see what's coming, but I'm happy with digital maps and recently found ioverlander and park4night which look useful. Noted on roaming charges.

We've got a trip to Dartmoor planned to try things out, but feels a bit lightweight. We'll see I guess.

I removed the roof bars from the Tent Box thinking it would be more height/weight but I'll try the paddle board out.

I'm lost on fridges so will probably go with chinesesium at around £250, keep my fingers crossed and try to figure the charging.

I've picked up some 17" wheels for AT tyres. KO's are not cheap.

Currently rebuilding a spare compressor.

Thanks again.

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22946197th Jun 2022 7:28 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
I'm lost on fridges so will probably go with chinesesium at around £250, keep my fingers crossed and try to figure the charging.

As far as i see, NOBODY advices a chineese cheapy here Rolling Eyes
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22946387th Jun 2022 9:51 am
greg00

Switzerland 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

+1 Motolab

Your aux battery, power management and solar panel won't do any good if you don't choose your fridge carefully - it's the main reason you install all these add-ons. If you go cheap at least choose a fridge with a compressor. They should use around 40-50 Watt.
The only other option is using gas which is very common in RVs. Maybe I'm paranoid but I wouldn't be at ease with a gas fridge on rough trails.
 _,,,_______///________
/// LR3 SE V8 Java Black 

Post #22946987th Jun 2022 5:58 pm
jo

Netherlands 
0verland

Just been reading your thread about Morocco.

Although I've only had my D3 a few months I've been travelling through Morocco since 1997 in all manner of vehicles.
In my opinion you really don't need to over pack you car with all different kind of survival equipment with a winch on the front and back and satellite phones etc etc, because believe it or not your never alone in Morocco ..... even if your on some remote piste there will always be someone around before to long.

Some people seem to be under the illusion that Morocco is an uncivilised land where things aren't available and you'll die very quickly if your car breaks down. That's so far from the truth.

If it was me and this is what I'm doing to my D3 at this moment is a split charge to run a second battery. Whichever system you choose a second battery is a must, there are plus and minus points to every system. A bit like do I buy a canon or a Nikon. Second battery to run the fridge .... is a fridge is a must ? someone already mentioned don't skimp on your fridge. A good compressor fridge is what you really should be looking at. Then again you can go without a fridge but with a downside of warm beer, liquid butter and milk that looks like cottage cheese everyday. A very cold beer tastes great at the end of the day ..... trust me.
Cooking has to be on gas and is available everywhere. I've been using a double burner gas stove with a bottle and regulator and a couple of metres gas hose. DO NOT make your cooker fixed in the car you'll get so Censored off with being stuck to the back of your car cooking your food day in day out.
Two nice chairs and table with another table to put your cooker on ..... these are not luxury items but sitting on the floor or boxes isn't fun after a few days.
Camera .... take thousands of pics even if it's just on your phone if there crap you can always delete them, you will regret it if you don't.
Cash .... there are cash machines just about everywhere. Take perhaps a few hundred pounds out each time because you will get bank charges , if you take 20 quid out every day then those charges mount up. Don't forget fuel isn't that cheap unless your at the bottom end of Morocco. Fuel is cash only unless your in a city then you could pay on a card but I'd ask first if a card is possible even so I'd make sure you have cash for fuel.
Water don't bother with filtering systems or a purifier you can buy bottled water everywhere buy it in 5 litre plastic containers and drink plenty everyday.
A spare tyre definitely, with a plug kit and a compressor or foot pump even. Don't go with massive mud tyres its just not needed, a set of "All Terrains" is all that you need and they WILL be knackered when you get back unless you only driving on tarmac all the time. BFG or AT3 will be fine.
Fan belt , air and fuel filter and some basic spare parts and a small tool kit. Every village has a garage or they will get you to one.
This is my first landrover that's full of black boxes, I will be taking a code reader, to delete faults and reset things more than anything else.
If your going to drive off the tarmac and you really should because there are some beautiful places you can go then I'd get a raised air intake not for wading but for the dust and yes your car will be full of dust, very full of dust .... it gets everywhere and you won't be able to stop it.
A canopy, yes I would or you'll be forever searching for a shadow. Doesn't need to be a posh one a tarp and two poles lashed to the side of your car is also good.
A tent ... a rooftop tent is very nice, there's plus and minus point to all types of roof tents. Ive also used just a small two man tent and put it on the ground at the side of my car. Don't forget in the mountains its below zero every night so very good sleeping bags are a must.
Flip side to a tent is just get a cheap room every night , there are rooms everywhere unless your deep in the desert but anywhere there's people then someone will put you up. Trust me Ive slept in some really strange places in Morocco.

Two things you have to do in Morocco is to look at the sky every night, its one of the most amazing things you will ever see .... best looked at when there is no moon or a very small moon.

The second thing is enjoy yourself, go with an open mind and have fun .... and barter all the time. The price your given is about 60% higher than what it should be ..... I always work on that principle. So if they say 100 dirham what they actually mean is 30, anywhere around that price is ok. You'll soon suss it out.

If you have ay questions drop me a pm.

Post #229784529th Jun 2022 10:17 pm
qcnr

Norway 

1. All the gear, but no idea. Keep it simple.
2. I have been to far flung places in 30 years of travelling and still don't have a RTT.
3. Fridge, quality compressor fridge, anything else waste of money.
4. Light is right. Don't forget your vehicle has a max weight.
5. Don't burn the CC on gear for a trip, burn it on the trip.
6. Keep it simple.
7. Drawers are adding weight with no kit and using space. Lots of other alternatives to packing.
8. Keep it simple.
9. Keep it simple.
10. Plan the trip, not the gear, and make sure your vehicle is up to date maintenance wise before leaving.

Post #229785630th Jun 2022 5:32 am
Ivan

United Kingdom 

Fridge wise I always recommend an Engel. We have had ours since 1997 and it's been across the Simpson Desert, all over Australia including the top end as well as Morocco, Libya and all over Europe and never let us down. Power consumption is also very good.
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #229785730th Jun 2022 6:02 am
will.i.am

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 3

in terms of a shower - we are just planning a 4 week trip around EU and have just brought a roadshower from Offgrid Gear - its not heated with gas or 12v but relys on the sun to heat it up. again it only carries 31.7l so its not a full monty go all day setup but having tried it already with a day that probably only had about 2 or 3 hours proper sun (yesterday) it did get nice and warm - plenty warm enough to have a wash from and/or clean stuff down with.

Post #229786030th Jun 2022 6:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Register

Greg, Jo, Qcnr, Will.i.am

thanks all for the advice and apols for late response.

Greg - yes to fridge but certainly not on gas!

Jo - some terrific advice thanks. KISS appreciated. I've worked in Libya and visited Morocco and agree on the positives. Managed to gather 5 No. 17" rims for £75, just need tyres, and now compressor. Noted on spares and I have rebuilt a spare air-ride compressor. Code reader I have.

You mention staying in strange places. Mine was half a shipping container with no window in Baghdad Laughing

qcnr - Noted on KISS and weight. The drawers were a steal on eBay and now fitted, but I saved 40Kg removing the third row of seats.

Ivan - you may get the last laugh, but I'm going chinesium in the hope the gods smile on me.

Will.i.am - I got this from Decathlon
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/pressure-sol...R-p-334665

Amongst other things, I'm now down for the following

- compressor fridge in the £300 range - fingers crossed

- VSR for second battery, no solar (at this stage)

- double burner gas stove - free standing noted. That's saved another build project.

- compressor. What's good?

- canopy

- chairs and tables

- shower

- also taking 2 bikes

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #229789630th Jun 2022 9:51 am
will.i.am

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Keswick GreenDiscovery 3

compressor - i dont know if you run makita tools but i have a lxt 18v compressor and 3 led flod lights that all work off makita batteries and they are excellent - last for ages and handy they run off the same battery.

that decathalon shower looks a good bit of kit - especially for the money. only comment is that you can't expect it to heat up other than when it is filled and sitting somewhere in the sun when you are parked. i dont expect you could secure it sensibly on a roof rack when you are driving so it might not be as warm as a fixed one or a gas powered one etc

Post #229789730th Jun 2022 9:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jo

Netherlands 
Strange places

Sleeping in strange places …. What about a jail in Mauritania .

Post #22990397th Jul 2022 7:55 pm
Register

Ditto that, but in Istanbul having been relieved of belt and shoe laces. Hopefully never again!
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22990888th Jul 2022 9:18 am
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Pete. If your looking at double burner stoves, have a look at the Coleman dual fuel one. Great piece of kit and runs on petrol, which you can get anywhere. Regards Lee

Post #22991318th Jul 2022 4:23 pm
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 
Re: Everything for over-landing?

Register wrote:
Hi, I'm planning 10 weeks to Croatia then Morocco. I could really use some (a lot of) help.

So far I've got a roof top tent, installed rear drawers, cage and shelf bought a cooker and some 17" rims.

Far from ready and could use advice on the following, along with everything else I haven't thought of -

Fridge - thoughts on Alpicool and Vevor, which are at the low end of prices? Or others?

Leisure battery and charging. I saw somewhere a 'device' that switches alternator charging to the second battery only when starter battery is appropriately charged. £55 inc cables.

Solar panel?

Awning - rather like ARB 2,000 x 2,500

Tyres for 17" rims - anyone have good experience of Patriots? or others?

Hand pump shower

Tables, chairs etc.

Water carrier

Many thanks

Pete

-Compressor.
-You want a Voltage Sensitive Relay on your battery system to manage the two batteries. 2nd battery make sure it's a deep cycle.
-Fridge: Engel all the way. 2 x 40L if you want a freezer and fridge and can manage the space - the combo's are not adequate. If you are going to be less that 7 days freezer not necessary.
-Awning is a godsend.
-Extra spare wheel.
-tyre plugs.
-decent tyres.
-Comms: Mobile should be adequate in the UK. If not, satphone or vhf radio comms.

Post #22991528th Jul 2022 7:22 pm
Register

Lee - thanks for the advice, but I've already committed to Camping Gas, which I remember from my childhood.

Gorilla63 - thanks, my next mission is dual battery. I'm currently on line looking at these and need to commit today as time is running out.

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/prod...y-85ah-12v

https://www.rayneautomotive.co.uk/product-...lay-system

With the second battery up front, what's the best cable route to the rear and cable spec?

Went for a T-Max compressor

ARB awning - need to figure mounting to RTT

Working on the fridge.

UK mobile plus local sim card most likely.

Thanks

Pete
 Everything's a hammer.  
Post #22992239th Jul 2022 7:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >