Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Extended LR Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
devonchilliman

England 
Extended LR Warranty

I can't believe that my D4 is nearly 3 years old already & so it's LR warranty will expire at the end of March....
I'm thinking of extending it and staying with a LR one,has anybody done this and are there any deals out there ? Thumbs Up
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #123821717th Feb 2014 5:19 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I've got the same dilemma... in fact all the Landmark owners will about now! Laughing

I was just about to go with Warranty Direct as they offered a two year ExtraCare deal for £1,200. This includes a 'wear and tear' deal which looks very attractive. My car's done around 62,000 miles but they were fine about that and an average of 20k a year.

Trouble was, when the policy arrived there were loads of mistakes, despite our verbal deal. A written 12k annual milage limit, max 84k milage and then coverage stops, and best of all, take it off-road and your not covered at all. I rang to question these and they were very vague. Said the milage thing was a mistake and I was okay to take it off-road, just don't use it for rally, time trials or meets etc. But that's not what it says on the policy, and I was worried that it was a bit of a catch all clause.

End result is they lost my trust. When I rang to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period, they were frankly rude. Called my action ridiculous and it took me ages and many calls to get my money back. Glad I don't have to deal with them on a claim - bet they wouldn't pay out if I'd made that many mistakes on my application!

I'm now tempted to take the risk myself and put £800 a year into the pot? I did this with my old D3 for 6 years/100k and ended up way ahead. Bit worried that the LR policy will just say everything is fair wear and tear?

Post #123834917th Feb 2014 9:40 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I went with the LR extended warranty and as far as I know the main exclusion is the entertainment system. I had a slight problem regarding continuity of cover between the manufacturers warranty ending and the extended warranty starting (dealer registered the car on the LR system a few days earlier than I took ownership) but Pete helped sort that one out.

Hopefully, I won't have to use the extra cover but if I didn't have it you can be sure some horrendous problem would arise.
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #123835217th Feb 2014 9:52 pm
RAW

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My is due as well for both D4's Big Cry

I took the LR one out with my D3 with the LR Assistance and must say it was really good got my money back quickly as I broke down with the trailer on fully loaded at 3.5t. Fast response from LRA and they recovered Disco and trailer back to dealers where they repaired it while I waited.

Will be stretching my arms to reach into my deep pockets Rolling with laughter
Thumbs Up
 MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 silver Commercial
MY11 D4 Fuji White Landmark (Gone)
MY11 D4 Silver Commercial(Gone)
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12
Kubota KX41-2 

Post #123836017th Feb 2014 10:04 pm
disco3wannabe

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I originally had Warranty Direct but after just over a year of every claim being a hard fought battle and phenomenally stressful I switched to LR and just over a year later it is like a walk in the park if anything goes wrong. Having tried both I just wouldn't consider WD now on any car.

I had to get the Financial Ombudsman service involved twice with them and both times the FO were staggered by their arguments and found in my favour but it shouldn't have to be like that.

Post #123854518th Feb 2014 9:08 am
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

L/r for me as well...

Post #123862218th Feb 2014 12:21 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Just handed back a 63-plate D4 HSE Luxury courtesy car and picked up my repaired 2011 D4 HSE, warranty expires mid-April 2014.
The difference with the 8-speed 255bhp is really noticeable. 2011 feels and handles like an old barge.
But there's not enough in it to make up the price to change.
So I'll be going with the LR extended warranty and LR Assistance, just for the ease of the claims process: LRA diagnosis/ fault code, book-in, courtesy car and repair.
Had Warranty Direct on another car, and the claims process was a pain.

Post #123865118th Feb 2014 1:12 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Thankyou all for your replies so far Bow down

Are there any deals about on the LR extended warranty then?
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #123866918th Feb 2014 1:44 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

No deals I could find - the dealer quoted me the same as the online price (£1060).
They did offer me a service contract for the next 2 services, which would supposedly reduce the cost of the services at the end of my existing warranty and at the end of the extended warranty.
But I know from phoning around for my last services, it would never come to the £840 they were quoting. Just book them in as-and-when needed.

Post #123867118th Feb 2014 1:53 pm
bobgolden

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Funny how folks have different preferences.

I've been in a 63 plate for the last 6 weeks and I much prefer my MY11 with the 6 speed auto rather than the 8 speed. Undoubtedly fuel consumption is slightly better on the loaner and it's more relaxed on the main roads and motorways but I find that urban driving doesn't quite suit the gearbox, especially from various standing starts at roundabouts/junctions on slight inclines. I also prefer the proper gear shift - loved the rotary on the XF I had but it just doesn't suit the Disco. IMHO.

Edited to answer the question Whistle

No deals on the warranty - I did the full Monty with recovery at £1060 too.
 2010 MX-5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT
2019 Suzuki Vitara AllGrip

Gone BMW X5 xDrive 30d M Sport (F15)
Gone Disco 4 HSE SD V6
Gone 2008 Jaguar XF 2.7TD Premium Luxury 

Post #124002220th Feb 2014 8:42 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The LR extended warranty is nothing to do with LR, it's outsourced, they just use the name because some people like a name or get misled into believing its LR Wink

Post #124082421st Feb 2014 11:47 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

DC I'm on my second year of using LR EW in my opinion we'll worth the money.
I bought the top package with no limits and inclusive of LR Assistance,
last year got my money and more back if I compared what I would have spent on parts and labour Shocked and also used the LRA for the courtesy car benefit Whistle
Dealership never queried any repair or fault and did everything that was required when needed.
Well worth it if any thing just for the peace of mind Thumbs Up

Cheers
Sharks
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #124088622nd Feb 2014 9:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco3wannabe

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

True, but the difference is the dealers are much happier to sort out with them rather than other warranty companies, you don't have to outlay any money first to reclaim later like others and you also have a LR customer service layer you can get onside should the need arise (touch wood it's not needed).

I'm sure every person has their own experiences which tarnish or varnish their views but so far for us, LR beats WD every time.

Post #124088722nd Feb 2014 9:19 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Discotres wrote:
The LR extended warranty is nothing to do with LR, it's outsourced, they just use the name because some people like a name or get misled into believing its LR Wink

Whilst the warranty may be outsourced, the first page of the warranty documentation contains the all important statement that:

'This Warranty is provided by Land Rover (the Company)'

I would prefer to have to debate the merits of a claim with a single customer services department rather than play ping pong between two separate entities. Yes, LR CS are quick to try and put you onto the administrators of the LR Warranty, but ultimately your contract is with Land Rover and they do seem to be prepared to get involved if required.

As others have already stated, main dealers are also usually much happier to deal with the Land Rover product than those provided by other warranty companies - they know the system and how to work it. The courtesy/hire car for up to a week (major issues) and 2 days (LR Assist) is a significant benefit.

I was able to purchase 3 years of LR Approved Warranty when I bought my 2009 D3 in August 2012 - this provides the full LR warranty cover (irrespective of mileage) and is transferable. Thus far I have already had work carried out that is equivalent to the cost of the first two years cover, and still have 18 months to go (with a possible major claim looming Rolling Eyes ).

The LR Approved Warranty (rather than select) contains 3 elements:

LR Warranty - ie when things break or fail
LR Assist - Effectively AA Relay Plus cover for the vehicle
MOT Insurance - up to £750 cover for work needed to bring an MOT fail up to a MOT pass

Yes, it is expensive. But for the peace of mind it gives I think it is a worthwhile investment given the complexity of the vehicles.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #124094022nd Feb 2014 11:42 am
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Mine due at end of April so called local dealer and, by ay of an update, still no deals to be had it seems:

Approved: £1,060/year inc LR Assist
Approved: £910/year exc LR Assist
Select: £875/year inc LR Assist
Select: £725/year exc LR Assist

Not even an offer if you by 2 or 3 years in advance.
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #12470684th Mar 2014 4:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >