Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

FBH - seems to work on WTT/W-bus but not car (CAN issue??)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
itguy

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
FBH - seems to work on WTT/W-bus but not car (CAN issue??)

Morning everyone

Slight strange goings on this morning. FBH didn’t fire up (it’s 1c, battery 12.2v, no low fuel warning light on) when I started the engine.

Thought I’d plug in the laptop with WTT and the forum diagnostic cable to see if there were any errors on the FBH and nope, no fault codes, works as expected when firing up with WTT, clean burn, no issues with start up, full burn and then shut down/cooling.

Also works ok with my W-Bus remote control I fitted.

Just doesn’t seem to want to fire up from CAN messaging / the car - as it should do.

I’m going to go and fill her up with diesel this morning and I can put the battery on charge, but apart from that, what else is there to check?

It’s been working all just fine.

I have a Carsoft LR v1 code scanner which showed 1 message on the aux heater of ‘vehicle configuration parameter’ or something like that, which if I clear it it comes back?? Have never seen this before either. Is it just indicating that there is a parameter that is set which means the heater won’t start? No fault codes with HVAC etc. The Carsoft has a mode where you can view live data, which I did (without the car running) and it seems to be fine talking to the FBH, it knew it was not running and what the coolant temp being reported was etc etc.

Very odd!

Last edited by itguy on 6th Mar 2021 4:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22154776th Mar 2021 10:39 am
itguy

The actual stored code is u1a03 - vehicle configuration parameter.

Diesel doesn’t seem to have resolved this, so I am wondering if it is a general battery condition / voltage issue. I have my overall doubts about the battery health anyway so wonder if this isn’t helping.

Long charge on the C-tek next I think.

Post #22154996th Mar 2021 11:57 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

nothing strange... 12.2V IS a very LOW battery

so car config does interfere.... i presume, keep in mind it IS configurerd as an AUXILARY heater, supposed to be running with a running engine and a charging alternator

WTT is diagnostic/adjust software with other voltage (it does overrule) parameters...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22155346th Mar 2021 2:21 pm
itguy

Battery charged and working at 12.8v now, still no joy.

Did a hard reset but no change too.

Is there a way I can verify if the CAN bus medium speed Comms is ok to the FBH?

I haven’t had to fault find CAN before, so advice needed.

The reason I ask is that after the hard reset, there were a few codes which point towards a Comms issue with the FBH - like one for the instrument cluster saying it had lost Comms with the FBH, for example.

The icarsoft live data is shown below for the CAN messaging. I wondered if I disconnected the battery, could I try to see if there is continuity between the CAN lines and somewhere else on the CAN bus on the car? Like the climate control module, given that seems to be the next step in the chain for the FBH CAN wiring?

Thanks

Post #22155616th Mar 2021 4:39 pm
itguy

Must admit, not too sure where to go with the fault finding now so thought I’d try and test continuity between the FBH CAN lines and the HVAC climate control unit.

Tested Yellow/Blue and that has total continuity, but then the yellow/white has 17k resistance. Is that right?!

I did also try between the radio CAN lines and the HVAC CAN lines and both colours showed 19k and 20k resistance respectively.

Not really sure what I’m doing or what results I should be getting to be honest!! First time troubleshooting CAN..

Post #22156436th Mar 2021 9:15 pm
itguy

New battery bought and fitted, still no joy.

Went back to the WTT software and there is a fault logged, see photo below - ‘ECU Wrong Coded’ 11h.

Device information listed also just in case it means anything to anyone.

I am now really wondering if there is some kind of ECU config issue in the car somewhere, not sure if that is possible or not? Everything else in the car works perfectly including the front and rear parking sensors that are medium speed CAN bus, linked to the same spur as the FBH. Given that the real time data is also read by my code reader from the FBH, this would suggest to me that the CAN is working ok too.

Is there a configuration setting anywhere in any of the ECUs/modules that does anything with the FBH? Tells it what fuel type perhaps?

Just to reiterate, the FBH is working fine on w-bus with WTT and fires up properly on command via it. Just getting CAN errors from it / on it.

I don’t have IID so I am at a bit of a loss now as to what my next move is? - But that said, I’m not sure what action I’d take if I did have IID?

Thanks

Will.

Post #22158277th Mar 2021 3:55 pm
itguy

One other thing I noticed was that the webasto is reporting ‘fuel type neutral’ - is that normal or odd?

If odd, is there a way this can be set to diesel - could that be the issue? Can you flash a webasto unit??

All seems very strange given it was working a week ago...

Post #22158287th Mar 2021 4:10 pm
Motolab

if you use the wrong key in some webasto diagnostic versions... you wil open a screen with hexadecimal codes... change one digit without knowing what you do and it is bricked... permanently...

maybe that happened? otherwise it can be just FBH ECU CAN chip issue, why not? or you changed something else on the CAN bus? something what has the same "resistance code" as the FBH ?
can be anything.. you fitted and has contact with the CAN bus..

regarding WTT
do not take this peronal....more in general
if it is bricked due to a change in the code....that is why i am not a fan, that people use this software in the first place... seen too many people who are curious...(everything works fine, but they read on a forum that is it an intersting tool) make a mistake and .. wrong...

one of the reasons i stopped selling FBH units for doing it yourself purposes.... too many of those customers fiddling arround with software, and we had to solve it...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22158347th Mar 2021 5:08 pm
itguy

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve not added anything or changed anything on the CAN bus at all and I’ve not used WTT for anything apart from testing the unit (so starting and stopping it), clearing fault codes and looking at the real time data. Never changed anything else, no co2 adjustments, nothing.

To be honest I wouldn’t know where to go in WTT to enter any hex settings etc, let alone what to alter. Believe me I am really careful with this kind of stuff.

Post #22158357th Mar 2021 5:15 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If it helps the "Device Data" page should indeed show the fuel type as "Diesel", perhaps this is having an undesired effect?

How you change it now is another question, perhaps re-flash but that's only a guess!!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22158527th Mar 2021 6:30 pm
itguy

Ok, thank you for confirming, that is very helpful, as at least it might mean this is a FBH issue rather than the car itself...

Good question re re-flashing the FBH though... no idea!! I can see me ending up buying an old one for the PCB at this rate.

Such a pain as only about a month ago I removed it, cleaned it, new seals etc etc.

Post #22158677th Mar 2021 6:52 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well you have a working FBH via the W-bus controller, so it's not a disaster if it doesn't start via the LR settings!
If you do decide to proceed to replace the board you can do it without removing the entire unit! TBH though I'd leave well enough alone if you can live with using the plip!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22158737th Mar 2021 6:58 pm
itguy

Yes I know what you mean, but it is just frustrating that it should work as designed and now it doesn't !

Post #22158857th Mar 2021 7:29 pm
Motolab

Tbh..... software or fuel type designation, do not change by themselves...

It did work you said? Or not? Since you pulled it apart.... installed W-bus controller in the line...and somewhere after that it does not work......

Trying another unit, can be helpfull with fault finding though.... but be quick... it’s warming up outside Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Post #22158877th Mar 2021 7:38 pm
itguy

Yes I agree, things don’t just happen.

Timeline of events;

It didn’t work (needed cleaning)
Cleaned it, worked fine, activated by WTT or by the car via CAN
Installed w-bus controller with pin2 and remote control, still worked via CAN or new remote
Car had a service + cambelts*
Noticed heater not working via CAN any more, but remote working fine

Then started the investigation as per below.

The only thing I know related to * above is that they did disconnect the battery (presume removed it so to access rear cambelt). I am NOT suggesting that the garage has done something to my FBH (or wiring etc etc), so I haven’t mentioned this before now - but I know it may be relevant. I also haven’t spoken to them yet, which I will do tomorrow.

My only thought is if when disconnecting the battery or me charging it with the c-tek, it has somehow partially corrupted the ECU in the FBH.

There is also an EOL checksum error fault code recorded now too on the FBH. See attached.

Post #22159387th Mar 2021 10:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >