Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Fed up with Tesco insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Land Rover Paul

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3
Fed up with Tesco insurance

I'm having a nightmare with Tesco's insurance.
Last Friday I was in a minor collision on a roundabout. A ford S max thing hit me in my drivers wheel at about 15 mph.
Since then it has been 1 drama after another.
All I can see is a scuffed wheel and bumper and track rod arm is bent like a banana.
I can't have a courtesy car as it might be a total loss Rolling Eyes
but it cannot be a total loss untill its been examined.
Every day I was promised a call and every day it never came so I have had to phone and chase it all the way. Car picked up Wednesday at 10 am then Body shop phones me a 4pm to find out when I'm taking it in Shocked then insurance assessor phones at 4.45 pm to arrange to look at car at my house.
He was quite supprised that it had been collected.
Now the body shop has told me its £3500 worth of repairs Rolling with laughter Not sure if it wants a steering rack so we will replace it anyway and a load of other stuff too.(Robbing Gits)
Now I have been waiting all day for them to phone and tell me if its total loss or are they going to fix it. No call so I phone them again. Now the assessor is not available until monday he has to read the quote and make a decision. So I'm now without a car or answer until some time next week.
All this 10 days after I put 4 brand new tyres on and newly painted black replacement wheels at a cost of just under a grand Big Cry
If it is a total loss I'm still hoping to buy it back or at the very least get the wheels swapped back with the origionals but what a bloody pain Censored

Post #141320223rd Jan 2015 8:18 pm
Sloss

Scotland 

If the Assessor hasn't seen it go and swap the wheels.... Whistle
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #141321323rd Jan 2015 8:36 pm
Land Rover Paul

I don't think I can at the body shop but I am considering going and getting it back on a trailer so that its back in my possession I have control over what happens to it and whats still on it Whistle

Post #141322023rd Jan 2015 8:53 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

If you take it back without the consent of the insurance company then kiss goodbye to your claim and brace yourself for a big premium hike for having your insurance forcibly cancelled. Even getting insurance again in these circumstances will be a challenge.

As for stripping bits off your vehicle that may become the property of the insurance company if they decide it is a total loss…. are you sure you want to risk being caught? Has anyone taken pictures? Other party? Body shop?

It is terrible that you are being messed about, but think hard about what decisions you make in the heat of the moment.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #141324023rd Jan 2015 9:31 pm
Land Rover Paul

I'm not taking it without permission but I can take it for a second opinion if I want to. At the end of the day it is my property until I agree any settlement with them. I would just prefer that it is back in my control. Possession being 9 tenths of the law and all that.
They have said that if it is a total loss that I may be able to buy it back but not guaranteed.
It will be written off if the damage is more than 40% of the value. £3500 damage on a 55 plate 130,000 mile S is a close call.
I think I could get my local garage to fix it for about £800.
Just such a pain getting any answers from them. Censored

Post #141329523rd Jan 2015 10:35 pm
FenRob

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

As you were not at fault, it's ENTIRELY up to you as to where you get the car fixed. Take it to your local garage, get it fixed for £800, then pursue the other party for the claim.

They have the legal obligation to put you back into the situation you were in before - so they should pay for repairs (40% cut off should be irrelevant here), or they would need to pay you the full cost of sourcing an equivalent vehicle - which in your case would include the new wheels and tyres.

It's not the same as claiming from your own insurer when you were at fault.

Post #141329823rd Jan 2015 10:45 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Land Rover Paul wrote:
At the end of the day it is my property until I agree any settlement with them. ...

Absolutely true...
I had the same with a Volvo some years back (I had Volvo branded insurance too).
Car in accident (very fortunate it wasn't more serious) a hit & run situation....near Carlisle - Hexham to Carlisle road.
Car examined by assessor - even though otherwise a very clean car at the age of 8 was a technical write off.
The insurance company gave me a settlement & the vehicle
The settlement paid for all the repairs - just
Then believe it or not the car was reinsured (by the same company)...strangely at a discount as I had another car with same make insurance that came out at figure less than before.
the insurance company made a civil claim against the other driver & had a comprehensive win - all the costs, the payment to me, his motoring offence re evaluated - he got eleven points & an 800 pound fine also a final warning from his employers.

...so I would hang in there & see what your options are
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #141339124th Jan 2015 8:54 am
fisherman

Wales 

The car is yours so don't let them do anything to it without your permission.
The cut off for a write off is 60% the value normally but in truth it's a commercial decision based on it's salvage value. If it costs the Ins Co less to repair, that's what they'll attempt.
As said before, this is a non fault accident and the costs are actually going to be paid by the third party ins co. Have you tried calling them to see if they'd give you a better service?
They will jump at the chance to control the costs and likely to sort out a hire car immediately. You are able to have a family saloon if your car is over 6 years old, if it's younger they have to offer like for like.
Tesco will reclaim all costs from them anyway so to give them first dibs on settlement is like Xmas all over again. I'm surprised Tesco haven't put you with an accident management company as it's non fault. They are usually robbing Censored so have you in a Range Rover overnight at a charge of £200/day to the third party. It's why we all pay so much nowadays.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #141339824th Jan 2015 9:12 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

One peculiarity of insurance liars is the other (3rd) party

they hit you - so a no fault accident (whether the Police are there or called or not)
you make you claim...
the other party doesn't...
....stalls the process as you cant progress your claim...in my case why the insurers went for the civil case against the other driver & won & made it far far worse for him.

Maybe the insurance sponsor on here will explain the vagaries of how insurance companies operate with each other & within the law on this.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #141340224th Jan 2015 9:20 am
Washwipe

England 

It doesn't help in this case, always wise after the event, but it's when you have to claim, is the time when you find out how good your insurance company is.

Post #141343124th Jan 2015 10:20 am
Petenotginge

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just a point on the "non fault accident"

I got hit on a roundabout a few years ago (2000) . long story short, I was going straight over, the guy to my right , ( in a lane marked with an arrow) pointing straight ahead, turned left sharply in front of me, taking the front of my car off.

The insurance company deemed it 50/50 and stated that they classify ALL collisions on roundabouts as 50/50, they said this is due to the fact that the markings are for guidance only, not legally binding.

Hopefully they've changed this ridiculous viewpoint, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've not

Post #141343624th Jan 2015 10:28 am
BLFarrar

D3 bumped & off road

so frustrating it may be....but there is no rush.
all the posts above may look wise after the event & it will always be that way on here....after the event

I learnt from my experience - look at the policy conditions & choose the insurer very carefully...The Volvo insurance I had was by Sun Alliance - who are large enough & have the clout to pursue things for their benefit initially & this then benefitted me, they initiated & pursued a civil claim

The broker I now use gives me at least two alternatives every time I renew & it isn't always just the lowest premium. I now take the options of legal cover beyond the usual policy ones just for the situation I was in where I couldn't make a direct claim because the other guy hadnt claimed - he had merely reported the accident.

Not sure about which insurers Tesco actually use as after all they are just being brokers.
Bargain basement isn't always a bargain especially with insurance

I wasn't aware about the roundabout ruling & it surprises me...I wonder if that would obtain if there was injury & the Police involved ?
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #141347124th Jan 2015 11:45 am
Land Rover Paul

This is the problem. My accident was on a roundabout and I have been advised that it will be classed as 50/50 in terms of blame. |So suddenly my insurance company don't want to give you anything. The annoying thing is if it wasn't for the fact another car was involved I would of gone to my local garage and this would have been sorted in a weekend. Its not until you don't have your car that you realise just how much you rely on it.
I've calmed down a bit since yesterday and I'm resigned to the fact that I just have to wait and deal with them 1 step at a time. Confused

Post #141349224th Jan 2015 12:21 pm
Land Rover Paul

I've just found this review site. Perhaps I should have looked it up before I took out the policy Shocked I think I have the Tesco value insurance policy. Big Cry

http://www.reviewcentre.com/Car-Insurance/...ew_3121207

Post #141350724th Jan 2015 1:03 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I hope you get this sorted,it can be a real nightmare dealing with these companies.

I fully understand the savings that can be had but this is the reason why Directline get the business on all of our cars. The service is excellent.

I had a similar situation in my D2, damage was cosmetic but the quote was £1380. The accessor told Directline he thought I was in the trade and would be able to do the repair myself so they offered me the money as an option, no hassles and the car is still insured with them. Thumbs Up
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #141351624th Jan 2015 1:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >