Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

First time towing with the Disco.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Bazalab

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Al

At 80+summers I drive within the speed limits and for best economy. My D4 is one of the last of the breed (Nov 15). Just as LR seemed to have got it right they stopped making them. Have to say it has been regularly services and very reliable (46500 miles to date) so that may give you another clue.

Have only had to replace Main & Stop/Start Batteries this year and new Compressor (Warranty Direct claim) will be fitted shortly as I will be towing a few times between now and the New Year. Other than brakes and tyres (34000 out of first set) only other has been the usual consumables.

I am pleased to hear that you are pleased with your D5 as like the D4 others have not been so happy.

Nice hearing from you.

Bazalab

Post #230488920th Aug 2022 5:17 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I would be interested to hear what others do regarding tyre pressures when towing a caravan. I have towed with the Disco tyre pressures set at normal and with the pressures set at the fully loaded as per the info sticker on the vehicle. I have found the normal pressure to be smoother overall. The D4 is a tremendous tug and pulls our 2 tons without any effort, sitting comfortably at 60 cruise control on the motorways.

Post #230535424th Aug 2022 9:42 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Towed a lot with my old D3 and D4 including some very long all day tows across Europe. They both towed extremely well.

I now have 2020 XC90 R-Design diesel and I'm extremely impressed with it. It tows very well and is super comfy with really good tech. The build quality is excellent and the dealer experience is fantastic. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #230535824th Aug 2022 10:14 am
Bazalab

Froogle-Yorkshireman wrote:
I would be interested to hear what others do regarding tyre pressures when towing a caravan. I have towed with the Disco tyre pressures set at normal and with the pressures set at the fully loaded as per the info sticker on the vehicle. I have found the normal pressure to be smoother overall. The D4 is a tremendous tug and pulls our 2 tons without any effort, sitting comfortably at 60 cruise control on the motorways.

Hi Froogle-Yorkshireman

I increase Disco 4 tire pressures to 43 rear and 37 front when towing my 2000kg rated Buccaneer. I also move the Normal Load rating up to Heavy Load on the cars computer to compensate for my car loaded with awning etc and the nose weight on the tow hitch. Tows very well and smoothly. I tow between 50/60mph and use cruise control when safe to do so.

Incidentally I had the detachable hitch removed and had a fixed tow bar fitted. That was due to when I previously had a RR Sport and was told by my local LR dealership that the detachable one at that time was only designed for light towing not caravans and Boats.

However, when I challenged that and showed the dealership the illustration of a RR Sport towing a large boat in the user manual they said contact LR direct and gave me the number. To keep it short, LR agreed to fit a new fixed tow bar on that vehicle. Hence my doing the same on my Disco 4 but at my expense.

Bazalab

Post #230536124th Aug 2022 10:35 am
N5Fav

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As well as being a good tow car, I had to do an emergency stop on the M1 near Sheffield last year when some plonker pulled out of the emergency refuge without warning and didn't seem to know how to accelerate.
So my D3's ABS kicked in, the caravan tyres smoked and squealed merrily, and an artic lorry had to do an emergency manoeuvre to avoid demolishing my caravan.
Well impressed with how the D3 stopped in a straight line with no drama and the caravan didn't try and push it offline.
 1994 Defender 300tdi 110 commercial
2007 Disco 2.7 XS Buckingham Blue
1959 Standard 10 Coffe & Cream
1974 Vauxhall Magnum 1800 estate Olivine Starfire Green
1994 Renault 19 Cabrio
1995 Kawasaki GPz 1100 

Post #230536924th Aug 2022 11:53 am
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for all the input on this thread. I have been reading with interest but haven’t posted as I’ve been away towing around Scotland.
Still undecided, some say the 2ltr four pot is a bit lacking and noisy when towing. Whereas the disco seems to come into it’s own when you hang a caravan on the back.
Just spent on four new tyres and alignment plus two front lower control arms and a new propshaft to get through this years mot. So may just keep it a bit longer as it’s mostly used now just for towing and only on 60,000.
Last year it had cam belts done, and all fluids replaced at disco mickeys in Dundee. Oh and it needed a new battery and a starter motor.
Must admit I’ve been looking at 2017/18 tdv8 FFRR, always wanted a v8 and this could be final chance. But then I think why pay out that outlay when most of the time it’s sat on the drive between tows.
Same would apply to a Volvo I suppose. But either would ease my crankshaft concerns!
There’s no such thing as an easy decision.
Al, I’ve seen your threads about the engine problems on your D5, all sorted? Bet that may sway you towards the Volvo.
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #230597130th Aug 2022 1:44 pm
Dai-Disco3

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I swapped to a VW Touareg after deciding the D3 was just getting too expensive to maintain and each ping from the dash meant at least £1000 being spent. Big Cry
The VW cannot touch the D3 for towing, even with proper VW fitted tow hitch there is so much hitch noise from even the smallest trailer! Shocked
My VW is an R-Line, huge amount of power, it is faster, 0-60 in around 7 seconds. It is more fuel efficient, if you can call a 3.0 litre diesel efficient! It does pull a trailer with ease, I have towed up to about 2 tonne. It has all the comfort and toys you would want Smile
I haven't taken either off road so cannot comment but the D3 I am sure would beat it without trying.
The biggest improvement is service cost, even at main stealers, considerably cheaper.
Oh and of course a vast improvement in the number of pings! (it only pings when less that 4 degrees, a shock the first time the temp dropped!), so far the only thing that I have had to replace is the windscreen wipers Very Happy
Its not a D3 and I do miss it as it is the best car I have every had, I lurk on here seeing what others have done in theirs, but I don't miss the bills!
 D3 Gone Sad VW Touareg in in place but still loiter, may be back one day  
Post #230597730th Aug 2022 2:52 pm
Bazalab

Suppose I should show you mine!!!

Post #230597930th Aug 2022 3:25 pm
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Go on then.
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #230599830th Aug 2022 6:04 pm
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I’ve no picture to add, but my first time towing with my D3 just a few weeks back, was a ~14ft Ifor box trailer loaded heavy with mains cables and distro, and a boot full of more.

Estimated about 3t, and the box had sunk into the muddy field almost to the leading edge of the chassis. After much winding and swearing and suspension deflating and inflating we got it hitched up, and on my bog standard road tyres, in no fancy terrain mode beyond low range, the trusty D3 pulled the box up and out of the mud without so much as a flash of TC, clear of the field and onto tarmac. And then off and away from Fochabers to Inverness without a ping of a fault, or rise in temperature. Hardly made a dink in my average MPG either, though I was driving far more carefully than I would unloaded…

What a wonderful machine.
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #230605131st Aug 2022 8:48 am
Higgy

United Kingdom 

I was sat on the fence for a while prior to purchasing our D4 from a friend. The horror stories were really putting me off. I have to say it is everything and more when it comes to towing, we have 3 children so plenty of room in the back. Vast boot for awning, chairs, tables etc. the air suspension is what really helps, it is so smooth and the children don’t get car sick as when towing with the S-Max the back used to bounce a lot. The only downsides for me are the car tax and MPG. But that’s a small price to pay for the assurance whilst towing.

Post #231555519th Nov 2022 7:57 am
hmallett

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had never towed anything bigger than a towable chipper until 2 weeks ago.

Then I borrowed a neighbour's triple axle livestock trailer. Neighbour hooked it up, and it didn't have much nose weight. I only drove it about 5 miles unloaded, but it didn't feel great. Felt like the empty trailer, at about 1300 kg, was exerting a lot of influence on the D3. On my return trip, with the trailer loaded with about 400 kg of hay, it felt better. After unloading, when we unhitched the trailer, the D3 suspension dropped almost to the floor! I reckon there must have been a lot of negative nose weight on the trailer, and the suspension was compensating. The car gave a dash message along the lines of "Adjust height manually". Never seen that before!

That was a precursor to picking up a caravan. Almost 8 metres long, 8 feet wide, and about 1750 kg unladen. If I'd had the choice I wouldn't have picked it up on a day with 45 mph wind gusts, on a 100 mile journey where I was going over viaducts! I have to say that while it wasn't fast, I did fell like it drove quite nicely, once I got used to the width. The biggest surprise was doing a long sweeping turn as we switched from one motorway to another, at only about 40 mph, and having the stability control light flashing away for about 5 seconds! Surprised

For the sake of comparison, I drove nice and gently on the way to get the caravan, and got an indicated 42 mpg. On the return journey with the caravan I got 22 mpg.

Post #232393923rd Jan 2023 10:37 pm
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Towed and launched our 12 ft clinker built boat off the beach, Kinloch, Lake Taupo, New Zealand yesterday.

I even put it into low ratio on the sand!

Post #232395624th Jan 2023 6:20 am
RSRowe

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Mine tows something a little different.

Post #232400324th Jan 2023 2:52 pm
Realist

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I get 27MPG normal and about 22MPG towing.

Click image to enlarge

Why wait, just go for it and enjoy life.

Previous….
Discovery 300TDI
Range Rover Vogue

Current:
2010 Discovery 4 GS Santorini Metallic Black 

Post #232400924th Jan 2023 3:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >