DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

First warranty quote
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Worth the uplift IMHO.

Remember extended warranties have those that love them and those that loath them, and the full spectrum in between. I've certainly got good use out of them but my worries aren't the little bearing hear, bush there, it's the big ticket items like engine & gearbox. I can afford to pay for an engine & gearbox if they went bang but choose to not take that risk.

As I like to say, pays yer money & takes yer chance. Whistle

Post #11531635th Sep 2013 4:09 pm
JimmyP

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My view is that if I'm paying out over £15k + road tax + diesel costs + servicing & MOT costs for a motor that my family and I plan to use regularly - and holiday in - for at least 4 years then £60 per month isn't that high a price to ensure that most things are covered.

Some people will say it's a waste of money...... but so are most optional insurance policies if you don't claim on them, aren't they....?

Some people say just stick the £60 in a bank account each month instead to cover the costs.....but that doesn't help me if my turbo fails one month in, does it....?

Anyway, I'm happy enough with the cover at the moment but only time will tell if I've made the right choice.

Post #11531825th Sep 2013 5:26 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

That was a good deal from WD. Mine is due for renewal next month after a year in which they paid me more than I paid them and on each occasion I claimed the service was flawless. I will look to improve the cover based upon your experience.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #11538937th Sep 2013 8:11 am
JimmyP

Good luck with it Barn1e, hope you get a decent deal.

Post #11539037th Sep 2013 8:30 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
The Odds...

I look on the after market warranties as a bet....
the race is you using your vehicle......you decide usually how often it runs & how far + the type of course...unique situation - you are the both the jockey & the punter...

the warranty provider is the bookie...he decides the rules & the odds.

....the race is run...you are clearly the winner...you car needs to be fixed

Your car has broken down or waivers in some way...& quite rightly you want to claim your winnings

.....its then the bookie either pays out or quibbles...the rules are closely scrutinised & small print all of a sudden becomes large, definitions of what constitutes what are brought in to explain why the bet is void & the bookie keeps the stake....your money is kept trousered

.....you can of course not be a betting man & save what you would pay out in "the stake" & save this to fund your car repairs & upkeep.

Fortunately the situation is in your control...you can decide whether to get involved at all & which bookie you use if you do...these are plentiful & use all sorts of means to encourage you to take a bet
you can use Honest Jim...the local man.....known & trusted (Car Care)...the choice of the original car makers as well to extend the original warranty
or
you can use Sarcastic Sam.....lots of bling & persistent sales (Warranty Direct)...who phone you every day until you either tell them to Censored off) or pay up...they even use TV presenters (the man with the wobbly gob) to convince you.

I wasnt convinced....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #11539387th Sep 2013 10:02 am
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What if there isn't enough in your pot to pay for repairs, your Censored , I have WD and can sleep at night, that means a lot to me and know I will have transport Thumbs Up

It seems people with a gamblers brain like risk, well I don't gamble Wink

Post #11539467th Sep 2013 10:19 am
DSL

Ukraine 

I've never had less out of the warranty for the D3s than I've paid in premiums, never. It's a LR after all. I'm just pleasantly suprised that they still cover them. Laughing

Post #11539547th Sep 2013 10:26 am
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Dealer rates? See if you can beat them up to £50 a month, with "do it for that and hear's my credit card no". Thumbs Up

What is meant by dealer rates ?
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #11540077th Sep 2013 12:09 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Franchised dealer rates (£~100 - 120/hr) as opposed to indie or general garage rates (£~40 - 60/hr). ISTR £200/hour limit. Thumbs Up

Post #11540217th Sep 2013 12:35 pm
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for clearing that up DSL
Looks like I will be ringing Warranty Direct for peace of mind
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #11540247th Sep 2013 12:42 pm
JimmyP

BLFarrar: so basically - horses for courses then...? I still stand by my point - and that of Discotres - about not being able to cover a big bill early on if you decide to save the money instead of paying for a warranty. Or if there's not enough in there to pay for a new gearbox.

Like I said before, if a better deal for a warranty comes up I'm in a decent position because of the rolling contract I've got with WD but at the moment I'm happy.

Post #11540527th Sep 2013 2:11 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

I've

Risked it with my Disco & Freelander....8 years & 4 years in - no big bills
My Jag a different story the Car Care was in place before my maker warranty expired......warned by a colleague not wise to let this one to chance.
I have asked all the dealers & Indies I know which they recommend..it was car care every time ...I wondered why & the answer came back - they dont quibble...on the bills especially the BIG ones.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #11540837th Sep 2013 4:17 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I went into the WD contract not knowing as much about Disco 3's as WD do, given all their clients and experience. However, I did know about my D3 and based upon experience thought I was due for a new torque converter. That knowledge proved correct and they paid up. As for next year, I am not sure what else may be due for failure, so the cards may well be stacked in WD favour next year.

Options for failure are alternator (done 122k miles), turbo (?), wheeel bearing (WD replaced one of 4 last year), bushes (based upon first changes, I have about 20k miles before changing) and all the other things I have forgotten/dreaded to mention.

However, at the end of the day, it may well be a simple decision to do my own servicing that tips the balance in favour of not renewing with WD - they need evidence of VAT reg garage doing the service as per manual. I have some skills, experience and the tools, and with this site the confidence to DIY.

Decisions, decisions
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #11540867th Sep 2013 4:41 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: The Odds...

BLFarrar wrote:
...the rules are closely scrutinised & small print all of a sudden becomes large, definitions of what constitutes what are brought in to explain why the bet is void & the bookie keeps the stake....your money is kept trousered

.....you can of course not be a betting man & save what you would pay out in "the stake" & save this to fund your car repairs & upkeep.

Could not have put it better myself Thumbs Up

Having to deal with warranty companies on a daily basis, and seeing what ways the can wriggle out of paying claims, as well as some of the "terms and conditions" of cover...

For instance, recently had a D3 recovered in needing an engine. We knew it needed an engine, assessor came out, and agreed it needed an engine. Report went back to warranty company, who wanted the engine stripped to determine cause of failure.
No real surprise there, until you realise that the customer has to pay for the engine to be stripped, so the warranty company can look for an excuse to wriggle out of paying. Something not right there Confused

ATEOTD, these companies are here to make money. If they all paid out for every claim, premiums would be bloody horrific, or they would all go out of business Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #11541987th Sep 2013 9:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

This thread...

has set me on a quest...
I went to the well known comparison site yesterday & have got one quote from WD within 10 mins (....this must be an automated system that sent this) for 760 pounds
& another from GoCar 360 pounds
Has anyone tried GoCar ?

I have the full nine yards quote that has all the script...in a PDF which I have printed out to scrutinise

......both are prepared o cover my 8 year old car with over 70k miles
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #11549779th Sep 2013 7:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >