Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

First warranty quote
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: The Odds...

Disco_Mikey wrote:
......ATEOTD, these companies are here to make money. If they all paid out for every claim, premiums would be bloody horrific, or they would all go out of business

Mikey....thanks for using the voice of reason
its not he cash they raise from those who take out a warranty & dont make a claim...
but those who do the same & have a claim & dont get covered that also subsidise the system

the people who I asked said (whether this is right or wrong) said CarCare who "do" LR & Jag extended warranties are the ones least wriggly...data on this would reduce the choice maybe but allow this on here to make an informed choice

However....makes you think about the car makes that offer 5 & 7 year warranties as standard
if LR really really wanted to differentiate themselves from the pack that should offer at least a five year warranty
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #11549869th Sep 2013 7:31 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I asked SWMBO (font of all knowledge) why LR don't do a 5 year warranty like Toyboata. Without batting an eyelid she said "They'd go bust."

She might have a point. Whistle

Post #11550219th Sep 2013 8:12 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Probably not now that the... newer vehicles are better put together just look at what car

Post #11550999th Sep 2013 9:44 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

That's what they said when I bought my D3. It's always better than the previous model according to the sales dude, yeh right. Rolling Eyes

Post #11551009th Sep 2013 9:47 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

I reckon...

that if J/LR want to really substantiate the product against others..... they "up the anti" with the competition & raise the warranty stakes....from 3 to 5.

If the makers J/LR dont have faith in the product why should we as customers ?

They might have to do it anyway if the others (Mercedes, Audi, VW) do....better to lead than to follow
.....if enough people asked for this & considered others who do the change would happen.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #11551069th Sep 2013 9:57 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The only people that seem to have a problem with a claim are those that don't read the terms and conditions (well apart from me who did read them and had to have a good chat with them to overturn a refused claim, I was covered for the part, the technical question was whether the part had failed or not, an LR technician said yes, but when questioned by WD as to whether or not it would fail an MOT he said no so they declined it. That cause me confusion as I now had a technician saying something needed changed but on the other hand not, anyway I told them to sort it out between themselves as I would not be happy driving around with a part that I had been told to replace not being covered until it totally failed, anyway WD have now authorised it).

WD policies come in different variations and for different lengths of time, one month rolling, 1 yr (sometimes with the 13th mth free) 2 or 3 years, you get what you pay for so you can't moan if you go for the cheaper option and then are not covered, there are loads of threads about it so you need to make sure you understand what is what. You can choose to use a main dealer or an independent and an hourly price limit is agreed which affects the price, I went for a main dealer as they have looked after the car from new and are nearest, they also deal direct with WD and pass all info including estimates, mileage, last service details and MOT proof, get direct authorisation for work e.t.c. so nothing for me to do except pay for the work and then claim it back less my excess. Their website lists what is covered and it is very clear, a cheaper type of policy lists what is covered everything else is not, a more expensive one lists about 20 things that are not and everything else is, this is what I have, just be warned it does NOT cover corrosion, maybe worrying considering it is a LR Rolling Eyes

Post #11551159th Sep 2013 10:20 pm
Tangsoodo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've just had a quote from WD. Xcare, suspension, airbag, mot faults, dealer labour charges for £685. This seems the going rate, but got to pay 50% of parts. I'm a little confused, is this the betterment clause that people are talking about. The guy is calling back on Thursday so I could do with a bit of negotiating power

Bow down
 Mods:
DNA Remap
De-Tangoed
Clear indicators
D4 rear lights
Sat Nav with D4 surround
Flip down DVD player
Blackvue
Side steps
3rd row headphone/switches
Debadge
EGR's blanked 

Post #115547110th Sep 2013 4:05 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

yep, that is the betterment clause. the % you contribute to parts goes up the older / more miles the vehicle has done. Unless of course you can negotiate it out of the deal, in which case Bow down
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #115555010th Sep 2013 5:36 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Yep, deffo get the No Betterment in the deal. When I took out WD back in the past it cost me £50 to put in but added 1 month to the policy. Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #115555810th Sep 2013 5:45 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: The Odds...

BLFarrar wrote:
the people who I asked said (whether this is right or wrong) said CarCare who "do" LR & Jag extended warranties are the ones least wriggly...data on this would reduce the choice maybe but allow this on here to make an informed choice

CarCare are one of the best aftermarket warranties available. Have only ever has 1 claim turned down by them (and that was because I was pushing my luck Laughing )

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #115556610th Sep 2013 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Disco-Mikey

Thanks for that ...Validation of the CarCar provisions
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #115580510th Sep 2013 11:17 pm
JimmyP

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Tangsoodo wrote:
I've just had a quote from WD. Xcare, suspension, airbag, mot faults, dealer labour charges for £685. This seems the going rate, but got to pay 50% of parts. I'm a little confused, is this the betterment clause that people are talking about. The guy is calling back on Thursday so I could do with a bit of negotiating power

Bow down

What's the mileage on yours? Mine has just ticked over 97k so they removed the betterment clause for me but ticked it up to £60 a month.

Also, I asked somewhere previously in the thread if the Car Care warranties cover wear & tear - does anyone know if they do....?

Post #115599911th Sep 2013 2:09 pm
Tangsoodo

Jimmy, mine has done 95k. I'm not usually one for taking warranties/ extra insurances out but if I can get them to drop the betterment I think I will go for it.
 Mods:
DNA Remap
De-Tangoed
Clear indicators
D4 rear lights
Sat Nav with D4 surround
Flip down DVD player
Blackvue
Side steps
Debadge
EGR's blanked 

Post #115624311th Sep 2013 9:50 pm
Tangsoodo

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/145

Was having a little play on this site. Quite interesting when you search the German 4x4. Average repairs are higher and are they actually that much more reliable!
 Mods:
DNA Remap
De-Tangoed
Clear indicators
D4 rear lights
Sat Nav with D4 surround
Flip down DVD player
Blackvue
Side steps
Debadge
EGR's blanked 

Post #115626111th Sep 2013 10:13 pm
JimmyP

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Tangsoodo wrote:
Jimmy, mine has done 95k. I'm not usually one for taking warranties/ extra insurances out but if I can get them to drop the betterment I think I will go for it.

Similar miles to mine then. Let us know how you get on with dropping the betterment.

I'm the same - never had an extended warranty, only one provided with a brand new motor we bought a few years ago - but the points I mentioned earlier in the thread combined with the complexity of the D3 (compared to other mere mortal cars) swung my decision.

Post #115651012th Sep 2013 1:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >