How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 20 <123 ... 17 181920>
Shubhs486

2012 Discovery 3 5.0 V8 Graphite LE Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3
Re:Sunroof Leak

Prette wrote:
Gary_P wrote:
I'm wondering if your strimmer wire is hitting the edges of the white joining piece rather than a blockage?
Keep us informed of progress
Cheers

Thanks for the tip Gary. I sharpened the edges of the strimmer wire and voila...

After some knocking here and there... now I think there might be a kink/squeeze somewhere near the junction because despite the fact that the blockage is gone, I still cannot pass the wire through. I poured some windscreen washing liquid down the sunroof drain, it comes out slowly but does.

For now... all seems to work. Let's wait and see.
Yeah it seems like a great solution,I shall try it too if needed in future.
PS.: I also put Vaseline around the sunroof sealing rubber for an extra help.

Post #217029527th Aug 2020 3:13 pm
ashnaylor

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Replaced a perished elbow on my D4 this morning. Removing the cjb isn't as daunting as it sounds but lack of space makes it a pig of a job. Hopefully dry carpets now until it goes again, I think they put the drain in and built the car around it.

Post #217393115th Sep 2020 1:04 pm
ashnaylor

Ok so I thought everything was fine put it back together and it started first time with no faults ran it for a few minutes while I set clock etc and turned it off. went back an hour later and it won't start now, getting smart key not detected refer to handbook. Tried what it says plus disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and still same, any ideas? Going to check the plugs in case one came out whilst I was replacing the trim panels.
Panic over. The 2 bottom plugs had come adrift. I think I was so relieved to get the ones in the back I must have forgot to snap them in properly.

Last edited by ashnaylor on 15th Sep 2020 4:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #217396115th Sep 2020 3:26 pm
cestor

Israel 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Could be the connectors on the back of the cjb were not locked in place and have become disconnected. Happened to me with one of them and got numerous errors.

Post #217397815th Sep 2020 4:17 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It's a pain but I think you should check that all the plugs have gone back into the CJB fully. There have been reports of spurious errors after this job and people going back and finding a plug not fully located but generally that has happened immediately they switch on afterwards. Having said that I don't know of a specific report of smart key not found after this job, but one of the plugs must be for the ignition system.
One other thought. There was recently someone who had this issue after installing a phone charging cradle in the car. The signal interfered with the smart key. Have you got one or installed one recently?
Good luck
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #217398015th Sep 2020 4:19 pm
ashnaylor

Thanks for the quick response lads. The two bottom plugs had come adrift. couldn't have been in properly and they've dropped out when I put the trim back. All's well now until next time lol.
Those elbows are crap, I'm going to see if I can find some sort of plumbing fitting that could be adapted. Something like an elbow with a spigot to connect to the tube and a male thread that could push through the hole and be secured with a gland nut.

Post #217398315th Sep 2020 4:34 pm
Gary_P

Well done for getting it sorted.
Agree it needs to be a better quality component for it’s function and position in the build. When I did mine the tears in it seemed to indicate to me that it was likely damaged when installed or when other components were built around it. I hoping I don’t have to do that side again.
One other thing, my carpets took an age to dry out completely. It appeared there was water coming from the sponge that raises the floor level under the seat into the carpet in the footwell and that had me worried that perhaps it was coming from another area too. After a few weeks it was fine.
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #217408316th Sep 2020 9:01 am
ashnaylor

Thanks, I couldn’t have done it without help from this forum. With hindsight I wish I’d taken a couple of minutes to round off the end of the spigot that fits in the elbow, the edges seem a bit sharp which can’t help the rubber.
Top tip...wear something that covers your arm, I’ve got a right carpet burn.

Post #217458918th Sep 2020 3:28 pm
Xnescx

United Kingdom 

Good read, seen a few discos advertised with a leaking sunroof

Post #217624726th Sep 2020 7:58 pm
leroymusic00

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

discocuzzy wrote:
Your a star Gareth, mines just started to leak! Thumbs Up

Just did mine this morning - the original tube had completely perished.

Post #220473523rd Jan 2021 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leroymusic00

Gary_P wrote:
Hi cestor
Really feeling for you. Been through replacement myself but was lucky enough not to have some of your challenges. I didn't have the issues getting the CJB back up again. Wondering why your pipe is in the way. Did you replace the it?
I was recommended to use the twine and pull down solution, but I couldn't get it to work. I have small hands so was lucky enough, in the end, to be able to get them back in.
Couple of things that helped me which I'll mention just in case you haven't already tried. Leave the CJB loose when refitting the connectors, and you can cock the latches a little by pulling them slightly down before placing them in their location which makes it easier to find them to pull them down.
Good luck.
Cheers

I replaced the whole pipe earlier today. I pulled the elbow out from inside the car. I then fed a clear, 8" section of tubing back into the car via the air intake hole from outside the car. then I inserted this clear tube into the new elbow joint and pushed it through - this allowed me, from outside the car to pull the elbow joint through from the air intake - I used a little vaseline on the elbow joint. It took around 30 minutes of raw knuckles and swearing but it got done.

Post #220475023rd Jan 2021 8:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leroymusic00

Drain tube

Matt_Canada wrote:
I had exactly this problem - in heavy rain, water would come in but only when the LR3 was level rather than leaning backwards as it is on my driveway. The water got into the dash and caused all kinds of other issues which the stealer spent hours trying to misdiagnose. I wish I had seen the post before - now, I check those drain holes every so often just to make sure they are free of clag. Cheers!

I sorted and replaced my drivers side drain tube before Christmas. I thought it was still leaking but it was just so wet I had to lift the carpet and get a little drier on the case. Bone dry now Smile

Post #221118316th Feb 2021 10:20 am
Gary_P

Well done.
Yes, the carpets take quite a while to dry out. Mine took weeks and like you I thought it was still leaking. It was mostly the foam at the back of the footwell area. It's also worth emptying the cill too. Mine was full up. Couldn't work out how to empty, didn't want to take the plastic off it, so sucked it out with a straw !! Rolling with laughter Glad no-one was watching at the time.
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #221120216th Feb 2021 11:48 am
leroymusic00

Tube

Hahahaha - I did the same with a tube. Disgusting water too :-/

Post #221120816th Feb 2021 12:03 pm
Rodjules

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Another big thank you to the forum.

Came out to the car after the first bit of rain in an age to find my passenger footwell swimming, search the forum, pulled the near side vent and sure enough just a hole no drain tube. Ordered the elbow from Landrover and an 1 1/2 later all fixed. Trim out CJB out, new elbow fitted, reassembled and all good, just waiting for the carpet to dry now 🤪

Post #222953311th May 2021 1:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 18 of 20 <123 ... 17 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >