DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Flat Battery / Reconnecting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
olympicliftingpaulf

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Flat Battery / Reconnecting

Evening all, hope you are all well.

I haven't used my D4 in about a month and the battery has gone completely flat. It did some very fancy flashing of all the lights as it was doing so too!!

Any advice on starting it with jumps leads to my Freelander or is it pretty straight forwards.

Will take it for a run and hope my excuse of "shopping" works is the Staffordshire Rozzers nab me!

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers!

Paul

Post #22072201st Feb 2021 5:46 pm
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello,
Can you not charge it first rather than jumping it? That is what I would try first, as if it won't charge on a charger unlikely to do so on a run and leave you stranded on your shopping trip ;(.

If you don't have a charger, maybe start the 2nd car, then connect the jump leads and let it take a charge that way for a while before attempting to start the D4.

I would certainly get a charger if you don't have one as leaving a battery to discharge for a long period is not good for it. I plug mine into the tow socket - adapters in the shop or make your own Thumbs Up
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #22072281st Feb 2021 6:12 pm
olympicliftingpaulf

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.

It's a little strange as the battery is less than 12 months old and not a cheap one. It seems to be charging properly when I am running it regularly it's fine. I usually get 14+ volts on the charge reader but it just seems to drain pretty quickly when it is stood. I have been wondering if something is draining it.

I can get a charger and I had been considering getting one. Any recommendations or were they the links that appeared in your answer. And thanks for the advice on the adapters. I never knew they existed! I am intrigued.

But if I start it from the Freelander - have that running first and then connect the leads to the Disco battery and leave it for while......

Again, thanks for the help.

Paul

Post #22072421st Feb 2021 7:14 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

There are lots of threads on here about battery charging, for example:

https://www.disco4.com/forum/battery-charging-d4-172730.html

It does sound like you have a drain issue as a less than 12 month old battery shouldn't go flat from non-use

The tow-electrics charger adaptor is available from the forum shop:

https://fnltd.co.uk/shop/tow-electrics-cha...c-p45.html
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #22073942nd Feb 2021 11:14 am
olympicliftingpaulf

Hi again,

Yeah it does seem like something is draining it. I did get it running easily this morning by letting the Freelander charge the battery for about 25 minutes before starting it.

However, I ran it for an hour with good charge (about 14.7), left it for 2 hours when I came back and it gave me the warning again.

Guess my next question is.... how on earth do I find out what is draining it? Rolling Eyes

Thank you (both) for your help.

Post #22076052nd Feb 2021 9:43 pm
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

You'll need more than an hour to charge it

I'd get it o na decent charger and see how quickly it drains, truth is though once they've fully drained it'll never fully recover
 Mark  
Post #22076703rd Feb 2021 9:32 am
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

For a good charge, you are really looking at getting a decent battery charger and leaving it on over night (or a day works as well). Getting a trickle charger is also a good idea if you intend to leave it for long periods. The trickle charger will keep it topped up and won't damage the battery. Those are ideal to use with the tow electrics plug and can be left on for long periods. Just remember to disconnect it before you drive off! It's not impossible that your battery is faulty despite it being fairly new. If problems persist that may be one avenue to explore.

Post #22083006th Feb 2021 2:12 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Its most likely the alternator thats draining it, a common fault when the alternator gets older.
Get a decent battery charger and disconnect the main red lead from the battery and fully charge the battery, let it stand over night with cable disconnected and check the battery in the morning, if ok then its the alternator.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #22083286th Feb 2021 9:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
olympicliftingpaulf

Hi Flack,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it has been a while and my reply is late but I have a lot on at the moment trying to keep my business afloat!!

Got myself a CTEC MXS 5 charger - would you recommend using the "Recon" mode? It suggests this use for if the battery isnt been charged a lot - which whilst it is ok now, I am still only doing a journey of a couple of miles each week.

Does the Recon mode make any difference or will just charging it be sufficient enough?

Thanks for your ( and thank you to other posters) above replies. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Post #221365325th Feb 2021 1:45 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If your car has an AGM battery ( mine does, but not sure if your original or new one is in your car) then don’t bother with recon mode. I asked CTEK about using this mode on AGM batteries a couple of years ago and they basically said it makes not difference on AGM batteries.
If it is a standard battery then Recon can be used to effect, but I can’t see a 6 month old battery needing it.
Just charge it in the AGM setting (if your battery is AGM and your charger has that mode) or normal if it is a standard battery or your CTEK has nothing else. Your MSX 5 is going to need to be left on for quite a while to get it charged ( a full day and maybe overnight too).
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #221366425th Feb 2021 2:53 pm
olympicliftingpaulf

Hi Gary (and others),

So, did as Gary recommended and had the CTEK on normal charge (mine isn't AGM0 and it merrily charged for about 27 hours and went to the green stage.

Just opened the Disco to put the charger away in it, and on came the Low Battery warning.

I can tell the battery is much more charged simply by the speed the mirrors go in and out when openinf and closing and when the ignition is on, the little volt meter states 12.7 and 14. odd when it's actually running.

Do I need to do something else to let the Disco know that it is actually charged? Or is there a different underlying issue perhaps.

As ever, thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.

Paul Smile

Should probably add mine is a 2011/04 L319 (3.0 SDV6)

Last edited by olympicliftingpaulf on 3rd Mar 2021 5:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22149803rd Mar 2021 4:43 pm
qwerty

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Think you probably have the wrong battery as MY12 should be AGM!

EDIT

Just read again, my mistake, charger has no AGM setting,

Post #22149823rd Mar 2021 4:51 pm
Gary_P

A few thoughts:
1. Did you charge your battery by connecting the negative connection to the chassis and not the negative battery terminal? The car has a battery management system that and charging with the negative connection on the chassis allows the car to 'know' it has been charged.
2. Have you checked the battery voltage paying particular attention to the voltage across the terminals when the engine is running (should be 14V + as the alternator is charging). Voltage when not running should be 12+ volts.
3. Is stop/start working when you drive? This function is particularly sensitive to battery condition, although wont kick in until the engine is warm. (There are also several other reasons stop/start may not kick in by the way if the power requirements for functions in the car are greater than a certain threshold (like running aircon).
4. There have been some reports of a bad earth causing issues. Is the car difficult to start ? Might be worth checking the thick black lead the runs to your chassis.
5. Have you recently added any electrical devices (dashcam for instance), or got anything else plugged in anywhere? This may be causing a drain.#
6. I've seen reports of gateway module issues causing similar problems. Do you have a way of checking for error codes on the car (diagnostic tool?)
Just a few thoughts on what
Keep us informed of progress, good luck
Cheers
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #22150133rd Mar 2021 7:00 pm
olympicliftingpaulf

Hi,

Failed at point number one. I couldn't see a place where I could attach the negative lead that wasn't painted. I don't think there is a dedicated point is there? Presumably any bare metal (like on the fuel burning heater housing?) will work?

And thank you for the other points. It'snot stop/start and other than it now not being used very often I haven't changed anything. I will check the main negative cabling as you mention though.

I won't be using it for a few days again so presumably reconnect the charger and do what I should have done and leave it to it again?

Thanks for your time.
Cheers.

Post #22151264th Mar 2021 12:07 pm
Gary_P

Thanks for the update.
The stud I use is just in front of the main battery box inside the engine compartment on the wing. There are a couple there and mine are sprayed but the connection works fine. Your charger will not charge if the connection is not achieved.
If your battery is fully charged , whether or not you are using the car, stop/start should work (within the logic the car uses )
Let me know if you need a photo of the stud , and I'll get one.
Take care
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #22151494th Mar 2021 1:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >