Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fuel pressure issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rossi84

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3
Fuel pressure issues

Hi all, first post and should say amazing forum that has already helped me with my central locking and sunroof drains and lots of other bits. Great members and support on here.

I have an issue and I have read lots of posts with similar issues but looking for support as I can’t seem to sort this!
Had low fuel pressure issues with the car occasionally dropping to limp mode with engine fault messages. Following advice from others on the forum I have an obd11 that I bought which is great and showed up the injector pressure low, fuel pressure low errors one ending 22090 from memory.

I had 4.5 psi pressure at the schrader and not much fuel flow so dropped the tank and put a replacement low pressure pump in the tank (complete new unit with sender etc). Great news it sorted the problem (only had 5psi at the schrader valve) but car ran perfectly, (sorry new fuel filter aswell)I went out for a day off roading in it and was running great all day up until I got stuck in a boggy piece of land (full permission to use land etc). The car then idled for a while as was trying to winch out but cut out. Got winched out, there was air at the schrader valve but bled through and back up and running.. but then has started to drop into limp constantly and can’t get the car above 10mph without it cutting out and dropping into limp mode.

So dropped the tank again, all appeared fine, replaced the pump element of the in tank system again in case a faulty unit.. car ran fine on startup and appeared improved. But dropping into limp mode again. 5psi at the schrader and no air just looses power. Another brand new genuine filter on, still exactly the same and same errors coming up.
My thoughts are I’ve done something wrong but it’s all pretty straightforward so don’t think I have, or it’s a different fault.
Using the obd tool shows the car fuel pressure builds as you accelerate and then starts dropping hence then going into limp mode.. car starts fine. Really confused with this as it was running great a few days prior.. any help really appreciated.
Also if I put a gauge on the schrader valve when I Rev the car the pressure drops to 0 at high revs and wondering if this indicates a problem on the low pressure side but it’s had 2 new pumps and not even done 3 miles on the new one!
Hoping someone can help, my thoughts are is the high pressure pump playing up and needs replacing or is it an issue with something on the low pressure side as reading on here I should be getting 7psi and I’m not even on 2 new pumps..

Post #222973212th May 2021 1:27 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Are you replacing the whole pump unit with a genuine one or just replacing the fuel pump itself
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #222974512th May 2021 2:51 pm
Rossi84

Hi, I replaced the whole unit first time which resolved the issues for most of a day but then the issue got much worse.
Second time I have used the original housing where it was still working fine for most of
The time but with a new walbro pump in it.
Thanks

Post #222974912th May 2021 3:25 pm
aja4x4

If you replaced the whole unit with a geniune one it has a 2 year garantee, the seperate pumps only last a few months.

If you fitted a genuine one and the problem got worse its got to be something else thats causing your issue, dod you use a genuine filter?
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #222977112th May 2021 5:38 pm
Rossi84

Hi Andrew, I didn’t use a genuine filter and have just replaced it with a Bosch filter. I am thinking my issue is something else but not certain especially when I read on here that there should be 7psi of pressure at the valve but I haven’t ever got that. Seem to get 5 max

Post #222980512th May 2021 8:31 pm
aja4x4

You may need to check the voltage at the pump you could have a corroded connector or a faulty relay.
The other reason i ask about you fitting a genuine pump unit is it has a pressure regulator built in, if your just replacing the pump it could be the regulator at fault
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #222981412th May 2021 9:07 pm
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Do you gave a GAP IID or similar? Log the volume control valve, pressure control valve and fuel rail pressure.

It's sounding like an issue with the high pressure pump.

Post #222984913th May 2021 5:57 am
Rossi84

I’ll do this tonight as I have got a gap tool. I’ll get some measurements and post them. When I drive it with it in live view on pressure it starts building with revs then suddenly dips which is when it goes into limp mode. On another run it started building but while still accelerating starts dropping while throttle still down then again goes into limp mode. I’ll post up later after checking the values you have said. Thanks and really appreciate all the help
Last night I was checking the current drawn across the fuse for the in tank pump and was holding around 9 amps, did spike on start and lowest was 8 amps. Fuel pressure at the schrader never got above 5.5 psi though. I did think I heard the pump sound to spin faster and saw a slight spike in pressure this was all while bridging the relay.
Thanks again for all the help and hopefully will get this sorted

Post #222992813th May 2021 12:55 pm
Rossi84

Hi really appreciate the help, I’ve added the photos from the gap tool of
The sensors although one doesn’t have a reading. There as below but not sure what this shows or if normal or not! Was raving up ok while this was being done.

Post #223043716th May 2021 2:13 pm
aja4x4

Dont worry there is no reading from the pressure sensor you will find it under somthing like rail pressure
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #223044016th May 2021 2:22 pm
Rossi84

Yeah I can see the pressure starts off around 4500 then was hitting about 13000 before dropping and going into limp and was hitting 18000 early before hitting limp mode think it just hit 19000 one one try aswell. As soon as I go full throttle and it accelerates it goes into limp every time. Feels like it’s pulling fine but just constantly dropping into limp mode

Post #223046416th May 2021 3:50 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Test ideally should be done under load for this type of fault, but the fuel pressure should never drop whilst you are placing load on the engine. The VCV will initially read higher than the PCV, but as the power curve increases the PCV should catch up and eventually pass out the VCV reading. At idle, you should be seeing fuel pressure of around 23,500 kPa to 25,000 kPa (fluctuating!) and the VCV and PCV at around 20% and 14% respectively.

On hard acceleration (load) the the fuel pressure will continuously rise from 24,000k kPa to around 160,000 kPa if you keep pushing! Looking at your screen shots there seems to be nothing wrong with those values, but they should be recorded under load until the fault is triggered. In any case, you will need to eliminate any possible issue with the low pressure side. A pressure gauge on the schrader valve will quickly tell you if the hpfp is being starved, indicating either a problem with the lpfp, the filter, or both. Again, under load whilst driving if you can monitor the gauge!

Ignore the "fuel rail pressure sensor" in IID and select "fuel pressure" instead. Also, if you have a look in the Wiki/maintenance there is a diagnosis provided by Robbie which will take you through each step in the diagnostic testing process. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #223056116th May 2021 10:48 pm
Rossi84

Thanks for all your help, got this sorted was the HPFP, fitted a new low pressure pump aswell as there was brass in the tank from the pump failing, all replaced and good at the moment, really appreciate all the help.
Only problem now is I have a strange slight either burning oil or coolant smell in the cabin at times from the vents and can’t figure out where it’s coming from as can’t find any leaks!

Post #225082111th Sep 2021 9:57 pm
Luan9944

Brazil 
High pump or low pump

Hpfp or lpfp ?

Post #235598114th Dec 2023 7:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >