Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

How good are road tyres on mild off road?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

did you try playing with the terrain response settings ? let the car do the thinking !

Post #220116311th Jan 2021 5:22 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

in the OP there was mention of very cheap road tyres. That won't have helped, even with both axles driving. I'd say get a decent of ATs and then have a read up on the Terrain Response system. Also remember that low range can make a big difference just on its own.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #220116611th Jan 2021 5:28 pm
underdose

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, the tyres are generic budget road tyres. One owner and no tow bar, my logic was that it had probably not been used for towing or off road (less strain on the engine), even if I do have the cost of better tyres and a tow bar. But then it's a Land Rover so the crank shaft could fall out the exhaust or the wheels might turn square. Shocked

I did some research on the off road programs, read a few posts on here and videos. I had it in grass mode and I could feel it doing it's thing. Was very interesting and quite a strange feeling compared to the vans and trucks before.

I had gone over several mole hills so the tyres were caked instantly, I think from this and all the answers from you guys A/Ts will be suitable for what I need. I've swapped from the vans/trucks for the towing capabilities and the need to go off road, even if not extreme. Would be pointless if it's not got the right shoes one.

My mpg is currently very poor so was trying to avoid going overkill if I didn't need them.

Thank you everyone.

Post #220122111th Jan 2021 8:46 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

LRE use road tyres....you will be amazed at what a disco can do on standard tyres...

Post #220126212th Jan 2021 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

underdose wrote:

I did some research on the off road programs, read a few posts on here and videos. I had it in grass mode and I could feel it doing it's thing. Was very interesting and quite a strange feeling compared to the vans and trucks before.

I had gone over several mole hills........

Thank you everyone.

Bet you didn’t do that with the van Whistle , you tend to do it with a Disco same with pot holes Very Happy .
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220129512th Jan 2021 8:53 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

galwaygreen wrote:
LRE use road tyres....you will be amazed at what a disco can do on standard tyres...

They do but they're generally on prepared routes, not "take it as you find it" fields. Nothing like a bit of unseen boggy grass to stop the best 4x4.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #220130412th Jan 2021 9:18 am
al cope

England 

as well as soft/muddy ground, if you are in and out of a quarry, something with a tougher sidewall wouldnt go amiss so that you dont get cuts in the sidewalls from sharp stone.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #220130912th Jan 2021 9:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
underdose

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

M3DPO wrote:
underdose wrote:

I had gone over several mole hills........

Thank you everyone.

Bet you didn’t do that with the van Whistle , you tend to do it with a Disco same with pot holes Very Happy .

My disco went in for an outstanding recall yesterday (they did a free health check / I won’t go into that... 🙄 unless anyone wants to play guess the quote game). So I used my old truck for the day. Safe to say I got stuck instantly, on grassy field I hadn’t given much though to in the Land Rover. 6am and a couple buckets of stone I got out but didn’t even attempt to stop, just drove it back out. Back in the landy today and I don’t think I’ll even attempt it with the rain we’ve had. Unless the client wants to start planting crop in his sheep field. I don’t much think tyres would make a difference either... it just looks so tame and inviting. Come on summer.

Thanks Al, that’s a good point. Considering what I’m using it for and what I need it for, not to have capable tyres would be counter productive. I’d seen the LRE days, I live close to one and a friend works there, they give the impression they’re very capable. But as mentioned, real life environments are very different.

Post #220159113th Jan 2021 7:21 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Road tyres, low range and use of Terrain Response can get you through a lot of stuff:

Yes, they're RRS but it's just a short wheelbase D3 / D4 in terms of most of the running gear. Thumbs Up

Of course, doing that in a land owner's field is unlikely to get you invited back... Rolling with laughter
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #220224414th Jan 2021 8:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >