Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

How good are road tyres on mild off road?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
underdose

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
How good are road tyres on mild off road?

Hi, recently bought a d3. It currently has very cheap road tyres on. Bought the vehicle as I’m a stonemason, I need to tow a heavy trailer and quite often drive over fields to walls, in muddy stone quarries etc. I’ve done this in big vans and it’s mostly not gotten stuck. I’d like to know how good decent road tyres would be? I’d like to keep it as road biased as possible to avoid road noise, poor economy etc.

Would all weather tyres be enough? Or is the amazing 4x4 only really working if it’s got at least a/ts on.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by underdose on 11th Jan 2021 10:01 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #220094511th Jan 2021 8:53 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you can do it in a van the Disco will laugh at it with road tyres, mud and snow are the best long term option when it’s time to replace.
On LR complimentary off road days you never see a Disco with anything else but normal tyres and they are going up 1 in 5 off road hills.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220094811th Jan 2021 9:03 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Unless said fields are soft and boggy, they are big old heavy beasts and once they start to sink it doesn’t matter what tyres you’re on. Plus grass is slick as a slick thing with extra slick, not called green glass for nothing. The biggest danger here is over confidence, it a LR so it’ll go anywhere, it won’t. The LRE courses are carefully sculpted to show what the car can do, not what it can’t. Thumbs Up

Post #220095011th Jan 2021 9:11 am
philm

England 

When I had my D4 on Pirelli scorpion tyres, I took it in Quarries and across fields with a trailer without any problems.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #220095511th Jan 2021 9:18 am
underdose

M3DPO wrote:
If you can do it in a van the Disco will laugh at it with road tyres, mud and snow are the best long term option when it’s time to replace.
On LR complimentary off road days you never see a Disco with anything else but normal tyres and they are going up 1 in 5 off road hills.

Thanks guys, that’s helpful. Would the hit to fuel economy on mud tyres not outweigh the long term benefits, or is the real life effect not overly noticeable?

Thanks Phil, the Pirelli’s were what I was looking at.

Post #220096611th Jan 2021 9:37 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Unless said fields are soft and boggy, they are big old heavy beasts and once they start to sink it doesn’t matter what tyres you’re on. Plus grass is slick as a slick thing with extra slick, not called green glass for nothing. The biggest danger here is over confidence, it a LR so it’ll go anywhere, it won’t. The LRE courses are carefully sculpted to show what the car can do, not what it can’t. Thumbs Up

Like the man says “stone quarry in a VAN with a trailer on the back” my experience with vans off tarmac and they are useless without a trailer even with off road tyres, Disc with normal road tyres will eat it. Thumbs Up
Off road tyres will make little difference to economy, some can be very uncomfortable to the ears!
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220096711th Jan 2021 9:41 am
Dave T

England 

Scorpion atrs were the best all round bet I found, no noise/consumption increase but would also last a lot longer than road going scorpions
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #220096911th Jan 2021 9:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Scorpion ATRs are rarer than an honest politician and might not actually be made anymore in a Disco-friendly size.

I'd suggest either Grabber AT3 or the Scorpion AT+ but they're not pure road tyres although they are much better on road than ATs of old were. Both do increase fuel use a bit, however. But both are winter rated which is a "nice to have" for some of us. Land Rover supply vehicles on Scorpion Verde All Season which will get around quite well off road so long as one is careful.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #220097511th Jan 2021 10:05 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
The LRE courses are carefully sculpted to show what the car can do, not what it can’t. Thumbs Up

That's something that I've always thought - people go on about how the courses show you how capable the vehicles are - and they are - but the courses are scripted to show off the vehicles.

I drove around Eastnor a couple of times in my own RRS (back when they did such trips) and even then, the tracks that they use for development work are well founded, not axle deep mud. The wading trenches are likewise well founded. So there's not too much risk of getting stuck. Sure, on steep climbs you can fail the climb but not in a way that you can't safely retreat.

But having said that, it's surprising what these old barges will get though if you're careful.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #220097811th Jan 2021 10:09 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Pulling a heavy trailer across a field is asking a lot unless you’ve got tractor tread , I’ve pulled my plant trailer across a few fields with discos and defender , most ok on the flat but not good if pulling up a slight hill Thumbs Up

Trailer and digger are just under 3.5 tone
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #220099211th Jan 2021 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CongoBoy

Zimbabwe 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Dave T wrote:
Scorpion atrs were the best all round bet I found, no noise/consumption increase but would also last a lot longer than road going scorpions

I used these back in the day on my D1 when I wasn't doing as many kilometres on gravel/dirt roads but more tarseal (and they are still on the old boy 8 years later!) They were very good.
I am currently using BFG ATs on both my D3s. The only reason I bought them here in the UK were that they were on a very good price. I don't seem to have a probelm with the noise but then I am a bit deaf after 15 years in the military!!
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey (UK)
2008 D3 HSE Izmir Blue- South African Spec. (Zimbabwe)
2005 FFRR SC V8- Java Black
1995 D1 300 Tdi Blue - (Sourced from the UK, shipped to Namibia, driven by me to RD Congo, then Zambia, now retired in Zimbabwe) 

Post #220101411th Jan 2021 11:33 am
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Why not put some all terrains on as a balance between on and off road, just to give you a slight edge and a bit more confidence. But not too much confidence as that's when you'll get stuck! Laughing

I'm running Avon AX7/ Cooper Discoverer ATT's (they're the same identical tyre, just branded differently) I've not noticed any worsening of the fuel economy, no increased road noise and it'll go over fields easily enough. Obviously they ain't mud pluggers so have limits, but they are a bit better than road tyres, off road.

Anyway, it'll be much more fun getting stuck in a disco than in a van! Rolling with laughter

Post #220101511th Jan 2021 11:42 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Not for some. Whistle Whistle

Post #220101911th Jan 2021 11:47 am
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Rolling with laughter Ah yes, I read that yesterday. Laughing

Post #220102211th Jan 2021 11:49 am
underdose

So answered my own question today. Was working in a field, one my rwd truck was fine in, and was losing lots of traction. Not enough to panic but enough to know I’d like the assurance of more capable tyres. Especially with a trailer. I think ATs are a good compromise. My fuel economy seems to be particularly poor at the moment, so didn’t want to overkill.

Post #220114411th Jan 2021 5:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >