DISCO4.COM > Australia & New Zealand

Gurgling Brake noise D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
George II

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Gurgling Brake noise D3

Hi,
In the last month or so have started noticing a gurgling sound from behind the dash. At first I thought it was just the A/C or heater , but then I noticed it went away when I took my foot off the brake. So having Googled Gurgle noise in D3 , it brought me to the numerous posts on here from a few years ago about a Brake Recall P017 . This was one of the symptoms noted .
So thinking this was the answer I headed off to the Dealer to ask if the recall had been done.
The answer is no it didn't get done - but they say there is nothing outstanding on my vehicle (ie it doesn't need doing ) Try telling that to the Gurgle under the bonnet !
Having read a few more posts I signed up onto the Topix site & checked the VIN - again it says there is nothing outstanding although my 07 D3 falls into the VIN number range for the recall .
so how does this work - why do some vehicles need the recall & others not ? And now that I am having the problems described in the recall (2 months after the extended warrantee has run out), can I still hammer the case that they fix it ?
When I asked them about the HP Fuel pump recall a while back they came back with the same answer , that my vehicle didn't apply (again it was in the VIN range) -
Just wonder if my vehicle actually exists in their system ??

Any thoughts please - Anyone else had the problem manifest after 6 years . Anyone else had then say it doesn't apply to their vehicle when its within the range & is the right eng config ??

I am noticing the brakes doing funny things like the ABS coming on when slowly stopping on a slope and of course I am just in the process of having my daughter on L plates and learning in this vehicle - don't really want the brakes packing up on her!!

Will be back to the Dealer tomorrow to see if they have an answer - as I left them with a copy of the recall notice I printed off this site & he was going to check up on it again , didn't get back to me though!

Thoughts & suggestions welcome.
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #113803630th Jul 2013 2:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

they extended the vin range for all vehicles. You def sound as thouigh you have the problem. you could pop the pipe off yoiurself and check for any oil in there and in the booster. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #113803930th Jul 2013 2:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It was a safety recall, ring LR customer care and tell them that if the breaks fail they will be responsible. Idea
If your vin is in the range of the recalls below they have no excuse.
If it has not got the extra pipes it needs to be done.
If you have oil in the intercooler the recall should have been done.
Get it fixed asap.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/968091

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/997270
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #113826830th Jul 2013 11:03 pm
George II

Checked under the bonnet & I do have the additional pipework that was supposedly part of the Recall like this pic .
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...20work.JPG
I just find it hard to imagine why they put out recalls for a whole band of vehicles & then say that certain ones within the range don't need it? strange.

I opened up the quick connection on the vacuum line & there was a very small amount of black when I put a bit of white paper under it , certainly not dripping oil .

Well I will head off to the dealer again now & see what they have to say.

regardless of recalls - the vehicle has the problem of Gurgling/bubbling noise behind dash when the brake is on & brake is softish . So want to get it fixed before it develops into a bigger problem.

Thanks so for the info.
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #113827131st Jul 2013 1:22 am
caverD3

There have been some that have had oil in the servo when mod is done and they have not checked before changing the pipework.
Same applies; LR need to fix, there should be no oil in the vac system.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #113827231st Jul 2013 1:42 am
George II

thanks for the support - have got it booked in for Friday - they haven't had a reply from LR Aust yet , or maybe they don't want to call them until they have looked ? (terrible being cynical) .
At least there is a lot of material on this site to back me up - though hope it doesn't come to a fight .
might be a sign I am starting to lose confidence in the D3 as I called in to find out the pricing on a D4 . Wow they know how to slog you . any idea if the extra30kW of power in the SD is worth $10000 ?
Better Stop dreaming and get to the bottom of my current problem.
Will keep you posted.
Post #113831931st Jul 2013 7:35 am
caverD3

Good luck, hope they fix. In the meantime be careful as you will have to push harder to brake'

PS SD has different specs from poverty spec as well as engine.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #113832431st Jul 2013 7:48 am
George II

Just and update on the gurgling brakes - Yep they found oil in the brake booster . How unusual !! So had a new booster ordered - Then of course started the question of who was to pay - The service guys put in a request for a "goodwill fix" to LR - had to wait heaps of time for the reply & eventually they wanted photos of the booster & serial numbers etc (still trying to worm out of paying for it ).
But I will never know the end story - as I had lost confidence with this vehicle (I also had a long outstanding high pitched noise like a "cricket" that was progressively getting worse & they couldn't find any way to fix) .
So the long and the short of it is I traded it in on a new D4 SDV6 HSE which they had just got in as a Demo (1000km on clock). It was one of the vehicles LR lent to the British Lions Rugby team when they were over.
So spent a hectic few days removing all my accessories out of the D3 ( UHF, Spotlights, Duel battery system, Roof racks, Winch, Mitchell tow hitch, compressor, + tools shackles, recovery gear etc etc. ) Interestingly I removed 145kg of gear out of the vehicle . Left the ARB bulbar on & the rhino rack tracks.
So now driving a nice new vehicle with nothing in it . Gotta go & start filling it up !!
After my last experience I will definitely be getting another extended warrantee for this one. The last D3 had between 10 and $15000 of work on it during the extended period!
Lets hope this is an Issue free D4.
Thanks
Post #114475817th Aug 2013 1:50 am
caverD3

So not poverty spec. Whistle Thumbs Up
You should find the D4 more reliable, they seem to have improved from early D3s.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #114476017th Aug 2013 4:35 am
COMOTU

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

George II what was the end result with the dealer? did they paid for it? I am having the same issue now... LR reckons that the repair was completed a few year ago, but the issue is reoccurring on my LR3.

Post #156003912th Nov 2015 2:53 am
caverD3

It was a safety recall.
They must do it again if it has failed.
Stick to your guns.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #156004212th Nov 2015 4:02 am
Rand-lover

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Just to let everyone know, the recall pipe check valve/s can fail, I heard mine gurgling and caught it early, so only had to have the pipes and booster replaced not the master cylinder. Perhaps there should be a recall for the recall?

Post #18975454th Jan 2018 7:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >