Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Hanbrake Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 18 123 ... 161718>
Fridgemagnet

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Hanbrake Failure

Just a report really as it's being fixed under warranty, but my handbrake has failed for the second time in 2 years. I use mine for towing for my business and therefore use the handbrake a lot - too much apparently!

It begins with a horrendous squealing noise when the handbrake is applied and usually in low ratio as opposed to high. This goes on for a couple of weeks and then the whole lot fails with much sounding of warnings and lighting of dash warnings - pain in the derrier!
 To all environmentalists - the day they make SMART car which will tow a 2 tonne fridge across a field, I will buy one.  
Post #46886318th May 2009 4:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 

Very common issue Sad

(Oh and this thread needs moving as it's in the D4 section!!)
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #46886718th May 2009 4:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fridgemagnet

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ooops -I'm obviously inept - how do I move it?
 To all environmentalists - the day they make SMART car which will tow a 2 tonne fridge across a field, I will buy one.  
Post #46887018th May 2009 4:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Done Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #46887118th May 2009 4:17 pm
Rhys9317

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
EPB

Hello all,

I know that it has been talked a lot on the site, but my EPB has gone on my Dec 05 Disco TDV6. The problem was initially down to a wiring harness - That will be £225 please Sir. Telephone call - That Didn't do it Sir, it must be the "Actuator" (anything like the terminator ?) Total bill £533.13 I know it's a decent bit of kit this Disco, but that seems rather excessive for what at the end of the day is a handbrake ??

Does anyone out therre know of any recall or improvement to the EPB over the last few years. By the way, the cars only done 36k.

Thanks

Post #4789749th Jun 2009 8:22 pm
Paganuk

United Kingdom 

mines just failed with flashing red light and error on screen in dash epb falure and no handbrake but it work as emergency brake when moving just not for parking

second time in six months Evil or Very Mad Sad Big Cry

Post #4789869th Jun 2009 8:37 pm
DiscoStu

England 
Re: EPB

Rhys9317 wrote:
Does anyone out therre know of any recall or improvement to the EPB over the last few years. By the way, the cars only done 36k.

No, there isn't. Best you can do is get someone cheap but reliable/knows what he's doing to look at it for you (check out forum member 10forCash). I'm betting it could have been sorted for less than half that price. They're not called stealers for nothing Evil or Very Mad
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #4789969th Jun 2009 8:44 pm
Paul Lisseter

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Handbrake Failure

Just wondering how you get a fix on this under warranty. I have extended warranty on my D3. Handbrake failed, locked on, at traffic lights in Glasgow after same horrible noise, and couldn't get it released. Called assist who were out quickly but had got it free in meantime. Assist engineer advised it was likely to be actuator so to go to local dealer and have it sortd out befor failed again.

Went to local dealer who told me it was premature failure, not covered under warranty and needed new rear discs and shoes. I complained including to LAndrover Customer services ( only 6,000 miles since last ervice when disc pads replaced and no problem reported) wh promised to call me back. HAd work completed by dealer, found out that firstly actuator etc was not touched just new shoes and discs and also worked worse than before. Now when handbrake applied and foot taken off brake it rolls forward 10 or 12 feet as brake comes on slowly.

Have called dealer twice nad been promised cll back. NO one called back from LR customer services or dealer. Seems very poor and seems unreasonable to have spent 2.5 pence per mile on brake repairs in total on a vehicle that does mainly long runs and motorways or am i expecting too much?

Post #48630824th Jun 2009 12:32 pm
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I just had the EPB failure. Jammed on, squealing, all the flashing lights etc. Big Cry
Booked into dealer on Monday. Got car back on Tuesday afternoon.
They replaced actuator springs & shoes. They also replaced driver’s seat base, [without any complaint about seat from me] Mr. Green What a difference on new seat. Thumbs Up
They Did a safety check, all fluids, tyres, lights.
Total cost to me £ 19.99 for loan car insurance. I think they did me good.
Dealer = Pentlands Edinburgh.

Rab
 B-A-S Remap Interface giving me control over my remap  
Post #48651224th Jun 2009 7:13 pm
NJF

TFC sorted mine. Great job, no nonsense. Thumbs Up

Post #48652524th Jun 2009 7:44 pm
daverb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
I WISH IT WAS MY HANDBRAKE THAT FAILED

Big Cry I have owned my disco 3 for 2 weeks, today whilst driving at 60mph i put my foot on the brake and found that it was not slowing the car. cant spell what I said, but after a quick trip to stratstone newcastle the fault was diagnosed as a failure of an internal seal on the servo which allowed oil into the brake fluid pipes!!!!!

To say I was angry was an understatement, has anyone else heard of this fault, cant seem to find it mentioned anywhere. it seems quite a major safety critical failure that bothers me a bit.

To be fair, stratstone are dealing with the problem quite well and are looking after me, no supply of spare underwear but something just as good!

Post #4909413rd Jul 2009 9:44 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Well known problem http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic34413.h...rake+servo Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #4909503rd Jul 2009 9:51 pm
bobic

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have never had a problem with the handbrake until I loaned the D3 to one of the lads I work with. He had it for just one day and now the auto-release function doesn't work. Can this be fixed under warrenty, D3 is just over a year old with 50K. Putting the hand brake on/off manually works fine

Post #49413211th Jul 2009 8:18 am
mick savage

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: I WISH IT WAS MY HANDBRAKE THAT FAILED

Mine have gone 6 times, Landrover uk and Stratstone landrover Stoke say there is no problem
2008 disco 3 whot A joke

Post #54292230th Oct 2009 8:58 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

LR don't give a Censored , to them it's just a service or user issue, not a design fault. We've been banging on about the pigging EPB for years on this forum and they have done NOTHING! One of the reasons the present 2 LRs in our family could be the last. That and crap overall quality for a so called premium car. Considering I've been a faithful LR customer for 23 years and have driven them for almost 30 years that is sad but a manufacturer is only as good as his customer's last experience!

Rant over, honest. Whistle

Post #54293030th Oct 2009 9:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 18 123 ... 161718>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >