Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Hello and a quick question regarding extended warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gurmot

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Hello and a quick question regarding extended warranty

Hello and apologies for a quick question - I have said a formal hello in the welcome section Thumbs Up

I'm collecting my D4 from a LR dealer today. 2010 XS auto with 30k miles and 1 year warranty.

My question is - should I go for an extended warranty from the dealer taking it to two years? I have been quoted a further £850 approx but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or good price.

Any experienced views very much welcome Very Happy

Simon

Post #108054930th Mar 2013 11:46 am
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Its the standard price for a Landrover Approved warrenty. I have extended my LA warranty again this year making it 3 yrs in total and found in well worth the money. There are other warranties out there but you may have to put the cash up first and then claim back though some say it does not take long.

Post #108055930th Mar 2013 12:03 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

As Sean says, there are other policies out there (some with better cover) but you have to pay & claim rather than all settled directly. You have to decide whether convenience is better than cover, only way you can do that is compare the policy T&Cs to see what is and (more importantly) what isn't. Lots of experience in the Fin & Ins section, but remember one person's bad experiences doesn't always mean that's universal (same with good experiences). Pays yer money & takes yer choice. Thumbs Up

Post #108056030th Mar 2013 12:21 pm
100wheeler

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Hi,

I've also just become a D4 owner (Love it!). Car has 2 months of original manuf warranty on it and then I can extend or go my own way. I like the idea of the LR warranty but at £850 or so per year that is serious cash. For those that think it is good value, I assume the calculation is that the car is going to cost that type of money per year in repairs over and above the already high servicing costs.

I'd be really interested to know if I am on the right tack here. Is people's general experience that a 3 year old D4 is likely to experience repair bills of this size?

Even though my car is nearly 3 years old it has only covered 20k miles so must have done lots of shorter journeys (not that clever I know) but how likely is it that major things will go wrong?

I probably will opt for the warranty in the end because if I don't do it at the end of the first warranty it's probably more difficult to bolt on. I normally do all servicing/maintenance on cars myself so part of me thinks 'just take a punt' but the trouble is that the D4 complexity scares me Rolling Eyes !

What should I do?

Cheers,

Paul

Post #108060230th Mar 2013 2:43 pm
Garym2000

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've just extended my landrover warranty again. This will take it to past its fifth birthday. Last year (which was my first year of ownership) I estimate if I had not had the warranty the work it needed would have been in excess of 4k.
 Club N.E.R.D's
Narpy Grill Mod
De-tangoed lights
Club GG AT's
Club LED Interior and Sidelights
Club Reverse Camera & RR mode sat nav & fold down DVD 

Post #108060630th Mar 2013 2:57 pm
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I extended the L/R warranty for first year then went else where (personal choice) plus they were only offering the lower of the two warranties due to age and milage. First year was good as I had L/R assist out a couple of times and the guys sorted it out there and then so no need to go to dealers.

Took after market warranty out after that one expired and just renewed it for third year, first two years paid £1200 ish but claimed £3000+ back, this year paid same premium as last so will have to wait and see if anything happens but for me it has been worth it, others on here say put the money in a pot and save it then if something goes wrong you have cash to fix it, like they say pays yet money takes yer chance. Thumbs Up
 Goodyear Duratracs
Pirelli ATR gone
GG AT Gone
RLD Spare wheel protector
Leeds - London weekly return
Club ctek mxs10
Yorkshire 4x4 Response 

Post #108066630th Mar 2013 6:33 pm
100wheeler

Garym2000 & ebygum32,

Thanks for the replies. I have to say that these numbers scare me! Crying or Very sad

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of repairs have you been having that ended up costing £3k or £4k per year.

Understand if you don't want to give details but it would really help me to decide whether I should extend or not.

Thanks again,

Paul

Post #108070930th Mar 2013 8:04 pm
Garym2000

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My list (and this was on a 3 year old fully landrover serviced vehicle from a landrover dealership) :

EGR valve
Collapsed front wheel bearing
EPB jammed on at 70mph causing damage to disks and pads (pads and disks replaced all round)
Gearbox oil leak
XY sensor replaced in gearbox which didnt fix fault so new clutch an flywheel fitted
Engine system fault requiring some kind of software update
Replacement brake caliper

I'm sure there was a couple of other things can't recall now. To be fair it's been fine since January !
 Club N.E.R.D's
Narpy Grill Mod
De-tangoed lights
Club GG AT's
Club LED Interior and Sidelights
Club Reverse Camera & RR mode sat nav & fold down DVD 

Post #108073130th Mar 2013 8:53 pm
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

upper tailgate latch £120
New Torque Convertor £3000
Apparantly i could have claimed on front wheel bearing and lower front arms but didnt realise Big Cry

I have also had all the brake pipes renewed under L/R warranty and a new battery that was within the first six months so didnt count them.

Thing is i need my vehicle and its in daily use so i cannot afford for it to be off the road, so i look at it like this yes i could put the premium away for when or if something goes wrong but the first year i would have been incredit, the second year minus £2400. if the TC had not gone then i would be out of pocket.

When you buy one of these they are not cheap to run others will vouche for that too Rolling with laughter but i would not be without it for all its troubles.

Lots of people on here talk about the + & - of warranty but at the end of the day its your choice.

Little tip if you go online to Warranty Direct they will give you a rather large quote wait a few days and you might get a call Whistle see DSLs tips for getting the best out of warranty quotes Thumbs Up
 Goodyear Duratracs
Pirelli ATR gone
GG AT Gone
RLD Spare wheel protector
Leeds - London weekly return
Club ctek mxs10
Yorkshire 4x4 Response 

Post #108075630th Mar 2013 9:45 pm
100wheeler

Chaps,

Thank you both for your detailed responses. I guess ultimately there is no 'right' answer to this one.... I may take the warranty for the first year until I get to know whether I've got a good D4 or not!

Thanks again,

Paul

Post #108082630th Mar 2013 10:43 pm
100wheeler

Chaps,

Thank you both for your detailed responses. I guess ultimately there is no 'right' answer to this one.... I may take the warranty for the first year until I get to know whether I've got a good D4 or not!

Thanks again,

Paul

Post #108082730th Mar 2013 10:43 pm
BobG

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I didn't go down the warranty route with MY07 XS, as I didn't think as having got to 70000 relatively trouble free-EGR valves at 60000 I had my turbo go at 80000 which cost £2400 all in(I did get the brakes done all round and the timing belts replaced at the same time though)) only to have my cambelt tensioner break at 90000. I had the engine rebuilt at acost of £4000 which was a good deal.Now sold and I run a Skoda Superb 4x4 V6. With a warranty! If do D3 or D4 ever again it will be with a warranty.

Post #108084530th Mar 2013 11:05 pm
Gurmot

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks very much for the responses to my original post. I have now purchased the vehicle (2010 XS auto 27k mies) and it comes with a 12 month dealer warranty. I asked the salesman for his opinion and he suggested I wait until close o the end the current warranty enforce deciding. Good advice which I shall take, although I am starting to see why people take out these policies in the first place.

Fingers crossed for a coupe years of trouble free motoring.......... Whistle

Post #108087430th Mar 2013 11:42 pm
Mee4

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

have taken out warranty for my D3, but one thing to watch out for is the servicing intervals, you have to have it serviced on time and in line with the reccomendations, I had my D3 serviced at 58.5K for the 60K service and 75.2k for the 75K service but the warranty company would not accept that it had been regularly serviced in line with the recomendations, as it was a length of 16.7k between services even though it has been serviced at 60k and 75k, so I will have to make sure my next service does not exceed 15K in mileage

Post #10971891st May 2013 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >