DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

HPFP issues....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
IanMarsh

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
HPFP issues....

Happy Monday everyone!
On Friday I was on my commute home with the cruise set at 60 and I pulled out to pass a lorry and put my foot down a bit to get past and the old girl went into limo mode. Thankfully there was a layby about half a mile ahead that I pulled into. I immediately plugged in the GAPIID and got a "P2290 injector control pressure too low" code.
The other thing I immediately noticed was a noise which sounded exactly like a power steering pump on the way out. A whine that went up and down exactly with the revs. This was definitely not there when I started the car at the beginning of the drive. I cleared the fault and continued home, the car drove fine unless you used more than about 3/4 throttle at which point it went into limp mode. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and wondering if I'm correct in thinking that the hpfp is knackered. The car has 130,000 and it's the original pump. I will check the LPFP tonight with the useful guide on here to make sure that's all ok. If it is the HPFP would I be risking knackering the injectors by continuing driving it? Any comments and feedback would be much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Post #222681426th Apr 2021 8:53 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The first easy, cheap and effective fix attempt, is to change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 years.

I assume yours is a 2005 from your profile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333528825187?ep...Sw~KxeV7yl

Post #222682226th Apr 2021 9:16 am
IanMarsh

Thanks Pete, I'll check this out. I'm pretty sure it is a fairly new filter but will double check. Yes it is a 2005.

Post #222682626th Apr 2021 9:57 am
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

If the fault is reproducible under load then it's going to be a lot easier to diagnose, whereas mine wasn't load related and therefore a bit trickier. As already mentioned, start with the filter and LPFP.

Since you have a Gap, if you can reproduce the fault watch the volume control valve, pressure control valve and fuel rail pressure.

Start a log just before you can reproduce the fault, reproduce it then stop and save the log. Just prior to the fault you should see either the VCV or PCV try to open further and the rail pressure not increasing. When mine went it was the PCV sticking and I found if I watched the graph when I saw the PCV spike I had about a second and a half to get off the throttle or it'd fault. Most times I could get back on the throttle and it'd be ok.

When it did fault, I had about 2 seconds after the "ding" from the dash to get off the throttle, key off, key on and back on the throttle without faulting the rest of the car. So I could do a rolling re-start without tripping the suspension, special modes or brake faults.

My fault was triggered by a small increase in throttle under part load, something like steady on a flat road, and then a very small incline. The cruise would up the throttle request and the valve would stick. If I let the throttle up when I saw it faulting then mashed it quickly it'd almost always get past the sticky point.

The GAP is a great diagnostic tool for reviewing logs. If only they'd fix the bug with Y axis scaling it'd almost be perfect.

If you have a look at the PCV trace you can see it spikes and sits ~50% before the fault happens.

Click image to enlarge

Post #222686126th Apr 2021 1:12 pm
IanMarsh

An update on this! I changed the filter and this made no difference, infact it got slightly worse and the noise was still there. I checked the how many amps the LPFP was pulling and it was reading 1.8 and was guessing something was wrong with that. Anyway, the next morning I went out to take another look at the car and noticed it was very slow to turn over and when it did start it came up with a suspension fault and the compressor would not kick in. So checked the volts at the battery and it was 10V... The alternator was kaput. So got a new alternator and put that in with help from some of the very helpful guides on here and all is well again! I guess with the low voltage the LPFP wasn't supplying enough fuel to the HPFP under load. Little tip for getting the viscous fan off, heat the nut up with a blow torch for 30 secs, put the spanner on and hit the end of the spanner with a hammer. Came straight off.

Post #22277601st May 2021 4:23 pm
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like a brilliant result. Fingers crossed it was just the Alternator.

Post #22279433rd May 2021 1:08 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

IanMarsh wrote:
An update on this! I changed the filter and this made no difference, infact it got slightly worse and the noise was still there. I checked the how many amps the LPFP was pulling and it was reading 1.8 and was guessing something was wrong with that. Anyway, the next morning I went out to take another look at the car and noticed it was very slow to turn over and when it did start it came up with a suspension fault and the compressor would not kick in. So checked the volts at the battery and it was 10V... The alternator was kaput. So got a new alternator and put that in with help from some of the very helpful guides on here and all is well again! I guess with the low voltage the LPFP wasn't supplying enough fuel to the HPFP under load. Little tip for getting the viscous fan off, heat the nut up with a blow torch for 30 secs, put the spanner on and hit the end of the spanner with a hammer. Came straight off.

That can be a tricky one to diagnose especially if the alternator fault is not constant, and can lead you down all sorts of dark places. So well done for spotting the low voltage!

No need to heat the viscous fan nut, just put the spanner or an adjustable wrench on it and shock it open with one or two hammer blows from a decent weight hammer. Thumbs Up

Just be careful you don't hit the fan blades or the plenum chamber, and make sure you tighten it again, or it will fly off when the fan clutch disengages! Laughing
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22280323rd May 2021 2:03 pm
IanMarsh

"No need to heat the viscous fan nut, just put the spanner or an adjustable wrench on it and shock it open with one or two hammer blows from a decent weight hammer. Thumbs Up"

I did try both of these methods several times before resorting to heat. The SHMBO's little chef's torch worked perfect Laughing .

Post #22281143rd May 2021 8:10 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

No more Crème Brûlèe though Laughing
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22281183rd May 2021 8:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >