Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Should I inform insurance company after no fault accident?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

alltnaha wrote:
Quote:
However, you do have to inform your insurer if you've been in an accident. You should send your insurer a letter telling them what's happened.

But make it crystal clear that its for ‘information only’ and that you don’t wish to make a claim. This should ensure your insurer doesn’t settle with the other party's insurer] without your knowledge.

Exactly. This is what I did and it worked in the sense that - due to me being insistent I was not making a claim - I had no premium increase.

All depends on how the insurance company words the question.

If they ask about "Accidents, claims and convictions", it will affect your premium. If they only aska bout "Claims" then it won't.

FWIW, my first accident was about 4 months after passing my test. Ran into the back of a Volvo estate with a Clio.

I had a silly high excess at the time, and the Volvo driver was happy to have the car repaired, and I would pay for said repairs. I was lucky in that it only needed the bumper repainted, but I was able to do that, and fix my Clio for around a 1/4 of my excess...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #12114754th Jan 2014 9:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nestu

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Not really on topic but was interested in Bobs quoting the Regs...

In West Yorkshire a recovery wagon nearly rammed my wife off the road..took off the nearside mirror...the driver failed to stop....she pursued him for a few miles flashing lights and sounding horn....I rang 101 and the call handler said she was to stop following the driver and report it at a police station....when we reported it the Officer said it was a 'road traffic accident not a crime' so there was nothing they could do!!! Bless them!!!

Post #12114934th Jan 2014 11:03 am
Trigger

Thumbs Up

Last edited by Trigger on 6th Feb 2014 10:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #12114984th Jan 2014 11:18 am
alltnaha

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Quote:
"so who sold your details..."

Usually it is your insurance company due to the referral fees they get from the lawyers, claims management companies etc. They then blame the recent premium increases on ...aggressive claims pushed by the claims management companies......

One judge calls it " the personal injury circus " but I think merry go round is possibly more accurate.

Post #12115074th Jan 2014 11:46 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

surely that would go against data protection act, selling or providing such details without your consent??

I'm in the same position with our 19yrs old, we managed to source a KA (in another thread) for her and due to the maniac Czech driving skills I moved one of the two Blackvue camera's into it.

@Character, don't you run a Blackvue or other car camera, wouldn't that help with proof, also on that type of underhand treatment isn't that insurance fraud and police be involved

edit: If it's your own insurance company passing/selling on the information to claim management companies, surely it's the insurance that is claiming against the other party why pass it on (and later claim premiums have gone up due to claim management companies try for large figure settlements)
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #12115084th Jan 2014 11:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alltnaha

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Quote:
surely that would go against data protection act, selling or providing such details without your consent??

Yes - but as I mentioned above the key as ever is what does your contract with your insurers say ?

That is why we can recite all the personal anecdotes we like as to how whether and why report a no fault accident but only the contract matters .

And most insurance contracts will have some form of clause allowing them to use your personal details for claims and investigation etc which amounts to consent under the DPA.

Post #12115304th Jan 2014 12:25 pm
nickverwood

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well I bit the bullet and called my insurer to let them know - but made it very clear that I was not making a claim. Fortunately the other driver has admitted fault this morning and her insurer has contacted me to confirm this and to get me to go through them to settle.

Took car to local dealer network body shop to assess damage this morning. Fortunately nothing more than rear bumper and exhaust as far as they can see. I have asked them to do a more thorough check when they have the bumper off to do the work though.

The bad news is that as I was driving to the body shop this morning I had to slow down for standing water across the road and some other ****** sped round the corner behind me, skidded on the wet leaves and went straight into the back of me!! You couldn't make it up could you... No (more) damage to me but her Laguna has a dead front end. Thank goodness for that towing point.

Just dreading the third now...(And of course calling the insurer AGAIN! Trouble is they'll start to think it's me.)

Post #12116104th Jan 2014 3:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >