Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

I said it would never go Laning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
I said it would never go Laning

We said all along we was not going to take the new D3 laning but on Bank Holiday weekend in Newbury we went laning with a group of friends we took both Discovery’s and used the 300 TDi all weekend in some very good lanes but very tight and lots of scratches ensued. The weekend became extended and we stayed a week. On the following weekend we decided to go and explore Salisbury Plain as I knew there was very few trees and the lanes were wide and open I decided to take the D3 (SWMBO said yes as well), the following pictures are all taken on the Plain and on Byways which are predominately used for tank training hence the condition and large amounts of mud and water.

This was a small Byway just off the main track nice little puddles

The Defender that went before me had mud tyres and it was spinning its wheels I really thought I would need towing out but traction control was superb, the hole to the left of this one as we look at it was marked not for civilian use and was deep enough to lose the D3 in.

Traction control in full operation boy what a tool

Nice little water/mud hole gentle entrance and lovely bow wave text book style

OOOPPPSSS must check depth all the way through the hole before entering, although the defender before me did not have this effect we all think it may have something to do with the D3 solid front end.

All I can say is that the D3 was superb on those lanes and was a very comfortable ride and made a long hard day easy.

Peter

Post #446611th Jun 2005 10:01 am
Biggles

Caption For Above

Thats right son there is a Disco 3 in there somewhere Very Happy Very Happy

Post #446911th Jun 2005 11:22 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've been planning a trip to Salisbury Plain at some point as (as you said) it should be relatively scratch free fun. After seeing you photos looks like I'd better do it sooner rather than later

Anyone up for a D3 gathering down there?
 The End  
Post #447311th Jun 2005 12:00 pm
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Sound like a great idea!
Nick
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #447411th Jun 2005 12:27 pm
discocam

England 

sounds brill to me Laughing Laughing Laughing
 disco1 and disco3 who could ask for more?
ONE LIFE LIVE IT 

Post #447611th Jun 2005 4:34 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Can I bring my 90?

Martin

Post #447711th Jun 2005 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Meant to say - great pics scorpio, what did everyone else make of it?

Martin

Post #447811th Jun 2005 6:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yup, absolutely, we can send you in to depth test the 'puddles' first Wink Twisted Evil

If it's ready to go and my PBC team mate it up for it might bring the 109 as well for some paddling. That's got holes in the floor and even if it didn't I have doubts about how water tight the doors are Very Happy
 The End  
Post #447911th Jun 2005 6:02 pm
Pelyma

England 

It looks great, I'd be up for it.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #448011th Jun 2005 6:37 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Great Idea... looks massive fun and not damaging.

Would love to take photos of other DISCO3's in the rough as this is not easy to do when your driving yourself Wink

-s

Post #448512th Jun 2005 8:59 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Not sure about the "non damaging" quality of that type of offroading. The water that you see the D3 driving through is a rich mix of water, soil, sand and probably a few other assorted goodies. That mix liberally coates every nook and crany in the underside of the vehicle and is effectively pressure fed into many moving parts. These include (amongst others) the braking system, the suspension system, the wheel bearings, the CV joints on the transmission, the belts & pulleys and the radiator & intercooler fins. The water then dries out but the soil / sand residue can remain and no amount of jet washing will ever fully remove it. The result is that every moving part is coated in a very effective grinding paste and so wears out quicker and the efficency of several systems can be dangerously impaired.

I don't know where all the various breathers are on the D3 (inc. the axles, the bell housing and the front casing) but I bet many are well below the water level shown in these pictures. We all know where the engine air intake is (drivers side wing) and even that is below the apparent levels (certainly splash / surge level) achieved in that last picture. Water intake there risks major and hugely expensive engine damage (unlike air, water cannot be compressed so if it gets into the cylinders the resulting pressure can result in broken piston, casing, crank or all 3 !). And this is not to mention the shockingly poor insulation on the wiring / electrical components that appear to be common to many D3's.

Hey I have just read what I have written and what a sad, preaching, holier than thou git I might sound. Sorry for that, I love offroading and do it regularly in the D3. But I wouldn't take her through that deep muddy water. The possible "unseen" damage would be far more expensive to fix than a dented or scratched panel. The "best" offroading in a D3 is the type that uses its brilliant traction, its fabulous articulation and its unbeatable gradient swallowing skills. Use those attributes to keep out of the deep muddy water and your precious D3 will look and feel like new for many years to come.

You should see my Defender, which looks like it has lost many battles with rocks & trees but the worst bit is the regular bills I have for replacing wheel bearings, CV joints and bushes. And the chassis and cross members looks like they are 28 years old rather than 8 years old, with several major welds already in situ.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #448612th Jun 2005 6:04 pm
BN

England 

Smarticus, your words are very true Sad . I can show a few bills for water, sand and other nasties that demolish even the old faithfull Landy 110's and their bits, even though they are fully prepared. Brakes, bearing, CV's, and it goes on. Its amazing where sand can get, remember the beach Shocked

Take a look at my gallery (and my picture to the left of this) and we do it every day with fully prepared vehicles. The old Disco died shortly afterwards Crying or Very sad

The D3 is best left to off roading as you mention on gradients and not grassy ones guys, tyres (unless really chunky ones) don't take too kindly to grass, especially wet even with the excellent traction control etc on the D3. Water, well you have heard my comments on water and wires.

I too feel a bit sad when I read what Smarticus and I have written Big Cry but be careful, Land Rover Assist may not be able to help with a great chunk of dried sand clogging up your intercooler Idea

Post #448912th Jun 2005 8:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >