Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Insurance through Equity Red Star?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
riddicks

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Insurance through Equity Red Star?

Just got my renewal quote back from Adrian Flux for £518 with £450 Excess (Limited mileage policy 5k / year). No claims no points. 2006 Disco3

So I did my usual trawl of insurance companies for quotes. (All offer Greenlaning, off road cover)

NFU - £653 - £300 Excess
LRI - £505 - £350 Excess
Adrain Flux through Equity Red Star - £295 - £300 Excess (I contacted by phone to question and get a re-quote)

Anybody got experience of Equity Red Star (They seem to do a lot of agricultural insurance)??

Although I like a deal, it seems a bit cheap?

Cheers

Simon

Post #60804922nd Feb 2010 6:36 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

how old are you Simon? all your quotes seem to be around twice what I pay with Admiral, and I'm relatively young (on here anyway!) at 25! Although they do not offer "off road" cover.

My last disco was insured with flux/ ER and I didn't have any issues, although I never had to claim!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #60805622nd Feb 2010 6:44 pm
riddicks

I'm 38 years young and yes Admiral came in at £300 from Confused.com, but without the off road cover. Which I'd like for peace of mind.

I've seen some reviews of Equity Red Star and they don't read well. But then again I'd only write a insurance company review if they'd stung me. So I have to take that into account.

Cheers

Simon

Post #60806722nd Feb 2010 6:54 pm
Pelyma

England 

I used them many years ago and claimed no problem.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #60807422nd Feb 2010 7:02 pm
Walmsleys

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

EQS are probably the largest Lloyds motor syndicate - they are a safe bet but can be hard work on claims.

It's not that they won't pay, it's just that they aren't the most efficient claims department in the insurance world.

Having said that, as a Chartered Insurance Broker, having to deal with insurer claims numpties on a regular basis, it's safe to say that very few are customer friendly.

What you need is a good broker* who will battle on your behalf - will cost a bit more but then, so does a D3!

*not my company though - we do commercial insurance and leave most personal stuff to Tesco!
 2013 D4 HSE Luxe in Indus Silver

(previously 2015 Defender Urban Truck 90XS in Havana)
(previously 2013 D4 XS in Fuji White)
(previously 2011 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey, auto, black leather, reversing camera and removable tow bar)
(previously 2011 Freelander 2, blue (Mrs B's)
(previously 2007 TDV6 D3 SE Zermatt Silver, auto, black leather, an Uncle Ray plate and AT2s)
(previously 2001 Freelander One, blue)
(previously 1967 Series 2, Green) 

Post #60808222nd Feb 2010 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Inuit

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Been ringing around today. 07 auto disco 3 yrs no claims 3 points 5yrs old end march. Currently on a mutlicar policy with Admiral, which makes it around £400 a year for the DISCO. Adrian flux £740, NFU £893, LR £630. Not sure the issue with Adrian Flux, customer service disgusting. Quoted me nearly £1000 for my other car with over 8 years no claims, which currently costs £520. Not sure they are fond of women drivers and i am not a spring chicken either Confused

Think it really depends on who you talk to. NFU agent said there was no way they covered green laning and offroad in anyway Rolling Eyes She checked and obviously they do. Admiral confirmed they will cover me on an byway that is shown on a map, but if i go off piste and have a problem tough, which for me is fine, i only want to do a gentle bit of greenlaning.

Might do a bit more shopping around Do you know if anyone else offers red star - wont go back to Flux (oh they wanted £400 for a car worth £500, that i currently pay around £200 for.

Post #60825722nd Feb 2010 10:44 pm
riddicks

Thanks for everyone's replies.

From your comments it just goes to confirm what my Dad always says... Insurance Companies = Legalised Extortion

Based on the view that they are all as bad as each other, I think I'll go with ERS.

Will £200 buy me more peace of mind with LRI? Not sure its worth it.

Thanks again.

Simon

Post #60853723rd Feb 2010 12:17 pm
Walmsleys

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

...and that's why insurances companies have given up trying to sell on quality - it's not what Joe Public wants.

Insurance is a classic distress purchase but also represnts a self fulfilling cycle. People don't want it, think it has no value, pay too little for it, then wonder why it doesn't do what they expect.
 2013 D4 HSE Luxe in Indus Silver

(previously 2015 Defender Urban Truck 90XS in Havana)
(previously 2013 D4 XS in Fuji White)
(previously 2011 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey, auto, black leather, reversing camera and removable tow bar)
(previously 2011 Freelander 2, blue (Mrs B's)
(previously 2007 TDV6 D3 SE Zermatt Silver, auto, black leather, an Uncle Ray plate and AT2s)
(previously 2001 Freelander One, blue)
(previously 1967 Series 2, Green) 

Post #60853923rd Feb 2010 12:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My dealings with Equity red star were not good although for motorbikes and some years ago.

They used to have very heavy penalties for cancellation if you needed to sell or change vehicle.

So inefficant when I used them they actually forgot to process the credit card payment, so they never had any premiums of me in the end Whistle
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #60855623rd Feb 2010 12:39 pm
riddicks

Ref - Walmsleys comment

Very true, cheapness is the order of the day - people don't appreciate 'value' until they have to use it. Insurance isn't something you use enough on a regular basis to perceive good value - if you're lucky or careful. Also if you have a smaller accident or something gets stolen from the car - you generally won't claim, due to the excess or the impact to your NCB. The other difficulty is with the apparent wild variations in price against the same specification.

All of which don't help peoples views on the car insurance business.

Of course if it does all go Pete Tong, I want to recoup the most value from my car if the worse were to happen, but will spending £200 - £300 more on car insurance get me that? Will LRI payout more than ERS?

Post #60904623rd Feb 2010 10:43 pm
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

J@mes wrote:
how old are you Simon? all your quotes seem to be around twice what I pay with Admiral, and I'm relatively young (on here anyway!) at 25! Although they do not offer "off road" cover.

My last disco was insured with flux/ ER and I didn't have any issues, although I never had to claim!

James I'd just like to say, Im 26 and my partner is 21. I pay just over 600 quid fully comp. 2yrs NCB and 3 points. 500 quid Excess though
Swift cover.

Although tried insure a mitsubishi pajero N reg for third party only the other day. just under £1000. Excess was about 750 quid too. That was the cheapest I could find some wanted over £1600 Big Cry
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #60906923rd Feb 2010 11:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >