Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Insurance and mods
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sgl223

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Insurance and mods

Hi everyone. I ordered an HSE end of November, and am due to get in next week, or maybe the week after. I can't wait. However, when shopping about for insurance on the web, i was asked if there were any non factory mods - I've asked the dealer to fit side steps - do these count? How about a tow bar? Any help would be great.

Post #58435218th Jan 2010 10:23 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

NFU I am with do not give a toss about most the mods that includes remap, all other goodies hooked up to the car and all but the previous insurer elephant was Censored they ie wanted 35 quid a year for performance air filter installation whitch is more than filter itself,depend who you with...

Post #58441118th Jan 2010 11:02 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

These are LR Parts are they not ? I wouldn't loose sleep over it - but if you are concerned simply add them to the spec your insurance company have Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #58441818th Jan 2010 11:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Depends who you speak to at NFU...

When I spoke to them about remapping the D3 they wanted 30-40% uplift based on 30% boost, but note that switching to the D4 (worth twice as much, and with at least as much power as a remapped D3) cost me about 15% extra. Meanwhile Direct Line want to add a £400 compulsory excess for having the dealer fit tinted windows. That's not on the glass cover, that's on any damage - go figure!

For reference, I'm 42, live in a "nice" area and have full protected no claims - hardly boy racer material!

Post #58442518th Jan 2010 11:12 pm
highlandcow

As you'll probably gather by now it's a bit of a lottery and subject to the whim of the insurer. Sureterm charged more for my Freelander 2's factory-fitted privacy glass and side steps, but Admiral multi-car didn't care about the factory-fitted privacy glass on my D4.

In fact, Admiral said that as long as any accessories were Land Rover ones, then that was fine. However, there was a bit of a Pythonesque situation when I telephoned to add non-Land Rover side protection tubes to the D4:

"I'd like to inform you that I've fitted non-Land Rover side protection tubes."

"What are they?"

"They're side protection tubes, which sit beneath the doors of the vehicle to protect the car."

"From rust?"

"No, no. From obstacles if you're offroad, like rocks and trees."

"Ah, ok. So, what are they called?"

"Side protection tubes."

Silence.

"Would you like me to spell "side protection tubes" for you? Sierra India Delta Echo... etc, etc."

"Ah, what else might they be known as?"

"Em, sliders...? Hang on a minute, Land Rover make a pair and they call them "side protection tubes", that's what they're called."

"So they go along the side of the car?"

"No, along the bottom, beneath the door."

Silence.

"I'm phoning you to inform you, as my insurer and in accordance with my policy, that I have modified my vehicle with a non-approved and non-Land Rover accessory."

"Ah, we can't insure it."

"What do you mean?"

"If you damage it, whatever it is, it isn't covered."

"That's ok, but I need to inform you of it to comply with my policy. This is what I'm trying to do with this phone call."

"Oh, ok. We'll make a note of it on your insurance policy if you really want. What's it called again...?"

Post #58462319th Jan 2010 6:55 am
sgl223

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to shop around. It is ridiculous, as you say - how can a non performance enhancing mod increase risk? Never mind - worth it in the end. :)

Post #58507819th Jan 2010 7:14 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

sgl223 wrote:
Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to shop around. It is ridiculous, as you say - how can a non performance enhancing mod increase risk? Never mind - worth it in the end. Smile

I suspect certain mods like body kits probably correlate with more claims due to the profile of the sort of person who fits them (young, male, drives a bit too fast etc). Car goes faster as an indirect result of bodykit (i.e. driver now thinks they're in Too Fast and Too Furious) Very Happy
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #66674530th Jun 2010 11:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >