Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Insurance renewal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
2DISCO3ORNOT

Sounds like a bargain to me, whos that with and where are you based?

Post #66605729th Jun 2010 12:41 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The biggest problem I find with gathering insurance quotes is that you are almost never comparing like with like. I have on two occasions in the past cancelled a policy a few days after receiving the documentation because I found something in the small print (when all the bumph turns up) that I wasn't aware of/didn't like. You almost never find out all the minute details until after you have taken out the policy, you certainly don't get even close to the detail using the comparison websites.

Give you an example – one insurer who quoted me offers a replacement car (like most) whilst yours is being repaired. Like many, the replacement car is usually provided by the repair centre actually doing the work not the insurance company themselves. In the very small print of the policy it stated that if your car was written off you would not get any form of replacement vehicle whatsoever; not even in the period whilst they were inspecting it and making the decision to write off, what use is that just when you really need a car!

Anyhow I called them up and asked what happens if the car isn’t drivable, is repairable but the repair centre can’t work on it for a fortnight. I.e. it’s been towed to the repair centre waiting for them to start work on it. The shocking answer was that you would only get a replacement vehicle for the time that the repair centre was actually working on it, which is no use to anyone frankly. Policy cancelled 4 days after taking it out.

Now I know that some insurers charge extra for things like a guaranteed hire car that covers all eventualities, some include it as standard, some like the example above leave you on your own. My point is you often don’t know about some of these little catches at the time you are gathering your quotes and making comparisons. In fact in the above example the comparison websites showed this insurer as providing replacement vehicle - which they do - just not in all cases.

For what it’s worth, in the end I went with eSure this time round. £475, main driver 40, no points, 3 years NCD (me Thumbs Up ) SWMBO 41, 3 points and an at fault claim in the last 12 months (on different policy), includes business use for both of us. Silly wotsit stuck the Octavia into the back of a brand new Fiesta on an island Laughing and then tried to say it was my fault for talking to her whilst she was driving Rolling Eyes which makes a change as she usually says I never talk to her about anything.......

Post #66608329th Jun 2010 1:43 pm
disco3kenny

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

2DISCO3ORNOT sureterm direct for disco and zurich for Bm postcode L36 North west,driving 25yrs full no claims no points careful driver Whistle
 http://tinyurl.com/eBay-All-things-D3-Now  
Post #66608529th Jun 2010 1:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

About £480 for me and Mrs C with NFU - and they came down in price when I demonstrated other similar quotes. No claims/convictions, rural Post Code. I'm 32, she's 33.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #66609229th Jun 2010 2:09 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Last year mine was £286 full comp with business cover - with Swinton Insurance

It's due end of this month, haven't had a renewal through yet - will update this post when it does Thumbs Up
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #66619929th Jun 2010 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamieg7762

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

In the end I ended up staying with Privellege for mine.
A couple of phone calls later & all sorted for £619.50.
That covers me (33) the wife (31), gaurenteed hire car plus, protected no claims & legal cover. 9+ years no claims, no points and no claims. 56 plate silver metropolis.

The gaurenteed hire car plus is brill, if I have a collision & it is my fault, I get a hire car of same make or the same size.

Common mis-conseption, if you are involved in a road traffic collision (not accident as it is always somebodies fault) and it is third party fault. Then you can have a hire car straight away of the same make or equivalent size.
You do not have to accept the accident repair centres car.

Also insist it goes to a land rover repair centre, they cant make you use the one they say. If the try this tell them you are going to discuss this with the NIO (National Insurance Ombudsman).

Post #66623829th Jun 2010 8:38 pm
cjdck

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ive had my discovery for 3 months now, before that i had a p38 range rover, insured for £1700 because i was only 18 through aviva. bought the disco and last worked out how much i acctually paid and it was £2800! now with NFU for £1700.

Post #66626429th Jun 2010 9:15 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Privelege for myself and partner with business use for both protected no claims, both 41 LE postcode £350

Post #66626529th Jun 2010 9:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >