Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Interested in D3 remap but I have questions!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bracechenko

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Interested in D3 remap but I have questions!

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been posted before. I did search but haven't quite found the answer yet. So, here goes...

I have recently bought a 2006 D3, 141k GS spec. It's already had the EGR delete done and the ECU updated to stop the engine management lights.

It also has a hideous flat spot which is most noticeable at about 55mph if I try to accelerate. Symptoms are that I could happily cruise along at about 55-60mph on quarter throttle but if I push to half throttle to accelerate then the car just bogs down and actually loses speed....it's worse than simply turbo lag....it's like the car is on a break and ignoring the throttle. If I hold it there, it takes literally about 5 seconds+ before it starts very slowly picking up speed again until it's on boost. To manage it, I need to push on to about 3/4 throttle to make it kick down a gear and then it spools up and off it goes but this obviously isn't right.

The turbo seems fine, no smoke of any kind, engine is strong when on boost etc. I've never owned a Disco before and whilst I accept that a heavy turbo diesel can have lag, I'm confident that this is an issue as there's no way it came from factory like it...it's too severe.

I will check the turbo actuator but from reading many posts I'm not sure it's that. No warning lights, no smoke as said and turbo is strong. My theory is that it's the mapping/fuelling. Obviously the previous owner must have had an update to remove the engine mgmt light along with the EGR delete....is it possible that this is just a terrible map and if I upgrade to something decent it'll deal with it better?

As always, any advice appreciated....this is a great community to be a part of so I'll welcome all responses!

Bracey

Post #22447852nd Aug 2021 9:10 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I had a BAS remap on my D3, and was very pleased with it.

Have a look at this thread:-

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/d3-remap-191947.html

NJSS

Post #22447882nd Aug 2021 9:16 pm
Bracechenko

Thanks NJSS....it took me a while to stop staring at your thumbnail pic but I did read the thread. Seems like you had good results which I would expect from a remapping but did you have any symptoms like I am experiencing? Is this typical D3 behaviour?

I guess I'm trying to gauge opinion if people think my issues could be caused by a poor mapping/fuelling. Or, am I incorrect in assuming that updating the ECU to remove the EML after EGR delete doesn't mean that the fuelling was touched?

Post #22447892nd Aug 2021 9:21 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

First a MY06 does not need a egr “delete” in the mapping… a MY07 though does need it, as far as i know.. so depending on actual buildt date it is a true “story” or not…

Second, people tend to look at mappings first when they experience performance issues.. i have doubts in this case (and many other cases Rolling with laughter ) “if… just if… there was a egr delete necessary in the ecu, they do not change any fuel related data normally…

Turbo Lag or turbo spool issues can have many other reasons, mostly restrictions in the inlet… oil, dirt, partially blocked intercooler, etc. Etc.. also exhaust leakages like starting cracks in the crossover pipe can be the reason for such issues..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #22448062nd Aug 2021 10:11 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

In my opinion D3 throttle response is pretty crap, but not as bad as you are describing, if I floor it whilst moving it will kickdown instantly then try and gather speed.

Without a shadow of a doubt the worst part of the car is rolling up to a junction/roundabout seeing a gap mashing the throttle, and waiitng for it to go but you soon adapt your driving to suit.

Before getting involved to deep in anything I would start with the basics, like gearbox oil level, colour of gbox oil, intercooler hoses etc.

Have the egrs been physically blanked or pipes removed incl the butterfly?

Post #22448202nd Aug 2021 10:29 pm
Bracechenko

So it's a 56 plate so not sure if we're on a MY07 or MY06 but I'm going on what the previous owner told me. The EGR's have been physically blanked and the pipes all removed....I've removed the engine cover to check the blanking plates are there too.

I did notice last night that the 1 blanking plate looks a bit bodged. The 2 bolts are different and looks like there's almost 2 plates bolted on so I wonder if there has been a leak there in the past or if it's leaking now. I might try the paper trick to see if I can detect a leak as I don't want to remove it straight away for inspection as he's used exhaust putty so it might be messy.

Could a leak cause this symptom? The dodgy looking plate is on the left side of the engine looking at it when facing the car....not at the intake but the one towards the bottom.

Post #22448373rd Aug 2021 8:46 am
Alex3025

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Had my 2005 with 173;000 miles on the clock remapped end of June and got to say it’s the best thing I’ve done to it runs so muck smoother than before pick up is much better and getting more mpg
Like having a new car 8)

Post #22449593rd Aug 2021 5:31 pm
Bracechenko

Hmm...heard so many people tell me that, I may just take the plunge. I will check the hoses, how clean the intakes are and anything else in my skillset (not a lot) but think an ECU remap is a good thing regardless if it'll help this issue or not.

In touch with Bodsy now and sounds like he's the man who can help...will see where we get too in the next couple of weeks.

Post #22449623rd Aug 2021 5:48 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If Bodsy can’t sort it nobody can Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #22449703rd Aug 2021 6:54 pm
Bracechenko

Re: Interested in D3 remap but I have questions! [UPDATE]

Bracechenko wrote:
Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been posted before. I did search but haven't quite found the answer yet. So, here goes...

I have recently bought a 2006 D3, 141k GS spec. It's already had the EGR delete done and the ECU updated to stop the engine management lights.

It also has a hideous flat spot which is most noticeable at about 55mph if I try to accelerate. Symptoms are that I could happily cruise along at about 55-60mph on quarter throttle but if I push to half throttle to accelerate then the car just bogs down and actually loses speed....it's worse than simply turbo lag....it's like the car is on a break and ignoring the throttle. If I hold it there, it takes literally about 5 seconds+ before it starts very slowly picking up speed again until it's on boost. To manage it, I need to push on to about 3/4 throttle to make it kick down a gear and then it spools up and off it goes but this obviously isn't right.

The turbo seems fine, no smoke of any kind, engine is strong when on boost etc. I've never owned a Disco before and whilst I accept that a heavy turbo diesel can have lag, I'm confident that this is an issue as there's no way it came from factory like it...it's too severe.

I will check the turbo actuator but from reading many posts I'm not sure it's that. No warning lights, no smoke as said and turbo is strong. My theory is that it's the mapping/fuelling. Obviously the previous owner must have had an update to remove the engine mgmt light along with the EGR delete....is it possible that this is just a terrible map and if I upgrade to something decent it'll deal with it better?

As always, any advice appreciated....this is a great community to be a part of so I'll welcome all responses!

Bracey

So, update on that flat spot 2 years later!! Changed the air filter today and noticed that the airbox wasn't seated correctly into the clean air hole in the side of the wing. The whole airbox had come out at some point and about half of the intake side was blocked. Seated it properly and it's literally transformed the pickup of the car....completely removed the lag issue described above! OBviously there's still turbo lag but only what I'd expect from such a truck.

I can't believe I've been driving it for 2 years like this when it was such a simple fix! Laughing

Post #234802316th Sep 2023 2:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >