Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

When is a road not a road, and becomes an ''Off road'' road?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Bow down Bow down ...mind you I nearly followed down after you and I only had road tyres Shocked
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #158406828th Dec 2015 10:15 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
Basically, any public road/track/route that it is legal to drive on (as defined by the local councils list of streets) needs a vehicle to be road legal ie Insured, Mot'd, and registered etc.

Some policies do exclude 'unsurfaced' routes from their cover. My understanding is that providing your insurer does not specifically exclude unsurfaced roads, then they have to cover you. However, there will probably be lots of small print to negotiate in the event of a claim.

If you are serious about greenlaning (as opposed to Off Roading which is a completely different description), then my advice is to stick to the known insurers that advertise in the 4x4 community.

I humbly apologise in advance for contradicting a moderator Very Happy but I think Gareth has pitched his definition too tightly, in addition to those areas mentioned, I believe the current regulations extend to any place that the public have access to, this can extend to any car park where there is no admission fee charged on entry, such as Tesco's car park or an event that offers free car parking. So in effect the parking fields at Brands Hatch or Silverstone are subject to all of the road traffic regulations (even though many of them are just grass fields) but the track, pits and paddocks are not because the entry is restricted.

Where I do agree with Gareth is in his last paragraph.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #158412929th Dec 2015 2:08 am
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

This would be correct I believe as you can get prosecuted for drink driving etc in a private car park where the public have access.
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #158413829th Dec 2015 6:30 am
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

MGCarr wrote:
I humbly apologise in advance for contradicting a moderator Very Happy but I think Gareth has pitched his definition too tightly, in addition to those areas mentioned, I believe the current regulations extend to any place that the public have access to, this can extend to any car park where there is no admission fee charged on entry, such as Tesco's car park or an event that offers free car parking. So in effect the parking fields at Brands Hatch or Silverstone are subject to all of the road traffic regulations (even though many of them are just grass fields) but the track, pits and paddocks are not because the entry is restricted.
Where I do agree with Gareth is in his last paragraph.

'' ... this can extend to any car park where there is no admission fee charged on entry ... ''
Hospital car parks :
A time stamped ticket is issued on entry, and payment is calculated on exit, or
A fee is paid to cover a stated period of time
A flat fee is paid on entry
No charge is made for a stated period, but an overstay 'fine' is made
No charge is made whatsoever Question

''Interesting'' in the light of the growing concerns being expressed about the escalating charges being levied on both staff and visitors, and 'surpluses' of over £1 000 000 being reported.

AAA Neutral

Post #158415429th Dec 2015 9:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >