Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Lazer 750 Triple R fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
NC500

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Lazer 750 Triple R fitting

Just placed an order for a pair of these Lazer LEDs to fit to my D4.5 MY14.

I have been told that for these to work I need to wire it in via a CANm8 interface spliced in behind the OBD port. Has anyone else had to do this??

I have seen the install video on the Lazer website (https://youtu.be/NRf-Ec4T5w8) and trawled the web but can find no explanation as to why it has to be wired this way. In the past I have always taken a feed for the relay to the new lamps from a splice in the main beam feed. Reading the many posts on the forum it seems that others have wired in spots on the D4 in this way too- what am I missing?

If I have to use a CANm8 interface, is there an idiots guide for fitting it on the D4?

Thanks for your help

Post #18874136th Dec 2017 8:28 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Shocked

I have lightforce 170hids wired as you describe, relay and trigger from main beam, I see no reason why the Lazer LEDs are any different Thumbs Up

Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #18874166th Dec 2017 8:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Fitting instructions show standard setup.

https://www.lazerlamps.com/media/custom/up...092519.pdf
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #18874566th Dec 2017 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NC500

Thanks for the replies- are your OEM lights the HID type? I wonder if that's why Prospeed recommends the Canm8...

Perhaps I will call them and ask....

Post #18875417th Dec 2017 9:04 am
RandomKamikaze

United Kingdom 

The CANM8 removes the need to splice into any existing wiring.

You can use a ODB Extension cable to and then take a signal from that to trigger a relay.

Post #18876207th Dec 2017 2:18 pm
NC500

Thanks for that explanation but in order to install the Canm8 it is my understanding that you have to splice it into the wiring of the obd! Seems easier to splice into the mainbeam harness once than the obd harness multiple times!

Post #18876607th Dec 2017 3:49 pm
RandomKamikaze

United Kingdom 

You can get an ODB extension cable that plugs into the ODB port under the dash. If you find one like this:

you simply take the CANBUS HIGH cable and connect it to the CANM8. However, you still need a relay. The output from the CANM8 connects to a relay that will power the lights.

Removal is as simple as unplugging the ODB extension and removing the cabling for the power.

TBH, its a bit more of a faff, but it does mean you can't be cut and soldering wires that are part of the original ODB or light cluster loom (as you won't be using scotch locks as they are the devil) which means any warranty you've got won't be affected.

Post #18876857th Dec 2017 4:54 pm
NC500

So if I understand correctly, I splice the Canm8 into the extension that you suggest using the wiring instructions from Lazer and hook up a suitable power source and then plug the extension into the obd? Then I would run a feed from the Canm8 through the bulkhead and connect it to the spotlight relay. Seems like a simpler solution than making multiple splices behind the obd but it won't look very elegant!

I am somewhat surprised that despite hours of researching posts on the forum about the best type of spot lights and also how they have been fitted that i have never heard about the Canm8 method before.

Surely, it would be easier and cheaper to splice into the mainbeam harness wouldn't it?

Last edited by NC500 on 7th Dec 2017 7:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18877267th Dec 2017 7:28 pm
NC500

Bodsy- I too had seen that PDF showing a standard install (splice to mainbeam). This is what confuses me as Lazer also recommends the Canm8 on their website too... I wondered if Prospeed recommended it because of the lights being HIDs...

Post #18877297th Dec 2017 7:33 pm
Russellg

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

Apart from the obvious easy installation, or where there is no obvious 12v circuit to connect to, the canm8 (or similar can interface) is also of benefit when there is a requirement to interface into sensitive vehicle electronics where even the most basic modifications can trigger faults and upset ecu diagnostics - even to the point of causing seemingly unrelated faults in other interconnected systems etc.

I should note that I can’t say whether the D4 electronics are sensitive to that level though.

However it goes without saying that even the canm8 itself could cause the same issues, although I’m sure it’s been extensively tested.

I’d certainly try to interface into the high beam circuit initially, using a fuse protected relay before opting for a can interface.

However, there will be numerous places you could connect to the can wires, but rather than splicing you should consider repining an existing connector and making a jumper. I don’t have much experience with LR (having only picked up my D3 a week or two ago) but I have extensive knowledge of BMW electronics including modifications, coding and programming.

I have my self installed a Lazer T16 and ST4 into a BMW and a Mini (and a Isuzu D-Max).

On the (BMW) cars with basic bi-xenon headlights, it’s quite easy to hook into the high beam shutter using a basic really, but the more modern vehicles with individual headlight ECU’s, the canm8 or equivalent is required.

Sorry for the long post, just realised that I dont actually have much to add really seeing as I don’t have much LR experience, but in a nut shell I’d be surprised if the D4 had individual headlight ECU’s so go for the relay option first!

On a side note, most BMW OBD pins are microtimer 2, and the other connectors are Tyco MQS, I’m not sure what LR generally use, but they will be readily available from RS or LR if you want to make a jumper, which would allow your wiring to be easily returned to stock afterwArds.

Post #18877607th Dec 2017 9:00 pm
NC500

Thanks for the insight Russell - very helpful

Post #18879098th Dec 2017 11:02 am
NC500

At last - an explanation!

I have spoken to Nick at Lazer and he says that the run out models of the D4 fitted with Bi-Xenon headlights require a CanM8 interface.

He says that Bi-xenon light units utilise a 'shutter' which moves over the xenon bulb to alter the beam between dipped and main beam headlamps.

There is no constant live feed to the 'main beam', instead, the shutter mechanism is triggered by a small live feed to switch the shutter open (mainbeam) and then another live feed to close the shutter (dipped). As the electrical pulse is not a constant feed the spot light switching relay will not work consistently. This can result in either (a) the spot lights not coming on when the driver activates the main beam (b) the spot lights not turning off when dipped or (c) the spot lights not working at all.

So, a CanM8 is required but there is a method of fitting it whilst also preserving the integrity of the wiring harness. This is done by using a non invasive CANM8 CANNECT CONTACTLESS READER.

Quoting the Lazer website:

"The Contactless Reader option allows the CAN Bus interface to read vehicle CAN Bus data without any actual metal to metal connection (splicing) between the interface and the vehicle CAN Bus. The reader is secured around a section of the vehicle CAN Bus wiring and data is read by an induction method, thus protecting any manufacturers warranty.

This version of the Contactless reader works on 5v and is directly compatibility with the CANM8 Cannect Highbeam.

The reader features a strong locking clamp to retain its position around the CAN wiring. The CAN wiring must first be straightened for a short distance and the HI - LO wires identified and placed in to the corresponding channels of the reader before the reader housing can be closed over the wiring.

Installation is quick and easy; simply remove the CAN HI and LO connection wires from the CANNECT interface harness and fit the HI and LO connection wires from the reader in to the same connector positions. Click in the reader power wires in to the corresponding powering positions and the interface is ready to install to the vehicle".

Now, I am no vehicle electrician and living where I do means that I cant readily call on one! So, I have to make a choice - live without additional driving lamps or work my way through the install slowly! What do you all think I should do?

I still cant believe that I am the first person on the forum who has fitted spotlights to Bi-xenons! Confused

Post #18879318th Dec 2017 11:52 am
D4-Russ

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

It’s on my list of jobs for next year so thanks for putting in the detective work!!
I’ll have to factor in the additional cost of the CANM8 module now, that or just have a separate switch for them and don’t bother wiring into the main beam.
 D4 MY15 (64) SE Tech, Loire Blue
Front Runner Rack and ladder 

Post #18879948th Dec 2017 1:56 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Coolio,

Post #18880128th Dec 2017 3:00 pm
NC500

Gary- I see you have the bi xenon lights. How are your Lazer spots wired up?

Post #18880238th Dec 2017 3:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >