Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > North America & LR3/4

Who would YOU like to see Buy LR...or does it matter?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
rsm

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Who would YOU like to see Buy LR...or does it matter?

Of all the bidders on contention to buy LR who is the best possible new owner for current and prospective LR owners? Hopefully it will be someone who understands and keeps the LR tradition in present and future vehicles and puts an emphasis on quality and ruggedness. Right now is sort of a "golden era" for LR where style and quality are concerened and my hope is that the new owners have the proper vision where all of LR is concerned.

Post #18034921st Jul 2007 2:20 am
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I'd like to see Porsche buy LR - you could be guaranteed that the designs would never change and it would be very well built.
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #18040221st Jul 2007 3:02 pm
SN

You've got to be kidding right? Evil or Very Mad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #18041521st Jul 2007 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fisherman

Wales 

I think it will be someone from the east, possibly Honda or Suzuki. I think the offerings of Jaguar may be of interest to Toyota. Or it maybe some sort of consortium from outside the industry altogether.
I think Ford have done some really good work on LR and would love them to stay in charge having dealt with their cashflow problems.
If's buts and maybe's but hey "wtf"
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #18049221st Jul 2007 8:43 pm
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

kinda SN - I mean the only downside would be that they would probably double or treble the price. But the Disco 4, 5 and 6 would just be mildly reworked versions of the D3 - just like the 911. Laughing

It would also mean that Porsche had a proper selection of off roaders not just reworked VW's. Can you imagine what a Porsche RRS would be like? Twisted Evil
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #18052121st Jul 2007 9:57 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
The Ideal Owners.....

BMW bought Rover & Land Rover - apparently for the land Rover Technology (or to be real the nowse of some really smart people who could work out 4WD issues in real terms without computers - instinctive engineers). They made an absolute B_____r of it & profied from the deal - if you read the terms that they left with - the government of the day have a lot to answer for. Fortunately Land Rover stayed intact.

The stroke of luck that Pheonix (spit) either didn't or couldn't buy Land Rover - they were just in for the short term profit of being able to walkaway with four big pockets full of money at the expense of killing off a big chunk of West Midlands manufacturing. (When you consider the Conservatives managed to sequester the Miners union funds - why wasnt this done with pile of cash ? just whose palms were greased here)

Ford have done one good thing - let land Rover manage Land Rover & provide the funds to take them to where they are today - 4 really good models all with development potential & these products are light years better than what what went before.....enough said.

The new owners have to provide the freedom to the management (motor engineers) to take Land Rover where it has to go....in providing solutions to customer needs & wishes, realised in viable volume products that wont close the company down.

So the choices - existing company - preferably not French or American
the French (PSA or Renault) are so arrogant they wouldn't appreciate what Land Rover are about e.g. Peugot Citroen dealings with Rootes Talbot in the late 70's early 80's - Renault are a failing company - I see Nissan / Renault going by the wayside).
American Companies - well there already is one - hey had the dosh to get land Rover - but when Ford (who work to 3 decinmal places of a penny) see there overall profits get shaky they sell offshore companies - US companies always do that & aways will - they will shed investments offshore in keeping US jobs - even if the offshore company/product is more viable.
GM could but land Rover but its highly unlikely they would sell for the loss of face..

That leaves The Japs & The Germans...
Honda - Yes good with innovating new technology - & sadly walked away from Leyland as BMW took over - at the time Honda were in "transformation mode" getting Leyland manufacturing up to World Class standard & using thier own product line to bolster what was on offer. They understand 4WD sadly didn't complete the job
Toyota/Toyoda - No they will be the biggest - but work there own form of everything in the Toyota Quality/Manufacturing system. I can't see them being sleeping partners as they rely on dominating with DULL volume products made by faceless drones - products with no character (maybe this means products that are a bit quirky at times).

VW/Audi - could & would probably make a decent job of it (they have the cash & the streams of technology - they wouldn't allow a product with squeaky wipers - drive a VW to witness that). however where the Land Rover line up up came into & threatened their existing line up isn't clear - they have gone their own way with bits & pieces of 4WD offering in what we see today - the link with Porsche eliminates the obvious one mentioned above.
They have at least spread thier manufacturing base into Spain, Czech republic, (& beyond) very successfully using the same base model bits (Golf, Skoda, Seat etc) much the same as BMC did in the 60's

BMW have been there (Bas___ds)...haven't got the tee shirt or badge they are only just offering active suspension in the revised X5 (that begs the question - did they retain the patent rights to this why it isnt on Disco 3's, Sports etc)
Disco 3's dont corner as well as a higher spec Disco 2 - lets be honest they just don't...

Merc - I dont think so thy are sheding links with Chrysler for the same reason as Ford & Land Rover

Which really only leaves the Indians, Chinese (& Koreans) - both India & China are countries have individuals & consortiums that could fund the investment - where they would take the companies isnt clear - God forbid China having (or even a stake in it). Indian manufacturing is the rising star currently - not to be scorned at.
I cant see either of of the Koreans "chibols" getting involved.

So in my reckoning it comes down to Honda or an understanding private investors.....
Private investors in this case have to understand the no short term gain aspect of the motor industry at a time when its going to be turned on its head with appeasing the environmental lobby (Government, Public & NGO's) - a situation that goes beyond the 4WD issue into motor car transport as a whole....

Richard Branson could ?
so could numerous (all ex mafia) Russians......(Zil Disco, Tatra Disco, LADA Disco...mmm none sound right

Plenty to think about & discuss...let battle commence
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 9th Sep 2007 12:34 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18055422nd Jul 2007 7:59 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: The Ideal Owners.....

BLFarrar wrote:

BMW have been there (Bas___ds)...havent got the tee shirt or badge they are only just offering active suspension in the revised X5 (that begs the question - did they retain the patent rights to this why it isnt on Disco 3's, Sports etc)
Disco 3's dont corner as well as a higher spec Disco 2 - lets be honest thay just dont...

Actually the system is fitted as standard to the Sport, in TDV6/8 HSE and Supercharged versions. It's part of the Dynamic Pack, along with Brembo brakes, bigger wheels, etc.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #18056722nd Jul 2007 10:01 am
roverchan

2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

isn't it going to be "TATA", the malasian company? If it is, I would just die right on the spot! They make cars like this!

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/images/cityrover_18.jpg

Big Cry

Here's a link to an article about it:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/19/indias-...and-rover/

Post #18061622nd Jul 2007 6:04 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

BKEHOE - are you sure its the full hydraulic active suspension thing that worked on the fronts axle of the series 2 Disco ?
the Lnadrover Website site says:-
Four wheel Electronic Traction Control (ETC), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), 4 Channel all terrain ABS
&
Dynamic Response
Standard on Range Rover Sport Supercharged and the TDV8, optional on other models, the Dynamic Response system senses cornering forces and acts accordingly. It helps minimise the risk of roll and provides superb handling even under challenging conditions and yet maintains ride support and comfort. When off-road terrain warrants greater wheel travel Dynamic Response enables this by releasing the anti-roll bars.

If this is the same I'd just love to know how this has been integrated into the air suspension system (when I asked the service & technical manager of my local dealers (who is a well respected motor engineer he expalined it was a system that merely locked up the shocks.

Mabe one of the knowledgeable ones on here would inform us......I would like to know as this would be one reason to move away from a disco to a sport - if they go around corners better - on the whole I go around corners more than I need the additional space

Oh! in me previous text I missed out the Italians (mainly Fiat they have controlling interests in most of the companies there) I see as a spent force - they have the finance & the innovative engineering talent - but the other people with controlling interests (GM for one) I believe would block this.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #18066622nd Jul 2007 9:54 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

ISTR that Dynamic Response was only available on the Supercharged ..no?

Anyway ACE was good in the D2 but the ride was still very fidgety ...unlike the D3 Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #18067322nd Jul 2007 10:03 pm
bkehoe

The system on the D2 consisted of hydraulic actuators connected to the anti roll bar on both the front and the rear axle (at opposite sides). In addition fo making the vehicle more stable in bends, it also locked the actuators when on a side slope, so a D2 with ACE was better offroad as well, and had greater suspension travel.

It is the same, more or less as the D2 system. It is hydraulic and has its own fluid reservoir under the bonnet, with its own pump and a valve block similar to the D2 one, with actuators on the anti roll bars. LR used to blame the valve block for knocking noises in the RRS, which were actually caused by worn bushes caused by the system, which a software update fixes. There have also been quite a few people who've managed to burst pipes in their RRS - maybe going around the bends too fast? Laughing

I wouldn't even consider swapping my D3 for a RRS just for the dynamic response system. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference, certainly not as drastic as going from a D2 without ACE to a D2 with ACE. Yes the D3 is slightly worse than the D2 with ACE in corners, but it's nowhere near as bad as the D2 without ACE was.

Post #18067422nd Jul 2007 10:08 pm
bkehoe

DG, it used to only be fitted to the supercharged. It was available as an option for 06MY, but as of 07MY, it was fitted as standard to the HSE.

Post #18067722nd Jul 2007 10:12 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Embarassed Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #18068122nd Jul 2007 10:16 pm
jwest

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
comfort

the lr3 stinks in many ways. I just drove our 07 bmw 328 wagon for 3 weeks around the US and Ontario only to become spoiled by it's adjustability and better cockpit layout. it has the sport seats which also have side bolster adjusting. the LR3 sucks in my opinion is and really isn't any better than an hse D2 was (i have one, gave it to my mom and wish is just gotten her one and kept mine) the lr3 is "weird" in it's handling whereas the D2 was at least predictable both in steering input as well as throttle response.

I may be putting this 07 LR3 up for sale to whoever fins it comfortable. maybe I'm just not built right for the car but I would get another D2 2004 SE/HSE and have it modified or just go with some diesel like a Tourag or wait for a full size Diesel range rover.

oh, whoever buys rover ought to make the interior worth $55k and have some choices/options in the US!!!
 96 Disco I, 210,000 miles - still going strong
04 Disco II, Vienna/Tundra, +2" lift, onboard air, 120V...
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #1990314th Sep 2007 11:22 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

so which planet are you from BLFarrar ?

Leyland or the new colony that was known as Rover Yawn

Post #1990344th Sep 2007 11:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >