Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D3)

Manual Gearbox XYZ Sensor Failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Bob M

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3

Hi All,
Sorted mine now. As I have posted no sign of clutch slip with several people diagnosing when driving or even towing Senator caravan.
the loss of sync was 500 to 1500 miles typically towing or not. Sensor output always looked good.
Then one guy found it.
Drive 60 ish in 6th gear cruising, then quickly stamp the clutch right down and release fast as you can, watch the rev counter.
Mine took about two to three seconds to re engage.
When it was removed there were signs of slipping, new clutch feels totally different, stalled it driving off several times when I got it back.
This is another one which supports the LR notice that it is usually clutch problems.

Hope this helps some of you decide mine had done 84000.

Regards

Bob

Post #21030011st Dec 2019 8:19 pm
Sobermechanic

Northern Ireland 
Gearshift lever Y position sensor- circuit low

Hi,

I’ve got the same problem with my manual D3 fault code P174C Gearshift lever Y position sensor- circuit low and I’d love someone to help me please?
I completed the calibration sequence read on this forum and deleted the faults. As soon as the fault is deleted and without selecting any gear the fault comes back into it with an additional code U0122 Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module. The sensor couldn’t be reading that the clutch is slipping on idle without a gear selected but the vehicle drives fine up a steep hill in high gear? I read on this forum that the vehicle dynamics control module is the abs module and I’m trying to link up this fault (U0122) with the Gearshift lever Y position sensor- circuit low (P174C)?

Any help would be very gratefully appreciated Big Cry

Post #214798521st May 2020 10:33 pm
Ringobagarn

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Well, I have the same ”lost com” message and this is caused by a bad (corroded) terminal. Check the connection on the EPB and every connection back from there.
Good luck!

Post #214801122nd May 2020 5:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DJCritch

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hi, did you get the problem sorted as I'm in the same situation, with the same symptoms. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post #216944423rd Aug 2020 1:05 pm
Sobermechanic

Northern Ireland 

I renewed the XY sensor, not that easy of a job, needed to remove chassis crossmember, propshaft and drop the back of the gearbox down to get access

Post #216947023rd Aug 2020 2:39 pm
DJCritch

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thought that might be the case. Had new clutch and flywheel fitted last year. Gear box started to hum about 6 months ago, dropped the gearbox oil only 5ml of oil in there(should be 1600ml). Put my hand on top of the gearbox to find the breather pipe had not been reconnected!! the side of the gearbox discoloured with oil. Think the xy sensor which I believe to work off magnetism may have collected the chaff from the dry box.
Anyway unable to prove so not going back but will make everyone aware. Just invested in a 2 post lift and as the saying goes " if you want something doing Bla Bla Bla"
Thanks for your quick response.
Dave

Post #216948523rd Aug 2020 3:25 pm
megadeath7983

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
xy sensor fault

Shocked , can any 1 help me i am having transmission fault issues, i have read some where you can calibrate the sensor without reversing in low ratio, something about put the car in reverse first then turn the ignition clutch released fully until you get the R then go through the gears 123456, if so the engine cant possibly be running , any help

Post #223271627th May 2021 9:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

Also have this issue!

The error only comes up in 6th gear. And can’t be fixed by calibrating.

Says E on dash

Has this problem strictly been clutch related? Or has anyone found an electrical cause as per disco mikes advice seen on another thread?

Wondering do I change gear oil tomorrow as I see on another thread it has helped.

But it had gear oil changed as well as breather 10k miles ago among other fixes when crossover and manifold were repaired

See my gap iid code attachwd

Disco 3 SE Manual 2005 V6 2.7
Buckley, North Wales 

Post #231242824th Oct 2022 7:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >