free1000

United Kingdom 

deleted, accidentally double post...

Last edited by free1000 on 27th Jun 2018 11:51 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #195760527th Jun 2018 11:44 am
free1000

United Kingdom 

robpenrose wrote:

Are the round buttons not the bolsters? I thought off the top of my head the long button was the lumbar, but might be getting confused myself now!

Yes, sorry I was sort of lumping the bolsters/lumbar together as a system as they feel related (maybe they aren't)

I may have a misapprenension because when I use the bolsters I can inflate and deflate, but weirdly if I use the lumbar, I can feel it 'prodding in' but when I put it into reverse I can't feel it stop pressing, but if I deflate the bolsters, it seems to reduce the lumbar as well.

I'll take the car to a local expert to be checked as the dealer I bought it from doesn't know their way around these cars very well.

Post #195760827th Jun 2018 11:50 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

On my 2013 HSE Lux, it has 2 small buttons to inflate and deflate the side bolsters. It has a single rocker button to inflate and deflate the lumbar.

What I find is that the bolsters inflate and deflate very quickly. The lumbar inflates pretty quickly, but deflates really slowly.

It could be that you’ve pumped it all the way up and are not giving it enough time to fully deflate. I’m talking about 15-20 seconds to deflate it.

Also, I find the central seam in the leather can be felt sometimes, and that does annoy me.

Post #195772727th Jun 2018 5:22 pm
free1000

United Kingdom 

@Gareth Thanks that's useful, I didn't expect this to be a slower process than the bolster.

I think I'm on the road to a solution thanks to finding a website for this thing Morfit.co.uk, after watching their videos a few times and reading the product manual I think I've found a way to get the seat so it doesn't screw around with my back.

I spent Sunday searching YouTube for videos on how to adjust a car seat and there was only about one that was useful, really old featuring a genuine expert.

I think I had a bunch of different problems starting with an earlier injury to the muscles in the lower abdomen that I'd been feeling for a day or two, coupled with a really bad seating position when I picked up the car, it might be that my bad posture because of the accident coupled with a bad chair position was the initial cause.

Weirdly, now I've got a position that seems to be if not comfortable, not specifically painful, it almost feels after I drive its been a sort of therapeutic exercise and its making things feel a bit improved. I'm still going to get my physio to check though.

It's taken a lot of web research, but maybe these links will help someone else one day

https://www.morfit.co.uk/wp-content/upload...manual.pdf

(the product may not be necessary for most people, but the posture advice is really good, also the other videos on their site about how to adjust car seats and what good posture is).

&t=338s.

(this seems old, but Terry Moule seems a real old school expert)

I'm just relieved that I can enjoy this car now this seems to be sorted, touch wood.

Post #195784927th Jun 2018 11:23 pm
Lil'wolf

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I used to have an D4 HSE but found the electric seat motors meant the seat wouldn't move far back enough (I'm 6'6") or wouldn't move down enough - the manual seat in my D3 S Model was perfect.

I now have an SE Tech with the manual seat and the seat range is the same as my old D3. Perhaps it might be worth sitting in a D4 with manual seats to see if they are any more comfortable. I would have thought it would be easy enough to swop out for manual seats if needs be.

Post #195819628th Jun 2018 9:40 pm
free1000

United Kingdom 

A couple of weeks on things have improved a bit.

Now when I drive the car I am uncomfortable during the drive itself, but my back is not significantly sore once I'm out of the car. I've done a 75 odd mile drive with no lasting ill effects and a couple of 40-50 mile trips.

In order to avoid discomfort in the car I need to reduce the lumbar support to near zero and add just a little of the side bolsters, but I have to sit in a fairly upright position to avoid the possible back issue.

In every way I'm enjoying this car apart from the seat, impressed that I can get up to 35mpg from such a big vehicle, but 30 seems about average except for short trips in our local foothills where there's a climb every mile or so. I've had a few things to sort out with the car, getting its 7 year cam belt service done etc. so I won't have a chance to change the seat before our 2k+ drive to the South of France and back for our hols. Crossing fingers I'm not crippled by the time I get to Provence.

I may look into Lil Wolf's idea when we are back, I may need to!

Next, learning the best washing sequence, and finding whatever shinola the dealers put on tyres to make them look new when they only have 3mm over the legal tread minimum Smile

Post #196251412th Jul 2018 10:13 am
James W

United Kingdom 

free1000 wrote:
(this seems old, but Terry Moule seems a real old school expert)

Good lord, Men & Motors - that brought back a few unexpected memories from my 20s Embarassed
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #196252112th Jul 2018 10:35 am
free1000

United Kingdom 

Quote:
that brought back a few unexpected memories from my 20s

Oh yes, a more innocent era! Laughing Twisted Evil

Post #196252212th Jul 2018 10:40 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

free1000, I feel your pain... What year is your D4?

I moved from a 2011 Landmark to a 2016 HSE and also had massive problems with the drivers seat on the later HSE. It had a number of problems for me - it doesn't travel back far enough if you're tall, there is less room above your feet (if you've got big feet!) and the seat is slightly offset when compared to earlier designs, (meaning you sit slightly twisted compared to the wheel). It also trashed my back.

I was shocked because my previous two disco's had seats which were pretty much perfect for me. Dorset to Geneva in one go and get out fresh as a daisy! I struggled with anything more than a couple of hours in the last D4. Took it back to LR and they claimed nothing had changed in the seat frame design... total BS because you could measure the differences.

It's the HSE electric seats with memory that are the problem for me. Try the plain electric or manual seats fitted to <2014 and you'll be surprised. Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #196263412th Jul 2018 4:47 pm
free1000

United Kingdom 

@crews control I'm glad I'm not alone in this, but regret others have to go through it if you get my drift.

My car is a 2010 model HSE. Its funny that considering its age and the fact I'm an iOS app developer, the electronics are not too bad at all, so I'm really happy with the features it has.

It does sound like it may be worth the chance of changing the seats, and maybe there's a chance of a swap because some people prefer these electric seats for reasons of comfort.

I've had a previous experience like yours, in my case with a Kia Sorento a car which I have probably driven around 20k miles in through rentals in the US over the last 10 years. So I was surprised when I bought a UK spec one 2011 model and found the seat was positioned very differently, it was mounted an inch or two higher which led me to have the seat tilted back too much causing pain on longer drives, but like you only after experiencing pain from real driving rather than the reality of a test drive which can't be more than a half hour or so.

In your case the offset seat sounds really insane and twisted. I hope you work out a solution.

PS: Is it as hard as I'm finding to quote someones post?

Post #196265512th Jul 2018 5:32 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You can't quote if it's directly above... I think to save constant repeats.

I ended up selling mine, not just because of the poor seating but it was a major factor!
Hope you find someone who fancies swapping seats... or at least a solution.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #196273812th Jul 2018 8:50 pm
free1000

United Kingdom 
conclusion - happy with the car

We just returned to a 2k mile trip to Provence that I started with some trepidation. In the end result the pain has gone and the trip was very pleasurable.

I finally managed to get the physio for a consultation a few days before we left. She diagnosed some damage/stiffness to my thoracic vertebrae and gave me a pummelling that left me bruised and painful but which loosened things up. It seemed that my fall in the days before I picked up the car damaged my back and when I drove the LR4 home, with the seat and lumbar support in an uncomfortable position, it probably compounded the injury.

Now the problem is largely gone a) because I've found the restricted set of positions for the seat which are not uncomfortable and that work for me and b) because of the physio.

I'd still like a little more legroom, but I can live with the car and it's an improvement on my Saab in terms of comfort.

In all other ways the car is fantastic, and it was great having it on holiday, the aircon, the quietness, not too bad fuel consumption coupled with the cheaper diesel in France, the sound system and all that storage space were great, not to mention the ability to drive it over all sort of ground that I wouldn't have attempted in my cabrio.

Oh yeah, and it swallows cases of wine as though they are nothing...

It seems that my problem was a fairly unusual combination of new car with seating I didn't understand and an injury, though I'd still have to say the seat feels a bit unforgiving and not super comfortable, but thats very much a personal reaction.

Post #196928331st Jul 2018 12:33 pm
Pete2112

Wales 

adam wrote:
I know all folk are different shapes and sizes but I have spent hours at a time in the D4 seat and find it the most comfortable car I have ever sat in - as above - worth seeking professional help if you experienced same issue in a previous car?

Hello Very Happy
I'm Pete. I soon to be in the market of buying a D4
I have messaged you because hopefully clarify the above response you made...

Basically.. I need massive lumber support! Are D4s the vehicle I need?

Thank you in advance

Pete

Post #223245925th May 2021 8:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >