Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Massive problem with HSE drivers seat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
free1000

United Kingdom 
Massive problem with HSE drivers seat

I've had my Discovery 4 for a few days and its a tremendous car and I plan to keep and enjoy it.

I just have one problem, the drivers seat has 'injured' my back.

I think the problem is that even with the lumbar support dialled down to zero the curvature of the seat does not match my back profile, and the seat has little 'give' in the lumbar region.

This has happened before with a different car, a Kia Sorento, and in that case a couple of years ago I sold the car on at a big loss as there was a secondary problem with the seating position being too elevated. At the time I thought that the seating position was the issue causing me the back damage but now I realise it may be a generic problem with modern cars with stiff built in lumbar support.

In that case the pain induced by driving the car for just an hour or two took two months to go away. Apparently the seat caused a tendon strain, that takes a long time to repair.

This time I'll keep the LR4, I love it and its the right car for me. The question is how to fix this, both short term so that I can take it on a family holiday to the south of France in 3 weeks time and then longer term.

I should say my 20 year old Saab 9-3 and 15 year old Subaru Forester, and innumerable other cars I've hired in the USA including a number of US made Sorento's have given me no problem whatever, it seems to be something to do with EU/UK models made in the last 10 years.

The options I can think of are.

1. Find another seat compatible with the car, or a custom seat.

2. Get an upholsterer to modify the seat

3. Fit a custom cushion to the seat. (May not work)

Short term I'll probably have to do 3. for the holiday, I'm resolved to carving some memory foam to make a shape that removes the sharp bend in the seat profile. Once I have the profile sorted out I can order some different density blocks online to see which works best.

Of 1. the problem is whether an alternative seat, preferably from Land Rover would be any better and not hurt me, and whether the solution is affordable.

Of 2. this obviously changes the re-sale value of the car to someone who needs the controllable lumbar support mechanism if I have it replaced by upholstery that has some give in it. My main worry is whether the other memory settings such as steering wheel, seat position and mirrors would stop working if the lumbar bag and etc. were removed.

3. Is only a work around as I don't think it will ultimately be sufficiently reliable and my current work around cushion requires me to put the seat into a position thats not safe in an impact as the head restraint is too far back from my head.

Post #195755727th Jun 2018 9:11 am
johnlad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Get some physio to give you some exercises to stretch and strengthen your weak back area, as I think the problem is with you not the seat.

Post #195756127th Jun 2018 9:19 am
adam

United Kingdom 

I know all folk are different shapes and sizes but I have spent hours at a time in the D4 seat and find it the most comfortable car I have ever sat in - as above - worth seeking professional help if you experienced same issue in a previous car?

Post #195756727th Jun 2018 9:29 am
Sea Raider

Also be careful if you mess with the seat, in case it has airbags fitted to it

Post #195757227th Jun 2018 9:47 am
free1000

United Kingdom 

Yes, it could be me... I guess, age, weight, mind, early onset moaning etc.

But yes, I will be consulting a physio as I need to be put right now. Its worth a try.

Only thing I would point out is that I've driven tens of thousands of miles in long journeys in a variety of cars in the US in the last 10 years, as well as driving my Saab and a Subaru and have no problems with them.

Post #195757327th Jun 2018 9:47 am
free1000

United Kingdom 

Sea Raider wrote:
Also be careful if you mess with the seat, in case it has airbags fitted to it

Yeah, I phoned an upholsterer and they won't touch it. I think that ideas a non-starter

Post #195757427th Jun 2018 9:48 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think if you did a poll of comfort of the D4 Drives seat it would be very heavily sided to being comfortable.

I would imagine that US market seats are built to suit the more Whistle weightier drivers and thus offer less ridged seats?
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #195757627th Jun 2018 9:53 am
free1000

United Kingdom 

Ha yeah, I am heartily built, fully 6' 4"

>>> Edit

I just remembered something, I had a bad fall resulting in a concussion a week ago, it might be that weakened my back muscles... as it certainly strained the abs which were a bit painful.

I had been drinking and stumbled when I got off my mountain bike (not a good mixture) and fell straight bang on my back and head. It was like a KO.

I've called a physio. maybe that is the root cause.

Post #195758027th Jun 2018 10:03 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Make sure you have had a good play with the seats. They are really adjustable.

When I deflate the lumbar on mine, it feels really soft with loads of flex. I generally have mine with full lumbar blown up.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #195758327th Jun 2018 10:07 am
free1000

United Kingdom 

Quote:
it feels really soft with loads of flex

Mine is rock hard even with it zeroed, maybe theres a fault. I can feel the bag deflate when I use the round buttons.

But when I use the lumbar control, I can feel it push into me, the motor is nearly silent. When I try to retract it I can't really feel anything happening, but it can't just be moving in one direction.

Post #195758627th Jun 2018 10:09 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Massive problem with HSE drivers seat

free1000 wrote:

2. Get an upholsterer to modify the seat

best solution.....but after

johnlad wrote:
Get some physio to give you some exercises to stretch and strengthen your weak back area, or good suggestion how to modify the seat.
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #195758727th Jun 2018 10:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have used similar lumbar support for years having two slipped disks and I cant complain too much even when taking a trip home which is normally 19H drive

G

Post #195758927th Jun 2018 10:13 am
free1000

United Kingdom 

I feel for you. My other half has a long standing back problem that is apparently unfixable, luckily I've never had a problem before now, we keep well exercised.

I'm going belt and braces and have ordered an expensive lumbar support device just in case that fixes it. I really, really want to enjoy this car on holiday.

Post #195760227th Jun 2018 10:33 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I sympathise with your problem as I had to sell my first D3, with manual seats, as I couldn't get comfortable and ended up with neck and shoulder pain after about 2 hrs driving. I changed to a HSE , with electric adjust and that solved the problem, much more fine adjustment. I have found the lumber adjust tricky to get right, what feels just right initially, often in practise is wrong. Also a couple of mm one way or another makes a huge difference to the comfort. One or two forum members have said the D4 seat is not so good as the D3. I trust you find a solution. As an aside, the most uncomfortable seat I have ever had, was in a VW Jetta rental in US.

Post #195760327th Jun 2018 10:37 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

free1000 wrote:
Quote:
it feels really soft with loads of flex

Mine is rock hard even with it zeroed, maybe theres a fault. I can feel the bag deflate when I use the round buttons.

But when I use the lumbar control, I can feel it push into me, the motor is nearly silent. When I try to retract it I can't really feel anything happening, but it can't just be moving in one direction.

Are the round buttons not the bolsters? I thought off the top of my head the long button was the lumbar, but might be getting confused myself now!

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #195760427th Jun 2018 10:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >