DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Mystery Vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bronco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Mystery Vibration

Hi and thanks for having me.

About a month ago I was driving my D4 on the motorway when it suddenly started vibrating badly through the steering. I said to the missus we must have a puncture and pulled onto the hard shoulder the vibrating continued until we stopped. Had a check and all the tyres looked good, had a look underneath in case something was stuck under but all looked good. We decided to drive to the next exit a couple of miles away so set off slowly and noticed the vibration had gone, increased speed slowly up to 70 and all was fine so we carried on with our journey and put it down to maybe a foreign object getting inside a wheel somehow causing a severe imbalance and then falling out when we stopped.

Since then the disco has been used daily without any problem - until today. Once again on the motorway doing 70 MPH and suddenly everything is vibrating again probably worse than the first time however when I backed off the vibrating reduced and stopped completely about 40 MPH I then slowly edged back to 70 and all was fine so I finished my trip of about another 120 miles and all was well. I am totally bewildered by this and have now lost confidence in the car, has anyone out there got any pointers as to what it may be or what I should check I need the car for my job so need to get to the bottom of it quite urgently.

Post #22766242nd Feb 2022 8:51 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Had this on mine before I learnt not to let LR dealership ‘technicians’ adjust the parking brake shoes. Whistle One side, the linings had disbonded from the shoes, and were jamming and disintegrating inside the drum Shocked If you can check the temperature of the drum part of the rear discs ( preferably with an infra red thermometer), if this occurs again, this may help you pinpoint which one. Or indeed any of the brake discs, as it could be a caliper partially seized also.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years. 

Last edited by DN on 2nd Feb 2022 9:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22766282nd Feb 2022 9:35 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Could be the epb binding.

Best bet is get it over to JAS to check out.
https://www.jas-lr.co.uk/about/
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #22766292nd Feb 2022 9:35 pm
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

If it's through the steering and as you describe I'd also check for a stuck brake caliper on the front

If it happens again feel the wheel centres if one is very hot that'll be where your problem is
 Mark  
Post #22766312nd Feb 2022 9:49 pm
Percyprod

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

It was happening before I had new discs and pads fitted but is still there. New rear prop shaft fitted as well, if it happened all the time, it wouldn't be such a mystery, but in a journey today of about 150 miles it happened for no more than a mile or two, worse when pulling harder, but even coming up Lindale hill, a mile or so long and quite steep, there was no problem. Nothing is worse than an intermittent fault!
 LR 4 se
Grey
Nice wheels 

Post #230728011th Sep 2022 10:05 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Did you mean to post that here https://disco4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2307281#2307281 ?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #230730912th Sep 2022 1:54 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

judder coming off the front through the steering is a common issue especially with automatics due to ridging appearing on the front brake discs from holding the brakes at the lights etc. Basically material from the pads gets baked onto the discs impercetibly. You can't detect the ridges but the effect on steering is dramatic. I had it for ages, would become almost undriveable at 70 mph, pull off the road, stop, wait for a minute or so then continue the journey with no issues. I had assumed that the steering or suspension was failing, and spent money get it looked over, wheels aligned etc etc Rolling Eyes

Solution is to replace pads and discs, ideally with OEM or high quality. I put brembos on mine and gone. I also use park brake or park at the traffic lights now rather than hold on footbrake, or keep the wheels turning very slowly.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/brake-judde...91152.html
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Last edited by ruggedpeak on 12th Sep 2022 1:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #230736912th Sep 2022 1:11 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

and as with any fault of a D3/4 check your battery is putting out enough voltage. Also had juddering and overheating brakes from low battery voltage causing ETC to cut in whilst driving normally.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #230737212th Sep 2022 1:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >