Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

New Brakes All round - Compare the costs!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
New Brakes All round - Compare the costs!

Hi folks,

JUst got mine back from the dealers - in for some warranty work suprisingly. Whilst it was being "test driven" the worn Brake Pad light came on the dash and Info Screen.

Car was in Taunton Landrover who I have dealt with now for 6 moths and been very happy - they have done mainly warranty work. its done 72,000 miles now.

They reckon it needs Discs & PAds all round. quoted me £583.57 for 4 new discs and new pads allround, including parts & labour. - Ouch.

So I rang Matford in Exeter - they quoted me £410 for the same, fitted! - Ouch - but slightly quieter!

I searched some threads on this, but couldn't find any reference to the cost of a full set fitted?

Anyone out there got a better deal?

ALso - Taunton quoted £378 for 75k service, Matford £400.

CHeers

Rich

Post #12440627th Jan 2007 12:02 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've had two occasions in recent years where main dealers have said my vehicles need new pads and discs all around, costing around £550. Yet in the previous 15 years of driving older cars and therefore not using main dealers for servicing, I've only every once needed a set of front discs. I do suspect that dealers change the discs unnecessarily and it's all a bit of a money making racket. Both times I got caught, my vehicles had done less than 20,000 miles from new. On one of the occasions the Vauxhall dealer refused to give me my van back until they did the work, on the grounds that I signed a job sheet/form and in the small print it said it allowed them to undertake any work on safety grounds. Tried asking for the old parts back....then listened to every excuse under the sun. Will never accept this again.

However, at 72,000 miles then this seems fair enough. The discs 'could' need replacing. I would be a little wary though, it might just need a set of pads.
 Matt  
Post #12441227th Jan 2007 12:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Duncster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Seems a bargain to me I paid over £500 just for rear pads and disks - they did change thepark shoes as well
 15 3.0 RRS HSE - Silver
05 2.7TDV6 S AUTO Silver - Retro-fitted Leather. 

Post #12441327th Jan 2007 12:49 am
MrT

England 

I had front discs replaced on a Transit van at the 30,000 mile service (they measured them and said they were below vehicle makers reccomended thickness), they claimed discs wear now due to asbestos having been taken out of pads, but main dealers seem more keen to reccomend this work.

The prices are quite suprising when you consider Taunton and Matford along with Yeovil all have the same parent company! This I found out in 1992 when Taunton offered me more for a trade in than Matford, when I mentioned this they said that's strange as we are the same company and suddenly could only offer the same as Matford.

Post #12441927th Jan 2007 1:38 am
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Guys,

Thanks for all that - really interesting. Matford, Taunton & Yeovil the same company - that IS intersting, I rang all 3 of them for the quote, matford was the best and its booked in opn Wednesday.

I will be asking for the parts back!

Cheers

Rich

Post #12471428th Jan 2007 11:16 pm
qualified LR mechanic

United Kingdom 
prices are MAD!!!!

please read my post titled "mechanics pay" and see your huge prices from our side of the office door. no wonder all good mechanics are leaving the trade and im sorry to tell you that your probably paying for a "boy" to do easy jobs like brakes. He'll be on £3 per hour.

Post #13055116th Feb 2007 7:54 pm
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Surely lr mechanic could do this kind of work for a much more reasonable price AND make a good living doing it.

Are you allowed to moonlight? Especially as you own your own tools.

There are several folk doing this on the smart forums and they do well and provide a fabulous quality of work!
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #13058716th Feb 2007 8:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >