DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

NFU insurance, cheaper if you ask !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
NFU insurance, cheaper if you ask !!

Looking for renewal prices for my D3, insurance due end of next week. NFU quoted a huge increase in the premium, up from less than £600 last year, to £880. Upon appealing to them, I got it down to £660.

However, I have been comparing the meerkat, and go-compare etc, and the best deal I can come up with is with Swiftcover who quote £380 which of course is massively cheaper than NFU.

OK, in NFU favour, the excess is less, they offer protected ncb, and legal. I don't need breakdown, and NFU cover off road use. Also, and this is a big issue - gap insurance is included in NFU policy, on cars up to 2 years old. My D3 is just 1 year old.

I could get comparable cover elsewhere (minus the gap insurance but with same excess and features) for about £100 cheaper than NFU, but how much is a years gap cover on a HSE that does 30k miles per year.

Post #5478758th Nov 2009 6:58 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My D1 and D3 are on the same policy with NFU and the renewal will be dropping through the door sometime soon.

What was the nature of your appeal Gareth, apart from too expensive?
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #5479348th Nov 2009 8:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The appeal was a phone call to my local office and a simple request for explanation of the big hike in prices. They told me they had a new system. Then they tried to say my cost had gone up because my car was renewed during the year, and was worth more than the car I had at last renewal.

I then pointed out that all the much cheaper competing quotes were also for my new vehicle Laughing

So I told them that I had no reason other than price to move to another insurer, so if they could come close to what I paid last year I would stay with them. I gave them 5 days to get back to me with another quote.

Four days later, I got an email saying that the underwriters had agreed to lower the premium, and they also gave me a further 15% loyalty discount.

I have to be honest, I am minded to stay with them, even though they are expensive. They do seem to offer good cover, and there is an element of "better the devil you know"

Post #5480538th Nov 2009 10:44 pm
BORDER ROVER

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I recently recieved my renewal quote from my broker for a policy with aviva, i was previously with Norwich Union one of the same now. My premium last year was in the region of £550 a year, this year they quted me £880 i nearly Sh** a brick. I went on line with aviva to get a quote out of interest and it came back as £350 a year. I duly rang up the broker and bombarded them with loads of questions as to why they were quoting me so much for an Aviva policy when i could get the same for approx £500 cheaper. I got all the bumpf of postcode, expensive car and such a low excess. I informed them that they were talking out of their hoop and have taken up the Aviva policy.
 POT NOODLE NAVIGATION CHALLENGE 2010 WINNER
Club Sankey
Club pie and peas 

Post #5480898th Nov 2009 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philhunt

Thumbs Up Thanks Gareth. Will bear all that you've said in mind when I get my NFU renewal quote.

Like you, if I can get a quote around the same as last year I'll be inclined to stay with them even if I can save a few quid by going elsewhere.
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #5481428th Nov 2009 11:46 pm
al cope

England 

I thought you could only buy gap cover within 14 days of purchase of the car.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5482209th Nov 2009 9:42 am
bigdal

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Insure both my D3 and Mrs Big Dal's D1 with the NFU and have done for many years

I agree they are not the cheapest but we did have cause to claim with them 6 or 7 years ago
Claim was a total loss on a D1 and I have to say was one of the easyest things I have ever had to deal with insurance wise

Got a fair price for the Vehicle got to retain my cherished plate off it (which I believe is not a given right) and they also payed out for damage to Mrs Big Dal's clothing and jewelery

Great to deal with and if you use your local office you can actually go in a deal face to face

I know they are not the cheapest and people use the arguement about never having to claim, but when its time to you want it right and fair

Big Dal
 Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them!!!!!!  
Post #5483209th Nov 2009 1:50 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Just got our Insurance renewal through today at £346 but it does have £500 excess. Insured through I.A.M scheme which is OK but will probably have a go at getting cheaper from direct line or similar.
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #54871510th Nov 2009 12:14 am
philhunt

Got my NFU renewal through last week. My D1 and D3 are on the same policy. Even with the double mutual bonus this year, it had gone up substantially.

Phoned my local NFU branch and expressed shock. Said I'd prefer to stay with NFU but too expensive. A call from the local branch to the underwriters resulted in a 12% reduction so I'm with NFU for another year!

Post #57024025th Dec 2009 6:06 pm
Buckingham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

NFU were more expensive for me at £670...they offered to drop it by £50 but that was all...
Ended up going through Adrian Flux....£300 cheaper...

Swiftcover were the cheapest at £257 but did want to know as soon as I mentioned winch, RAI, etc...

From what I understand round here the NFU are losing business left, right and chelsea....
 nil admirari

Post #57024225th Dec 2009 6:15 pm
SJ

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I just got covered by NFU fully comp. 08 HSE £426. (I did say my milage would be less than 8K as I'll be out of the country for most of next year!)

Post #57053627th Dec 2009 1:12 pm
oop north

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

just changed car over for 54 D3 HSE arriving Friday (hopefully) and cost for over 20k miles pa is £456 (including small extra to cover payment by instalments). We get a good discount by having house and wife's car also insured with NFU

Post #58402418th Jan 2010 5:12 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

NFU Direct renewal came in last week at 550, direct line at 500. No off road cover, but like for like hire car vs 1l Nova with NFU. Suppose I should try NFU local branch too...

EDIT: Confirmed they really meant 3l not 2.7 as per all previous conversations, and that put the renewal up to £640! Time for some more calls

Post #58403818th Jan 2010 5:32 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I just renewed with NFU. I did complain about the premium hike to local office and got a "loyalty" discount Thumbs Up

and they are nicer to deal with than a call centre........it is always the same person who answers the phone.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #58463419th Jan 2010 8:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >