Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Tips & Tricks

How NOT to lock yourself out of your D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Try getting out of the passenger door and locking it.

Post #15234226th Apr 2007 6:48 pm
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

And hopefully in conclusion...

I now tend to agree with Zebadee, IF you concentrate on the drivers door. Gareth is quite correct too concerning passenger door.

To add to the others comments about the "click effect", I just tried it. If you let the drivers door close so it is only part shut i.e. you can get your finger tips under the edge of the door, it is still locked and you are locked out as per my original post. This was the state I was in and can replicate it easily. Try it Zebadee.

NOW, if you push the door fully closed (which I was way too scared to do when I was locked out because in that state it was a potential access via wire), the "click effect" DOES come in and as others have observed the drivers door unlocks itself. This does not work on passenger doors.

So I spent a heart stopping 30minutes worrying for nothing! Embarassed But learnt a good lesson. Yawn Time for bed.
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #15236226th Apr 2007 7:24 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

scolliss wrote:
.............................If you let the drivers door close so it is only part shut......................it is still locked and you are locked out as per my original post. This was the state I was in and can replicate it easily. Try it Zebadee.

Ah Ha, that was the flaw in my experiment, I didn't try that, but I will tomorrow.

scolliss wrote:
NOW, if you push the door fully closed.......................the "click effect" DOES come in and as others have observed the drivers door unlocks itself.

Good to know

scolliss wrote:
This does not work on passenger doors.

Even more important know Shocked

As you say scolliss a lesson well learned Thumbs Up

Post #15248226th Apr 2007 10:47 pm
Phat Naquer

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've had this paranoia since I had my D2. Fortunately, my girlfriend was driving it at the time and had gone off with her shooting buddies for a day in the countryside. She got back to the pub in the evening, pressed the unlock button on the dash and got out and shut the drivers door (note: she did press the 'Unlock' button). Opened the tailgate and the others got their guns and stuff out and one of them slammed the door. Unluckily, at that point,, the offside headlight bulb blew. Just went pop, and the central locking locked itself. Also unluckily, my girlfriend was still on her way back to the front of the vehicle so all the doors were shut. Engine running, doors locked, vehicle parked in the entrance to a busy pub car park. Fortunately, the pub was 5 minutes drive from our house and I had the spare key there, so I was able to sort it out, but there was a good deal of Censored -taking going on when I got there.

Simon

Post #15252127th Apr 2007 7:03 am
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I've noticed that when I fill up at the garage the central locking activates automatically when the fuel cap is open! I've always had a paranioa of leaving the key out of the ignition but inside the car since this first occurred. Why should it do this when fillling up, but not when the car is simply stood empty. It is not just the immobiliser actioning - the car is locked!

Post #15262527th Apr 2007 12:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Some years ago the Wife parked at a local corner shop in one of our cars (cannot remember which one) left baby daughter asleep in the car and engine running. (told her off severely for doing this). Went into the shop and when she came out the door was locked!

She panicked big time and eventually the shopkeeper got a local small garage out who managed to put the a wire inside the door and open the lock! Phew!!

I always take the key out if I am getting out of the car, unless it is just to check something then I have always in the past checked the doors are unlocked. Seems to have been something I am paranoid about already.

Chris

Post #15330930th Apr 2007 5:10 pm
cobby

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had this happen to me a few years back so when I did eventually get back home I got a key blade cut and I now have it taped to an accessible part of the outside of my Disco so if it happens again (which it hasn't) I can get in through the passenger door. I braised a small T piece to the top of the blade to help turn it in the lock.

Post #197510518th Aug 2018 10:55 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Wow, 11 years to respond, good effort. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #197513918th Aug 2018 12:42 pm
cobby

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I know but I'm a very slow reader but thought the solution I put forward to be useful :whistle

Post #197514218th Aug 2018 12:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >