DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Did an oil and filter change at the weekend
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
goodo

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Did an oil and filter change at the weekend

Good morning,

So I did an oil and filter change at the weekend, the old-fashioned, crawling under the car way. It wasn't too hard. I put the car in raised height, put some axle stands underneath.

Removing the base plate was the hardest thing to do. It's heavy and I don't have an impact driver so it takes a while to come off. There seemed to be a fair amount of oily grime on the rear of the plate, this is around the sump, I'll keep an eye on that in the future.

The next step was to remove the oil filter (32mm socket)

Then release drain plug. large cardboard box unfolded acted as absorbent mat to keep the in-laws' driveway clear of oil spills. I used another piece of cardboard folded into a V shape to direct the hot oil out of the sump into a large washing up bowl. No dramas there either.

New drain plug in, and filled up with 6 litres of Castrol Edge Professional C1 and it came to within one mark of the top.

Air filter looked totally fine and probably didn't need changing but did it anyway.

Cabin filter was changed with a new carbon one.

I need to drain off the sludge from the diesel filter when I have a moment.

Also planned in the near future (I have all the parts ready to go, just need an afternoon free of children)

New discs and pads front and rear
Coolant change and thermostat replacement.

Used oil and mahle filters from Autodoc.co.uk Price for the lot (including their 40% off on the app) was £114.16 including delivery

Car's 10 years old 113k miles

Post #22446552nd Aug 2021 10:04 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I’ve used Autodoc (Germany) a lot, practically most of my consumables for the D3 come from them. I’ve found them to be sometimes slow on shipping but it’s always been the correct products and prices have been quite competitive. I also ordered my AT+ from them last summer and they were drop shipped from Pirelli.

One trick, that I’ve noticed, has been to put stuff in the shopping cart and wait for their “machine intelligence” to start increasing the rebate % until it suits me Whistle

Post #22446612nd Aug 2021 10:33 am
goodo

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I agree. I got a full set of brembo discs and pads for under £200 delivered thanks to their 40% off deal. I put it in the basket and, as you say, wait for the offer to reach the maximum. 40% is the highest I've seen to date.

Post #22446622nd Aug 2021 10:40 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I’ve got an excel where I track all expenses for the vehicle. I look at whether the prices increase over time or not for stuff like oil, filters, pads, etc. not just the rebate.

Also I purchased complete Brembo kit recently (pads, shoes, disks, pad sensors) Laughing

When they didn’t have ATF (Mannol) in stock but had it listed, so I clicked on an update from the app and in a few days time they showed stock again.

The only thing which is slightly annoying is that they try to constantly upsell you with 200 day returns for 5.5 eur, faster item collection (so basically send out stuff faster), etc. which I find slightly dodgy. And of course 3-4 times a week direct marketing emails. Still, for the price one can’t complain much. Thumbs Up

Post #22446652nd Aug 2021 10:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >